View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Script messing up database and causing se 
Gameop

Unread post 
Anyone heard of a script such as this one reported by a player on MTW?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are two corps that are using a script which has been banned on all other boards.
fficeffice" />>> 
The script, which is not available to the public, is a ship drop and fig drop script.  It messes with the data base in the game.  The game thinks that a fighter is in the sector with you but it’s not, the game logs out both players.  Player X, who is using the script, could not be convinced of this and logged both he and I out of the game about 6X during the truce.

When I came back into the game after being disconnected, this was in the sector with me>>
                 Fighters: 5,000 (belong to Corp#X, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) [Defensive]>>
So not only did he log me out of the game but placed those figs there so I couldn’t attack.>>
I have told him repeatedly that the problem is his script and that it lags the game and messes up the data base.

I know it’s a pain but could you also ban that script.  I think that they are modifying a script wrote by dny but not sure.  Those corps need to know that I am not tagging them and it’s the script that they insist on using that lags the server and messes up the data base. >>

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
I don't think it's possible to "ban a script" but you can make penaltys severe to the players caught using them.
Also any player running a script known to mess up a game Dbase ought to be banned, then posted IP on all the forums for other sysops to ban, then flogged just for the H*** of it.

http://www.twsubspace.com <-- Expired
Teamspeak 3 50.23.212.53:4196 <-- Expired
Just a has been now.

Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I know of no way to make a ship drop or fig drop script (wtf?) cause that problem. But I have noticed that overloaded servers tend to have a lot of desynch problems, this has been going on for almost a year now.

There are a few scripts that can lag the server. But I don't know of any that can cause database corruption. Perhaps the game was just having random connection problems? It does happen from time to time...

What script was it? Get me more information and I'll examine it.

None of my scripts, public or private, are designed to lag a server or cause database or node corruption. Altho it would be possible to modify a few of my public scripts to create lag in the wrong environment.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
If I understand right, one of your player wrote this.  I know of no script that would corrupt databases, or make the game think there are fighters where there aren't any.  I think maybe the player got disconnected and when he came back they had laid figs in the sector.   There's no reason he shouldn't have been able to attack unless he had no figs, however, if he tried to retreat and was in a one way sector, there may not have been a place to retreat to.
It sounds to me that the player doesn't know a lot about the game to make such a report.

Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:40 am
Veteran Op

Unread post 
There's a confirmed bug that occurs sometimes involving killing fighters, timing and perhaps the msg queue. If everything is right, it bumps one or more of the players offline.

This happens most frequently when people are running grid scripts at the same time, and there's a few well known ways to exploit this bug with some chasing grid scripts (used mostly in truce games or early unlims).

In that light, it would be possible to knock someone off and drop figs under them to mess them up, but it wouldn't be the result of a corrupted DB... just a bug exploit. Lame, but impossible to stop until the bug is fixed.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:07 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I have noticed this several times first hand. It "seems" its happened (like sing said) when running a gridder or even something like an ssm that lays figs while searching for sectors.   It looked like to me, mostly, when 2 players try to lay a fig in the same sector at the same time. Usually when logging back on there is a enemy fig over me.. and/or the other trader sitting in same sector with me... also logged off.

just my few experiences

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:33 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
I know of your issue Data, Sing and I have been discussing it and I think it is a timing issue with the twgs, Sing and I were going to test it till he got bad news about his mom, I will try to keep on working to see what the true issue is, hopefully it will be found out soon, I will get with EP or one of the other scripters and we will continue to test till Sing is able to get back to things.

Vulcan

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]