View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Can't get TWGS to bang games 
Gameop

Unread post Can't get TWGS to bang games
Ok. I had a computer built so that I could get my TWGS off of my laptop and onto it's own hard drive but am running into problems. The main problem is that I've got TWGS installed on my drive E but can't bang any games. I had exported the ones from the laptop then sent them to the new desktop via email. Can anyone help with this irritating problem? Is it that TWGS can't or won't run on any drive but C? It says it's registered so it's taken the codes so that can't be the problem. Any ideas?

ahabstwgs.game-host.org
msn orkidz4u@hotmail.com
yahoo orkidz4u@yahoo.com
msn IM Ahab
yahoo IM Orkidz4u

Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:08 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Unread post Re: Can't get TWGS to bang games
Ahab wrote:
Ok. I had a computer built so that I could get my TWGS off of my laptop and onto it's own hard drive but am running into problems. The main problem is that I've got TWGS installed on my drive E but can't bang any games. I had exported the ones from the laptop then sent them to the new desktop via email. Can anyone help with this irritating problem? Is it that TWGS can't or won't run on any drive but C? It says it's registered so it's taken the codes so that can't be the problem. Any ideas?

TWGS can run on any valid drive. I run mine on an M:\ and never had any issues. Couple of areas to look at to start:

1. When you exported, did you export as a TWA then import? Or was it just a copy of the directory? Just asking so I am clear of how you did it, because i've seen issues when you archive the dir and send it over to the other computer.

2. Check your paths in your setup to ensure you are pointing to the correct location for each game. By default, when you add a game it puts it in a \tw1, \tw2, etc directory.

3. Ensure the server is stopped before importing or rebanging.

Other ideas would be to delete the game directories you have (ex: tw1, tw2, etc) and then go back to your settings and re-add your games. Then you can attempt to import and try again.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:16 pm
Gameop

Thanks Thrawn, it turned out to be the paths. Shut down the server and went to configure and made sure anything showing a path to the server said E:\ rather than C:\ and it works. Sometimes it's the simple things that trip us up.

ahabstwgs.game-host.org
msn orkidz4u@hotmail.com
yahoo orkidz4u@yahoo.com
msn IM Ahab
yahoo IM Orkidz4u

Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:43 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Lol, even the most experienced still get tripped up. Glad to be of help ;)

--

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:13 pm
Veteran Op

Thrawn wrote:

Good catch Thrawn. Heh. I must have been daydreaming when I read this post. Now that you pointed it out, it's obvious.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:23 am
Commander

Big D wrote:
Thrawn wrote:

Good catch Thrawn. Heh. I must have been daydreaming when I read this post. Now that you pointed it out, it's obvious.

<Shrug> It was an honest miss. We've done it here a few times, and it is always easier to look at the obvious first and work from there with troubleshooting. Just glad to be able to help.

--

Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 am
Gameop

Now if I could only get the games I have on my laptop over to this new desktop. I've tried exporting them yet when I get to the new desktop they aren't what they were. 5k sector 2k turn game turns into 1k sector 250 turn game, 20k sector game turns into the same 1k sector game and my copies of subzero and the neighborhood both do the same. I've tried exporting, I've even tried putting the files on my laptop into a zip file, sending them to me via email then extracting them with the same results. I haven't a clue why this is happening as it never did before.

I used to have an entire folder of .twa files that I'd gotten from Vader years ago but lost them in this last crash (no, I hadn't backed that folder up). Now I guess I've got to find someplace with a large selection of .twa files so I can replenish what I had. VidKid had reworked one of my files and I THINK he named it startrek.twa though I'm not real sure. He'd done that years ago for me. Heck, don't even know if HE would remember it. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ahabstwgs.game-host.org
msn orkidz4u@hotmail.com
yahoo orkidz4u@yahoo.com
msn IM Ahab
yahoo IM Orkidz4u

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 pm
Profile YIM
Commander

Ahab wrote:
Now if I could only get the games I have on my laptop over to this new desktop. I've tried exporting them yet when I get to the new desktop they aren't what they were. 5k sector 2k turn game turns into 1k sector 250 turn game, 20k sector game turns into the same 1k sector game and my copies of subzero and the neighborhood both do the same. I've tried exporting, I've even tried putting the files on my laptop into a zip file, sending them to me via email then extracting them with the same results. I haven't a clue why this is happening as it never did before.

I used to have an entire folder of .twa files that I'd gotten from Vader years ago but lost them in this last crash (no, I hadn't backed that folder up). Now I guess I've got to find someplace with a large selection of .twa files so I can replenish what I had. VidKid had reworked one of my files and I THINK he named it startrek.twa though I'm not real sure. He'd done that years ago for me. Heck, don't even know if HE would remember it. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

We've experienced similar problems once before. I use my laptop to create an edit, then transfer to our server desktop. When I ran the import, I noticed that the ships, planets, and settings were not there. What we did was delete the game files in the directory we were importing to. So for example, all the files in \tw1 including subdirs were removed (ansi, gold). Then I imported an edit, refreshed the list and rebanged. I also made sure that when I ran a rebang I selected "migrate data from existing game", selected the game letter from the drop menu, and selected General settings, Gold aliens, Gold Ships, and Gold Planets. Most of the time I don't have issues, but on the occassion I get the same issue as you have mentioned, the method we use seems to clear that up.

--

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:18 pm
Veteran Op

Yes it is always best to delete the entire folder when importing a game to a new server OR from 1 slot to another.

Also another option is to copy a folder from one server, and replace the entire folder on another server.

The game looks for all of it's specific files within that folder, unless there are specific ansi or description files used.

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 pm
Gameop

Hmmm..well, I tried the importing the whole game folder and that didn't work, but then I didn't think to delete was already in the game folder so I'll try that. I've never had a problem like this before and I will admit that it's throwing me so will try any suggestion tossed my way. Thanks Thrawn and BigD.

ahabstwgs.game-host.org
msn orkidz4u@hotmail.com
yahoo orkidz4u@yahoo.com
msn IM Ahab
yahoo IM Orkidz4u

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:17 pm
Profile YIM
Veteran Op

This wouldn't happen to be on Vista, by chance, would it?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:42 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Singularity wrote:
This wouldn't happen to be on Vista, by chance, would it?

Right, I forgot about that. Vista has issues trying to "copy" to the \Program Files\ or writing data to files in that area, unless you perform the function as Administrator. I run our TWGS on Vista (both Home and Premium) with no issues, but that's because I installed in c:\twgs. Good catch Sing.

@ Ahab
Where exactly is your TWGS installed? That is to say, what is the directory structure? (ex: c:\twgs, or c:\program files\etc...)

--

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Gameop

First, sorry this has taken me so long to answer but I ended back up in the hospital again. I'm running XP Pro x64 and the path is E:\program files\twgs. However, I can probably redo the path to simply read E:\twgs.

ahabstwgs.game-host.org
msn orkidz4u@hotmail.com
yahoo orkidz4u@yahoo.com
msn IM Ahab
yahoo IM Orkidz4u

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]