View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Moving All Games to another server 
Ambassador

Unread post Moving All Games to another server
John,

What do I need to do to move an entire set of games from one server to another with minimal fuss? I want to move everything, game names in the command menu, everything. I will be doing this on a v1.03 server and a v2.20b server.

Helix

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Moving All Games to another server
Helix, I have moved them a few times. On the new server, just create a game letter so the game know there are slots there (make sure and match the names or rename directories accordingly). Then shutdown the new server, move all directories over and restart TWGS. There is no need to archive them unless your just that gungho, moving the directories is much easier and faster.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

T0yman wrote:
Helix, I have moved them a few times. On the new server, just create a game letter so the game know there are slots there (make sure and match the names or rename directories accordingly). Then shutdown the new server, move all directories over and restart TWGS. There is no need to archive them unless your just that gungho, moving the directories is much easier and faster.

There is no file that holds the game names and letters? If I have to go to the trouble of making the game slots for 25 games thats a pain.

H

Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

All you have to do is activate each game letter and bang a simple 250 sector game, for each letter then move them over. Much faster than using the archive method.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:30 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Thats not adequate. I have done it that way. I need to find out a more comprehensive way to do it.. Creating 25 dummy games in order to get them back defeats the purpose.

I have to work on 106 TWAs thats 4 * 25 + 6 games to set up once. I dont want to have to repeat this if I need to make a mistake. Once I have the games set up I want to basically back up everything. And if I need to put them back I just want to copy it back.

H

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

You ask I answered, not liking something doesn't mean it won't work. Good Luck!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Sorry I didn't get to your question sooner.

The easiest way to do this is to export your TWGS registry folder. That's where all of the TWGS configuration settings reside, including game info.

It's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Epic Interactive Strategy/Trade Wars Game Server

or something similar (on Vista, there's a Wow6432Node folder after Software).

Save it to a registry file, then import it on the new machine. You can do it before or after installing the server, but you might want to install to find out exactly where the registry info goes.

To move the data, you can copy all of your files manually if you want. When you install a new version, there's an option to backup all of your games at once, and that's pretty fast, but otherwise you have to back them up one at a time, move the TWAs, then import them. Eventually I'd like to add a feature to export multiple games and import multiple games.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Thanks John I will give that a try

H

Edit: as far as I can tell it worked fine. I took the shotgun approach and exported the whole registry key and copied the GAME directory entirely to a seperate directory. Tested by deleting the games in the TWGS and the Game Folders and then double clicked the registry export and copied the game directory back and everything was there.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]