www.ClassicTW.com
http://classictw.com/

TWGS hosted on AWS?
http://classictw.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35167
Page 1 of 1

Author:  slowreflex [ Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am ]
Post subject:  TWGS hosted on AWS?

Was looking at putting up a server again. Had a thought about potentially doing it on AWS and can see that AWS does MS Server instances. Has anyone done this or is there any reason this would be a crazy thing to do? In a perfect world someone has done this and will give me a guide for how to do it. That would certainly save some time! :D

-slowreflex

Author:  Shadow [ Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: TWGS hosted on AWS?

I did for a while and took it down there because it's VERY expensive. AWS pricing is not optimized for always-on things like this, especially with sometimes high bandwidth and CPU usage.

Author:  slowreflex [ Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: TWGS hosted on AWS?

Shadow wrote:
I did for a while and took it down there because it's VERY expensive. AWS pricing is not optimized for always-on things like this, especially with sometimes high bandwidth and CPU usage.


It still sounds funny to hear TW2002 described as something that is high bandwidth, memory, and CPU usage. :)

That's very useful to know though, thanks. Is there a standard hosting company that most people use? Or do most still tend to run servers out of their bedrooms like the good ole' days?

Author:  Cruncher [ Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: TWGS hosted on AWS?

slowreflex wrote:
It still sounds funny to hear TW2002 described as something that is high bandwidth, memory, and CPU usage. :)

That's very useful to know though, thanks. Is there a standard hosting company that most people use? Or do most still tend to run servers out of their bedrooms like the good ole' days?



Mine is in my home office, but others without sufficient bandwidth or stable internet (i.e. live in the boonies) rent space on server farms.

Author:  amiskell [ Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: TWGS hosted on AWS?

slowreflex wrote:
Shadow wrote:
I did for a while and took it down there because it's VERY expensive. AWS pricing is not optimized for always-on things like this, especially with sometimes high bandwidth and CPU usage.


It still sounds funny to hear TW2002 described as something that is high bandwidth, memory, and CPU usage. :)

That's very useful to know though, thanks. Is there a standard hosting company that most people use? Or do most still tend to run servers out of their bedrooms like the good ole' days?


OVH is a decent place for cheap-ish hosted hardware. Their SoYouStart division sells decent dedicated hardware with Windows distributions for about $39 a month.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/