View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 FREE hosting for a game server if anyone is interested! 
Civilian

Unread post FREE hosting for a game server if anyone is interested!
Greetings.

My name is Matthew and I wanted to ask some questions of the TradeWars community.

I’m new to these forums and haven’t played a game of TradeWars in over a decade so please forgive me if I am not up on the etiquette or lingo of today. School / Work / Life got in the way of my gaming in early 2003. Prior to that however, I used to run TradeWars servers for friends and family and had a lot of fun doing so. Currently, I am a Network Administrator for a media distribution and content delivery provider in Seattle, WA.

A couple coworkers recently approached me, wanting a TradeWars server setup for them and it got me all nostalgic for the days of late-night gaming with my old college buddies. I was wondering if there is still a community out there hosting and playing games and/or tournaments?

The reason I ask: I have been retiring a bunch of HP servers at work and was toying with the idea of redeploying them for use as a virtual hosting environment for TWGS. The HPs are G5-series ProLiant with dual-CPU, Quad core 2.0GHz and 32GB of RAM. OVERKILL I know… but free is free. :) We also have a fiber Internet connection where these servers would live and a batch of Static IPs at our disposal.

Finally, I have maxed licensing of the TWGS and TW Gold from years ago, that I could make available to anyone who would be interested in assisting me with this project. I am hoping to find a few members of the TradeWars community who would be interested in managing games and tournaments?

I am happy to provide the server hardware, VMware hosting, virtual machines, and fiber Internet connection free of charge, provided we’re using these machines for TradeWars only. I have management approval for this pet project of mine only because the resource consumption will be so small. If we start doing other things that eat up a ton of bandwidth… we’ll get shut down by the bosses quickly. ;)

So that’s it! If I have successfully piqued your curiosity, please shoot me a message.

My email address is: mkrzyzan@hotmail.com
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Cheers!!
Matthew

Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:41 am
Civilian

Unread post Re: FREE hosting for a game server if anyone is interested!
Did you get this project up and running? I am currently running two games on a home server at www.jafhl2.com port 2002 both just started 4 days ago...

If you have any questions or would like help, please let me know as I am always interested in the war of trades!

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]