View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Command line ... start server 
Sergeant

Unread post Command line ... start server
While I have yet to buy TWGS ... I'd like to run a slightly longer game in order to see if my family would enjoy it enough to warrant the purchase.

Is there a command line executable that can restart the server after it shuts down? Please understand, this is ONLY for my family to figure out how to play the game and see if they enjoy it.

Thanks guys ...

Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:40 pm
Site Admin

Unread post Re: Command line ... start server
SkizzlePig wrote:
While I have yet to buy TWGS ... I'd like to run a slightly longer game in order to see if my family would enjoy it enough to warrant the purchase.

Is there a command line executable that can restart the server after it shuts down? Please understand, this is ONLY for my family to figure out how to play the game and see if they enjoy it.

Thanks guys ...

sorry i could be wrong but im unawre of a command line executible of course many others here may no more.

Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:46 pm
Veteran Op

After it shuts down how? There are numerous command-line options to do a lot of things. What, specifically, do you want to do?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:10 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

SkizzlePig wrote:

Thanks guys ...

If you use the option to load the TWGS as a service, then you can use the command lines as follows:

twgsserv install --> installs TWGS as service; you can then use start or stop option
twgsserv start --> starts the server
twgsserv stop --> stops the server; does not exit the twgs program, but does stop the server and all processes

Some of us old time SysOps use to use this feature if we needed to run specific maintenance or backups. It worked well in the event I wanted to backup my TWGS but then what happened is some software won't backup if the application is still running.

Now, from my experience, and depending on your setup, I do not use the service at all. There have been many that have had issues. It is easier and less headaches in the long haul to open the TWGS program and click Stop Server button, give a 5 min warning if players are on it.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]