View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:36 am



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Game Server directory structure 
Author Message
Ensign

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 259
Unread post Game Server directory structure
I know that both Version 1 and Version 2 of TWGS allow you to place the server in a differently named directory. For example, you could put version 1 in eis\twgs1 and version 2 in the default location. I am wondering which would be the better way to do it on the same machine?

I am planning to get a 2nd set of reg codes so I can use both servers, and I want to put them on the same machine. Switch between what game I want to script/test in or whatever.

I know that for live games I would either have to use a Virtual Machine setup or 2 separate computers to be able to host both Version 1 and Version 2 games to the public, so if I ever decided to host public games that is what I would do.

But I figure for local scripting/testing, just put each version in a separate directory and only run one or the other at any one time. My guess is Version 1 is more rigid about where it looks for files and such, and Version 2 is more flexible about where you put everything.

So, I was thinking eis\twgs for Version 1 and then something like eis\twgs2 or something like that for the Version 2 server. I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether I am on the right track here. Thanks


Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:22 pm
Profile
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm
Posts: 1880
Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73170 US
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
You cannot currently run two versions of TradeWars on the same machine. Both versions use the same registry keys, even if they are installed in different directories. I have run TW in a Hyper-V virtual machine, but I have had mixed results. It worked fine on one machine, but had performance issues on another. I currently run two versions on separate machines.

_________________
Regards,
Micro

Website: http://www.microblaster.net
TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002
TeamSpeak3: ts.microblaster.net:9987

"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight.”


Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:26 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ensign

Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 259
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
Thanks Micro. This laptop doesn't have the horsepower to run a VM so I guess I will either have to get a 2nd box up, or find a cheap/free hosting service where I can run it.

I think I saw Cruncher mentioning she had free hosting for the game from somewhere. I'm wondering if I could get 2 different accounts with them, so I could run both versions. Guess I'll look for her post about it and ask.


Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:04 pm
Profile
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm
Posts: 1880
Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73170 US
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
I think it was someone else, but they got a virtual machine free for the first year from Amazon.

_________________
Regards,
Micro

Website: http://www.microblaster.net
TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002
TeamSpeak3: ts.microblaster.net:9987

"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight.”


Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 1047
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
SteveH_66 wrote:
I know that both Version 1 and Version 2 of TWGS allow you to place the server in a differently named directory. For example, you could put version 1 in eis\twgs1 and version 2 in the default location. I am wondering which would be the better way to do it on the same machine?

If you don't mind me asking are you looking to be a sysop or develop scripts?

Also what are your system specs? VMs are not as resource intensive as they used to be, especially true for the later reason of developing scripts where from the perspective of development you don't need to deal with remote connections.

My laptop is 4years old or so and I can run 3-4 vm's at a time on it without issue depending on os and what it is I'm actually looking to do. "Throw-away laptops" are well under 100$ and have more than enough computing power to run almost any server. Bandwidth is generally the larger issue when viewed from the lens of having reduced availability for yourself.

For Example: 70$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-2 ... SwT6pV6swW

**Disclaimer, basing this off server req vs. available link only. I make no warranty on the usefulness or ease of setup/condition of laptop in the above link.**

Laptop made in 2011, Win7 Professional will allow you to run it over RDC w/some settings you can run the laptop as a always on dedicated server for your TW2002 needs (sans inet) and manage it from your normal laptop without having to open, log-in and deal with TW settings manually.


Micro wrote:
You cannot currently run two versions of TradeWars on the same machine. Both versions use the same registry keys, even if they are installed in different directories. I have run TW in a Hyper-V virtual machine, but I have had mixed results. It worked fine on one machine, but had performance issues on another. I currently run two versions on separate machines.


Micro,

Does this apply to isolated/separate VMs run on the same host? Is there conflict assuming you run on separate listen/management ports.

I would think you could run two instances of say WinXp (for system resource reasons) or 7, isolate the VMs from each-other and remote manage the VMs via RDC or similar.

_________________
Dark Dominion TWGS
Telnet://twgs.darkworlds.org:23
ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."


Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:00 am
Posts: 1102
Location: Augusta, GA
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
Micro wrote:
You cannot currently run two versions of TradeWars on the same machine. Both versions use the same registry keys, even if they are installed in different directories. I have run TW in a Hyper-V virtual machine, but I have had mixed results. It worked fine on one machine, but had performance issues on another. I currently run two versions on separate machines.

What if your shortcut for launching one version was really a script, and imported the pertinent registry values, then launched TWGS... and your other shortcut for the other version did the same for it's pertinent registry values? If the values are only read at launch, then this hack might work.

_________________
Claim to Fame: only guy to ever crack the TW haggle algorithm, and fig/shield/hold price formula, twice.


Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:00 am
Posts: 3660
Location: USA
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
SteveH_66 wrote:
Thanks Micro. This laptop doesn't have the horsepower to run a VM so I guess I will either have to get a 2nd box up, or find a cheap/free hosting service where I can run it.

I think I saw Cruncher mentioning she had free hosting for the game from somewhere. I'm wondering if I could get 2 different accounts with them, so I could run both versions. Guess I'll look for her post about it and ask.


I don't have free hosting, just a free domain from http://www.noip.com
I have my own box, old server decommissioned from my office.

_________________
Image
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team


Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2002

flash client: http://Cruncherstw.no-ip.biz:2004/PlayTW.html
Web page from 1990's: http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW


Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:07 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm
Posts: 1880
Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73170 US
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
Kaus wrote:
Micro,

Does this apply to isolated/separate VMs run on the same host? Is there conflict assuming you run on separate listen/management ports.

I would think you could run two instances of say WinXp (for system resource reasons) or 7, isolate the VMs from each-other and remote manage the VMs via RDC or similar.
It should run fine on two VMs, or even one VM if one instance is running on the host. VMs are inherently isolated. Since each VM has a different IP address, you can even use the same ports on your internal network. You probably want to use different ports though if you only have one external IP address.

_________________
Regards,
Micro

Website: http://www.microblaster.net
TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002
TeamSpeak3: ts.microblaster.net:9987

"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight.”


Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:47 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm
Posts: 1880
Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73170 US
Unread post Re: Game Server directory structure
ElderProphet wrote:
What if your shortcut for launching one version was really a script, and imported the pertinent registry values, then launched TWGS... and your other shortcut for the other version did the same for it's pertinent registry values? If the values are only read at launch, then this hack might work.

It might work for launch, but you wouldn't be able to add or remove games in command center, and there might be other side effects.

_________________
Regards,
Micro

Website: http://www.microblaster.net
TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002
TeamSpeak3: ts.microblaster.net:9987

"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight.”


Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.