View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 TWGS and Windows 7 
Gameop

Unread post TWGS and Windows 7
Am trying to get my TWGS server running in local machine so I can start playing on a limited basis. I cannot seem to get TWGS to pick up port 23. I have done the port forwarding on the router to the computer. The windows firewall is open for port 23, TWGS was added as an exception to allow incomming port 23. I started the telnet service in Win 7. I went to http://canyouseeme.org/ and it was able to see the service running on port 23 but when I try to connect I get a big fat nothing. I tried with with the ip address and the re-direct chaostwgs.darktech.org. I verified the service was forwarding to the ip.

Are there any issues with Win 7?

I am just at a loss on why I cannot connect. I can connect local with no issues but going out and back in nothing. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: TWGS and Windows 7
Make sure you install TWGS in c:\twgs and not in the c:\program files(x86)\twgs folder. Win/TWGS/TWX do not get along if installed in the PF area. Plus just in case something else is using the port 23, set to 2002 just for testing, something might have turned on a telnet server and using port 23 with TWGS not running, open a command prompt and check netstat -a to see if something is using port 23. Hope that helps, with limited info best I can offer right now.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:34 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Sergeant

T0yman wrote:
Make sure you install TWGS in c:\twgs and not in the c:\program files(x86)\twgs folder. Win/TWGS/TWX do not get along if installed in the PF area. Plus just in case something else is using the port 23, set to 2002 just for testing, something might have turned on a telnet server and using port 23 with TWGS not running, open a command prompt and check netstat -a to see if something is using port 23. Hope that helps, with limited info best I can offer right now.

Yes. What he said.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:13 pm
Gameop

Sing helped me out last night. Seems that my router blocks me when I try to go out and come back in. Sing was able to log in to port 23 and to port 2002 with no problems but I could not. Gotta love AT&T 2 Wire routers. Need to give them a call. So I will just have to use the localhost for now.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:01 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Also oin Windows seven make sure you have the Telnet client on and the service off, Window seven has reinstated the telnet service on the O/S again. Well with Window seven Ultimate 64 anyway. You can use the TWGS in the program(X86) as well, but not in the regular program file on the x64 versions, but yeah the C\twgs is a lot better. I have tested in my system, I am thinking on bringing my TWGS back up and running, may have to use dyndns service till I can get my website back soon. Anyway I will keep all posted on that as well.

TBH glad to see you do have external connections, like I said, make sure the service it shut down on the O/S that may help in the conflicts. Just as added precaution.

Yeah ATT 2 wire routers suck, is it the ATT Uverse or the DSL one. I had many problems on the Uverse one till I bought the static IP block for 10 dollars more a month. then could set the server on a computer as a seperate network from the regular home one, then was able to access it, now with the lack of work and moving home to moms place, while looking for new work, I am on Comcast again. and can setup as needed what I need when needed.

Vulcan

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Okay I hope this little quick how to works for anyone with Windows 7, I am not sure if all Windows 7 have this feature or not, I know I have it on 7 Ultimate 64 bit, let me know if it works for anyone else.This works for my Windows 7 and internet service:

Okay I hope this helps, in Vista Telnet isn't supported, but in Windows 7 it is, I now have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and to get telnet on it working here is what you have to do. goto control panel>programs>programs and features>turn windows features on or off>then find the telnet client, and check it, don't check the telnet server if you are hosting a TWGS, you should have the client running then, this should work if you have the TWGS in the C:\ directory or in the programs(x86)directory. But remember make sure the service isn't on. also make sure your TWGS is set for the IP from the outside or website name you gave it, that may help as well, if you set the TWGS to local host, only you can access it, also make sure your router is port forwarding okay and your firewall is set to let it forward to the TWGS as well, and the anti virus program is set to let the forward to the TWGS go through. I think that is all I can think of, basically it is setting up the same as XP Pro.

I hope this helps any and all on the setup for getting Telnet working on your Windows 7 for all that have Windows 7.

Vulcan

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

I had the server and not the client running so switched it. No Luck. Even with the server running and the client running other people can connect into the twgs with no problems. It is me that cannot connect. Well I can connect using the local host but not though the dtdns server I have set up. Probably the 2wire router. It is for DSL. I do need to get a static IP address. Maybe that will help.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Bounty Hunter are you trying to use Telnet with IE or calling it up with the search in the start window? If with IE then you need this reg fix for IE to connect, otherwise you need to do this to telnet into the server:

Start> Search Programs and files>type in telnet, then click on the telnet.exe and it will open a window for telnetting into the server.

For telnetting in from IE download and use this, it works on IE8 as well as IE7: http://library.osu.edu/sites/it/CSS/faq ... et_fix.php

I hope this helps you TBH.

Vulcan

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:15 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

It would work unless called via external IP. My guess
is there's a bug in AT&T's port forwarding or something
to that affect.

Otherwise, I think it works fine.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:35 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Singularity wrote:
It would work unless called via external IP. My guess
is there's a bug in AT&T's port forwarding or something
to that affect.

Otherwise, I think it works fine.

True, could also be a bad router as well, sometimes you get one, I got one from comcast. then went and bought one, and viola, forwarding worked withing the network, go figure. lmao.

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:51 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

I seem to be having all sorts of issues now. I cannot even telnet out on port 23 now. No games for me. I tried to get on the phone with AT&T to have them troubleshoot the modem but after being on hold for 40 min I had to go back to work. I think it is just time to reset the modem back to factory defaults and see if that does the trick. Maybe in all of my testing I jacked something up.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

The Bounty Hunter wrote:
I seem to be having all sorts of issues now. I cannot even telnet out on port 23 now. No games for me. I tried to get on the phone with AT&T to have them troubleshoot the modem but after being on hold for 40 min I had to go back to work. I think it is just time to reset the modem back to factory defaults and see if that does the trick. Maybe in all of my testing I jacked something up.

Keep us posted, also chect the Windows7 settings and make sure you do have the telnet server turned off, or at least go to the Administrative tools> services, and make sure you disable it there if the telnet server is on, if the telnet client is on, that is okay it is the server you want to kill.

Vulcan

Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:28 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Civilian

[quote="The Bounty Hunter"]Sing helped me out last night. Seems that my router blocks me when I try to go out and come back in. Sing was able to log in to port 23 and to port 2002 with no problems but I could not. Gotta love AT&T 2 Wire routers. Need to give them a call. So I will just have to use the localhost for now.[/quote]

This is a mis-conceived 'security feature' to prevent certain classes of internal threats, and causes all sorts of problems the moment that anyone tries to run a server and access it from inside the network. Specifically, it blocks "loopback NAT traversal", where a packet is sent from inside the network to the external network address (being processed by the NAT code once), then handled as an incoming packet and processed by the NAT code again. It caused performance issues in the days of 80386 and 80486 due to the need to run the packet translation code twice, causing network routing to become CPU-bound. It's by default blocked on most cablemodems and routers.

Using localhost instead of your external host name is the simpler option here, because it doesn't trip the router's double-processing prevention by not going out to the router at all. It will cause issues if you're trying to run multiple machines on your LAN and connect them to your TWGS service, because those machines will need to use a different IP (usually 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 10.x.x.x) to connect to it than your external users will.

The alternative is to enable loopback NAT on your cablemodem, which will permit every machine on the LAN to use the same external address as external machines. This comes, as I said, at the cost of needing to handle packets twice (and thus needing to make sure your cablemodem is well-ventilated, as it's running its CPU hotter and using more energy). TWGS already includes timing emulation to slow things down, so there shouldn't be a major issue up to about 32 simultaneous players (depending on your cablemodem).

Be sure to check your ISP's Terms Of Service to determine if you can run servers from your home connection. Some ISPs are quite draconian.

-wingedwolf

Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]