View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Random Planets? 
Civilian

Unread post Random Planets?
Is it possible to create random planets when create a new game?
If so how?

Thu May 07, 2015 1:45 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: Random Planets?
Not sure how exactly you want to create 'random' planets. but the answer is very likely a resounding 'No'. Though it would be a neat feature in a future release of TradeWars.

Anything modification beyond setting in T-Edit, requires manual ,or scripted editing of the game setting --post Bang.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

Or maybe he could do something like Alien Resurrection. Where each race has unique ships and planets.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Thu May 07, 2015 8:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Cruncher wrote:
Or maybe he could do something like Alien Resurrection. Where each race has unique ships and planets.

Most 'alien' game have unique Planets and Ship. I 'think' he wants to scatter planets throughout the Universe to be discovered, invaded, and developed as opposed to making planets the traditional way.

One could limit the number of allowable planets in a game at bang time (no idea what that number might be), and use a script to deploy and scatter planets.. and make all ships unable to carry atomic detonators (and Gen Torps).

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu May 07, 2015 9:03 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Civilian

Yes I just want to scatter some of the stock planets around.

A script would be fine if I could find one also I would need to know how to apply it.

I do have a crude idea also but I need to know if the Gold AI is smart enough to use Gen Torps. I am thinking of making an alien race that is only for making planets and letting run free for about a week then just delete the entire race hopefully leaving the created planets abandon.

Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 am
Chief Warrant Officer

I made a script that will twarp to sectors on a list in a text file and fill those sectors with a desired planet type. I wanted it to fill a bubble with planets before doing a planet buyout in a long game.

It's pretty buggy and raw right now, if you want though I could smooth it out and send you a copy.

-Val

Fri May 08, 2015 9:26 am
Commander

I have seen scripts that can make planets for port creation during a game.
This would be a player side script.
But what you are looking for is a server side script to create planets for you and set them up as well as relocate them randomly throughout the universe.

The only thing I have remotely like that is the Wondering Trophy Planet script.
Which would have to be cannibalized to make the script you would need.
That would take a lot of my free time to do.

The idea is kinda cool , I'll keep it in mind.
I have the Wondering Trophy Planet (script) game running on my server
as game L.

Are you a scripter ? For twx proxy (the language of choice for this).

I spend my free time on Team Speak 3 client on Zoom;s server.
Can be reached there when I am at home or at keys.

Vid Kid/CareTaker

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sat May 09, 2015 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Darkwolf Jr wrote:
Yes I just want to scatter some of the stock planets around.

A script would be fine if I could find one also I would need to know how to apply it.

I do have a crude idea also but I need to know if the Gold AI is smart enough to use Gen Torps. I am thinking of making an alien race that is only for making planets and letting run free for about a week then just delete the entire race hopefully leaving the created planets abandon.

AI don't create planets, but you can make Gold planets for each race, decide what level the planet will be at big bang. When you bang the game, the planets will be created in random areas of the universe. You can make the AI weak and passive so they don't try too hard when defending their planets.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sat May 09, 2015 12:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Civilian

Well I want to seed the game with at least 100 planets And I don't know if I can add that many Gold aliens but it is worth looking into.

CBYNot your script sounds like it might work for what I need. I f possible I would like to take a look at it.

As far as TWX Proxy goes I have never used it. I have scripted for other games but not TW. Even when playing the game I don't use helpers

Sat May 09, 2015 2:36 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Okay, I'll play with it some time this week.

Bear in mind this will require:

1) banging the game early and entering it as a player - but keeping game Closed so no one else enters until you're done tinkering
2) Tediting yourself a planet to launch from with lots of ore for the twarping and lots of cash to buy torps and detonators
3) laying fighters in all of the sectors you want planets banged to, the ones listed in the text file you use - a script like Ram's PathBlast script would do nicely if we're only talking hundreds of sectors
4) a few hours at minimum for the script to run if you're filling hundreds of sectors, more like 12 if you're doing a thousand or more
5) Either manually tediting the citadels on all the planets to whatever level you want (since you said you want players to have to invade), or running a script like promasscitbuilder to upgrade them all from inside the game
6) Deleting yourself in some fashion that leaves all the fighters and planets as abandoned (owned by Rogue Mercenaries) or, just letting everyone know the extra player in the game is the sysop and the objective is to take all his stuff

-Val

Sun May 10, 2015 5:20 pm
Commander

CBYNot wrote:
Okay, I'll play with it some time this week.

Bear in mind this will require:

1) banging the game early and entering it as a player - but keeping game Closed so no one else enters until you're done tinkering
2) Tediting yourself a planet to launch from with lots of ore for the twarping and lots of cash to buy torps and detonators
3) laying fighters in all of the sectors you want planets banged to, the ones listed in the text file you use - a script like Ram's PathBlast script would do nicely if we're only talking hundreds of sectors
4) a few hours at minimum for the script to run if you're filling hundreds of sectors, more like 12 if you're doing a thousand or more
5) Either manually tediting the citadels on all the planets to whatever level you want (since you said you want players to have to invade), or running a script like promasscitbuilder to upgrade them all from inside the game
6) Deleting yourself in some fashion that leaves all the fighters and planets as abandoned (owned by Rogue Mercenaries) or, just letting everyone know the extra player in the game is the sysop and the objective is to take all his stuff

Doing it that way will take way too long , and make finding planets too easy.
Eprobes will show the first person playing where the planets are because of the eprobes stopping.

An easyer way (aside from the scripting) is to use some SysOp type script that will generate the planets at random sectors leaving no fighters in game.
Or the need for an ingame player to be T-edited :
outfitted to pop planets everywhere.

A big project though.

Vid

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Mon May 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Darkwolf Jr wrote:
Well I want to seed the game with at least 100 planets And I don't know if I can add that many Gold aliens but it is worth looking into.

CBYNot your script sounds like it might work for what I need. I f possible I would like to take a look at it.

As far as TWX Proxy goes I have never used it. I have scripted for other games but not TW. Even when playing the game I don't use helpers

Would you still like a copy of this? I'm going to be playing with it in a minute.

As to Vid's point about finding the planets with eprobes, you should be able to use a script to strip your fighters out of the sectors after the planets are made.

-Val

Sun May 31, 2015 1:39 pm
Commander

I went one step more , I raised the eprobe price to nearly as high as it will go
and then using the v2 delays to put a 3 second delay per sector.

Now eprobing is so painful , the players would rather walk around then to eprobe.

I will bang a fresh game using :
PortFixer (changes dock to SBB and moves it to adj sec 1 and back to sec 10)
Wandering Trophy Planet (a moving planet to try and claim)
Rand Planet Generator (the game will only have 10 planets to find & claim)

You can play as solo or corp. But it will take a corp to get the Wandering planet.

I'll be banging and opening the game up today.

Vid

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Winners of Gridwars 2010

Vids World On Guam

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]