View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 What kind of tutorials do you want to see? 
Ambassador

Unread post What kind of tutorials do you want to see?
I am adding some sysop tutorials for using both v1 and v2. I am looking for suggestions about what you want to see....

Please post a tutorial suggestion or two in this thread and lets see what we can come up with.

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: What kind of tutorials do you want to see?
Not sure if you're serious, but I'd like to see a tutorial on how to setup windows standard edition 2008, to use twgs (v1).

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:33 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

I am serious but I was thinking more of importing/exporting TWA files or TWGS configuration. But installing TWGS v1 on MS Server 2008 is easy. I do want to say that Server 2008 is overkill, it will run just as well on Windows XP sp3 Professional or Ultimate.

The installation directory must be in the root of 'C:' Like Windows 7 it raises holy hell if you install it in \Program Files\ for a 32bit system or \Program Files (x86)\ for a 64bit system

I set it up in C:\TW2002\TWGS

Don't try to use the service, just start it and stop it like a program.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Note: All windows desktop operating systems after Windows XP have a 10 user connection limit, so you have to use server edition if you want a newer OS without the connection limit.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

I was certainly thinking about technical 'Server' details (ie the service mentioned), but I would rlly like to know about security issues, if any. etc.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

Micro wrote:
Note: All windows desktop operating systems after Windows XP have a 10 user connection limit, so you have to use server edition if you want a newer OS without the connection limit.

Those are actually login connections. Not TCP/IP connections. I just looked at my winxpsp3 running twgs and it only allows 10 connections but I have a bunch of established connections for tcp/ip (11 for the twgs by itself. The MS Telenet server alone can handle between 2 connections (the default) up to any number less than 10million (in Windows 7)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Helix wrote:
I am serious but I was thinking more of importing/exporting TWA files or TWGS configuration.

Could use something like this..

For example, Im not sure the best was to edit a .twa. I assume the only way is to load it in twgs and edit from there? Do I "big bang" before? When do I export the game for future bangs without having to reEdit the twa?

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Muss wrote:
Helix wrote:
I am serious but I was thinking more of importing/exporting TWA files or TWGS configuration.

Could use something like this..

For example, Im not sure the best was to edit a .twa. I assume the only way is to load it in twgs and edit from there? Do I "big bang" before? When do I export the game for future bangs without having to reEdit the twa?

Muss thats what I do. I load it into the twgs, then make all of the changes I need to make. Then I export it with a new name and just load the changed version from then on. The exceptions are players (I have to make a new observer after each bang) and the alien planets (I edit the ones in subzero once the game is active.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

So basically it's up to whoever imports it to get it right. It may not even be the same edit if things aren't done right. That's another bug in v2.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]