View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Question about setting up a TW server for friends 
Unread post Question about setting up a TW server for friends
Hey guys,

After having not played TW2002 since grade school, I recently got motivated and put together a small home server for, among other things, hosting a TW game. It's an AMD Phenom quad core, 4gb ram, etc etc, basically not bad at all. My question is about connectivity. I am trying to get one of my friends in college to connect to my machine, but we're having trouble getting through either mine or her router. I'd really like to solve this before plunking down $45 to receive my registration. Speaking of that, I hear there's a sizeable time delay in getting ones code from the time they place an order. Is there anyone we could talk to about expediting that? Furthermore are there any college discounts for a sorority-based Vintage Gaming Club? Thanks..

Jenni

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:51 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Question about setting up a TW server for friends
Quote:
I am trying to get one of my friends in college to connect to my machine, but we're having trouble getting through either mine or her router.

Setup some other kind of server, like an FTP server (filezilla is free) and work it out. Most likely it's a port forwarding issue on your end. Do you have admin access to the router?

Quote:
Speaking of that, I hear there's a sizeable time delay in getting ones code from the time they place an order.

At the moment, yes.

Quote:
Is there anyone we could talk to about expediting that?

Fire off an email to JP before you buy it, see what his turn-around is. That'd be my guess.

Quote:
Furthermore are there any college discounts for a sorority-based Vintage Gaming Club?

Doubt it. But you'd need to ask JP directly about that.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:18 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Your computer specs are just fine for the TWGS.

As Sing has mentioned, check the admin on the routers. If you are using port 23 for the TWGS, then you need to forward port 23 from the router to the internal machine rinning the TWGS. Be aware that the default port for telnet is port 23, so if you are trying to use port 23 in the TWGS, try changing to a different port, especially if you are running other apps that need or use port 23. You can specify a port in the TWGS setup. I have an online tutorial for SysOps to configure your TWGS if needed. It is here:

http://www.outpost-4.com/tradewars/index.php?option=content&pcontent=1&task=view&id=76&Itemid=120 --> click on the TWGS- Configuration HTML link.

So for example, I run a TWGS (uses port 2002) on a machine. The machine has an internal IP of 192.168.0.4 because I am behind a router. My router admin has the port forwarding 2002 to IP 192.168.0.4, so as each person connects to my TWGS on port 2002, it routes to the internal machine my TWGS is residing on.

Also, is your friend trying to connect to an IP or domain name? If you are using an IP, be sure to give the external IP (which you can get from the admin side of a router). A common mistake is a sysop notes their internal IP and gives that instead of an external IP. Another issue overlooked to new sysops is when you configure the TWGS, under the Server tab select IP Addr to Auto (it is in my tutorial).

To get the external IP, access the admin of the router and usually most routers have a Router Status. Look for the IP address it shows it has received from your ISP. If your friend is trying to connect to your TWGS, they can use telnet just like the following example:

Example--

Your External IP is 10.11.12.13
Your port on the TWGS is 2002

They can click on Start, Run, then type: "telnet 10.11.12.13 2002" (no quotes) and click ok

You can also do the same to test to see if it is in fact your end or not. If your router is not properly setup, then you won't connect to your own TWGS using an external IP. If you can connect, then you know it is not you.

Hope that helps out somewhat :)

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:37 pm
Veteran Op

If you're using port 23 also check your firewall software. A lot of firewalls (windows FW, etc) will filter port 23 since it's a traditional port for telnet and wingate.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:14 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]