View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Error with TWGS 
Commander

Unread post 
I am getting an error with our TWGS that just started recently, and can't seem to track it down. Hopefully it is something simple, but I need to request any suggestions from the fellow TWGS SysOps.

I run our TWGS on Win XP Pro. I have two profiles setup on this machine. One is for the TWGS/VGA Planets (called Web2) and the second for misc usage (Called Mike). When I switch back to the Web2 profile, if I need to pull up the TWGS, I get an error. When the server is scheduled to be shutdown to rebang games, we get the same error. I've kept the TWGS window up one time and when switching back I manually went to click Shutdown and again the error came up. The error I am receiving is:

"Access violation at address 0044c878 in module 'twgs.exe'. Read of address 00000004."

The only time the error does not work and we can access the server is when I shutdown the twgs.exe process, then restart it. It appears after time, I can't do anything with it except shut it down via Task Manager. I am not loading the TWGS as a service.

I am curious if anyone else has had this similar issue, and the steps they took to correct the problem.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:16 pm
Gameop

Unread post 
Thrawn,  I'm not recalling the exact error I had when I experienced a simular if not the same issue, and it boiled down to a corrupt game.  I rebanged all games using fresh twa files, not existing data, and the problem cleared up.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
Do you have a shortcut of the exe in the startup folder for programs that start when the computer starts?

How do you have it setup to start, this may give a clue on what is going on, also it may be a read error when switching from one setup to another and the twgs can't deal with it. Also may be game corruptioin on it as well. I had something similar and it locked games out and wouldn't let people get in, so I had to do some reconfig of how I had it setup on my server then it started working okay again.

Vulcan

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

Unread post 
I call the TWGs.exe via a shortcut on my Desktop.

Lately it seems that this error appears when I switch to the WEB2 profile to access it. I thought maybe the dual monitor setup was the cause, or maybe using the Remote Administrator program was the issue, but neither are the cause.

I can't access the Command Center since I get this error. The downside is I have to shutdown the server completely, then restart it and disable logins if I need to rebang. It is not anything major from my perspective, as I can work around it. When the TWGS is minimized in the task tray, and I call it up, even this error appears, then our icon disappears. I then have to stop TWGS from Task Manager, then restart TWGS in full Window mode.

I thought about game corruptions, but all our games rebang fresh. I also added dual monitors and Remote Administrator, as I need to access my terminal when out in the field with SAR. Is it possible adding the dual monitor setup may be the issue?

--

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:57 pm
Gameop

Unread post 
Doubt the duel monitors are an issue, and I use remote on mine with no issues.
I'd check games banged since you started having this issue, and there's always the reinstall TWGS option

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Lance Corporal

Unread post 
I am having the same problem as Thrawn.  After I minimize the TWGS after some short length of time whenever I try to bring it back up I get the same access violation error. 
Help!  Anyone have any suggestions.  Is development able to reproduce this problem???

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:00 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I've seen this on some video card drivers, or when some apps are running in the background.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:39 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
Sing, that was going to be my next question.

Cause I use a remote to access my TWGS and it works fine, it only gave issues when using 2 operating setups, or accounts, I log in on one it works fine, I log in on the other I get errors. So I finally set it for one account only for access and it works fine, and use only that side to work with the TWGS. Also some spyware removal programs cause issues with it, cause they think it is a spyware trying to report home. I use Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, and SuperAntiSpyware, along wiith my A/V program, and it runs like a champ. I can't remember the name of the anti spyware program I had that gave issues with my TWGS but those listed I know do not interfere with it.

Vulcan

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:53 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Unread post 
But if all fails try totally uninstalling the TWGS and going into the registry and removing all instances to it from the registry and totally reinstalling it to see if it solves the problem, cause it sounds like something in the twgs got corrupted.

Vulcan

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:55 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Lance Corporal

Unread post 
I dont think its to do with antivirus, this problem is happening on a system without virus protection.  And I also do not think it has to do with video card or a corrupt install because the program works fine as long as I dont minimize it to systray and try to restore it...
My gut feel is that there is a programming error, not an environment or install issue.  I've tried two different systems (a win2k and a win2k3 server and it happens on both). 

Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:51 am
Commander

Unread post 
I never had an issue with having the two profiles. It has only been just recently, and as stated before the only changes was the Remote Administrator program and ading a secondary monitor. If I switch to the second profile, restoring from the tray produces the error. Keeping the TWGS open and entering this profile also produces the error when trying to shut it down or access Alien Manager.

I could try to reinstall the TWGS and see if that fixes the problem.

--

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:04 am
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I saw this error on Trader Vic's a while back when working on his game bot. I was using logmein for remote access, and when I minimized the TWGS window I couldn't restore the tray without getting this error. Once logmein's remote access program was shut down the error stopped happening.

So I tend to think it's related to TWGS and another app trying to access the same area of memory... and getting a glitch as a result.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:18 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Unread post 
I appreciate all the posts. I've tried the reinstall method, and still the same thing. I don't run the Remote Admin on the OCS TWGS machine and it's fine. I think that Sing has nailed it with the TWGS and the app accessing the same area.

Here's a thought. Remote Admin allows full control, file transfers, chat, and telnet. Is it possible the telnet portion is the issue?

--

Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:07 pm
Commander

Unread post 
Actually after further testing this morning, it is not the Remote Admin application at all. I have tried a reinstall, same error comes up. As I stated before, our TWGS runs in a different profile on the XP machine. When I switch to that profile, the error appears. I've tried on the W2K machine and the same error occurs. If I remain in the profile, then it is fine. I believe it has to be something here on my system I use for my work, and for some reason it's causing the error.

On the brighter side, it is good for us as the Command Console, Alien Manager, spy window, etc is no longer accessible. The downside is I can't give a 5 min warning to shutdown anymore.

I appreciate all the input, but would like to know if anyone manages to find the solution.

--

Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:45 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Grab a copy of hijaack this and run it and post the log? Maybe we can better identify possible culprits.

Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:27 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next