View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Problem with WG 3.2? 
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
I am having a major headache trying to figure out why I cannot get the TWGS to accept a RLogin call from withing my WG 3.2 system. (Or why my system won't connect)

I have it configured to a local address, using the WG Rlogin port. I am running Win 2K. I get an error saying "Failed to detect protocol. Expected RLogin. Service ended."

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong here? Or is it a bug issue between WG 3.2 and TWGS?

Thanks,

Sep

Tue Jul 31, 2001 1:20 am
Profile YIM
Lance Corporal

Unread post 
Do these questions ever get answered? I have a sysop friend who doesn't have much time but wants to install the TWGS and TW he bought so long ago finally and every thread I read doesn't get me anywhere.. this thread for example has the same problem he is having.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:06 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Captain

Unread post 
I have a question, what in the world is a WG 3.2 system?

From my exeperience after installing TWGS you have to reboot before the server is able to go online. Inside the config menu of the control panel you have to make sure you are allowing the appropriate connections to be made both local and remote, make sure that it is allowing users to connect (that the block users form connecting boxes are unchecked), make sure you have a game banged that is ready and available i.e. 'Game A: Ancient Times', is setup in the command center, (if you alter the games editor settings, remember to leave the game open to players.)

TWGS should automatically detect the admin and user connection ports; you can view this in the command center by changing the mode of view tabs on the top left side of the information screen, (i.e. these should normally be :23 or :2002 for user connections and :2003 for admin.) Also make sure that it shows TWGS is actually registered in the config menu of command center as well.

Im going off my memory here and I really do not know that much about connections and such, but I though I might be able to help you a little since I was able to setup my TWGS to run correctly.

Here are some sites to assist you with determining your IP.

http://www.myipaddress.com/

For checking Wi-Fi connections
http://www.jiwire.com/wifi-security-tes ... OVERTURESP

This one is pretty kewl to, it allows you to do a reverse trace of website addresses and IP's; it also tells you yours.
http://www.ipaddressreport.com/

Performs a Web Traceroute.
http://megawx.aws.com/support/faq/software/ip.asp

If your running on a Windows NT, links you to the MS IPConfig Utility
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/ipconfig.htm

This site displays your proxy address and your actual ISP address.
http://www.cualesmiip.com/?lg=en

Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:01 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lance Corporal

Unread post 
Okay.. I'll put some more info up on the problem. I've read all the faqs. The guy has it all set up and I've doublechecked his setup. WG is Worldgroup. TWGS is running with a universe banged, you can connect to it through the local options. When you try to send the board there through the rlogin connection though, you get that message (through 127.0.0.1) I tried telnetting to the board address on the port (513 for rlogin) and the board is trying to answer the call that way? Perhaps this is more of a worldgroup problem.. I don't know. I'm just curious if anyone else knows how to fix it?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:07 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Captain

Unread post 
If I understand correctly your trying to use 127.0.0.1 to access the server remotely, that address is only for local access though. Have you tried to use the entire address given by the TWGS status view for the users or remote access?

Ok I was searching sites and wound right back up were I first started, LOL... here is a link just follow this read through the entire thread following the steps in Rave's post, also read the ones below because some other issues that arose as a problem were addressed and reconciled. (After reading the posts it looks like you have to use the local connection (127.0.0.1) to loop back to your WG and setup a connection through WG itself. So I guess it does make sense afterall.) [:)]

http://www.eisonline.com/twforum/topic. ... ,Group,3.2

Regarding the HVSTWINI.EXE
HTTP://WWW.EISONLINE.COM/TWFORUM/TOPIC. ... ORLD,GROUP

The official WG Website has a contact page...
http://www.dialsoft.com/download.htm

The World Group user forums site...
http://www.forumshq.com/showthread.php?t=3824

Hope this gets you guys going, if not I would suggest checking out the WG HQ forums, they should know the intricacies of the program. Also you don't have a firewall blocking incoming connections right? (just asking, stuff like that is often overlooked.) Ok, with all this on the fly research I should be a freakin' WG pro by now! I wonder if they are they hiring? hehee

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:47 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lance Corporal

Unread post 
I read that post and the board is all set up that way.. the post by Rave is actually in the help file. Still getting the error.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Captain

Unread post 
Ok just doing some brainstorming here...

If you have it selected to allow only one IP/user at a time you are no logged on locally while trying to log on remotely are you?

(Or maybe you cannot log on remotely from the same computer that it is running from, have you tried logging on from another IP address/computer?)

Regarding the RLogin Module (assuming TWGS is also running from the same computer)...
Have you confirmed that you have the correct address of the Game Server set? (this should be the local loopback IP address, 127.0.0.1.) You must set this local loopback address as the TWGS IP address in the TWGS Configuration area, Server tab, or click the Local check box.

You are not using port 513 for both user and admin connections, right?
(It can only be used once.)

The "User RLogin name" setting may need to be changed from the default "Passed 2nd" setting. This setting determines which RLogin login string TWGS treats as the user login name. If TWGS isn't reading the correct login name, you should switch to "Passed 1st".

Under the IP Lists tab of the Configuration area, you should add the IP address of your BBS machine to the Game Connection and Admin Connection IP lists.

Have you set the TWGS page to "Module page" and selected your TCP/IP (RLogin) module; is this set to the correct RLogin Module? (i.e. WG3/Vircom)

Are you saving your changed settings?

Have you entered the proper TCP/IP commands in the TWGS page to actually make a connection to the TWGS?

Have you tried allowing TWGS to auto-detect the IP's before and after the WG actually started? (To see if the numbers are consistent.)

Now what happens when you attempt step 6:

Step 6: Test the connection

Start TWGS and enable the server

Connect to your BBS and go to the TWGS connection menu item. Select the item to start a TWGS session. You should be immediately presented with the TWGS intro menu. (Use the # key to see who is online. The name specified in this list should be your BBS name. You cannot alter this name from TWGS, and it is used for all TW game sessions. This guarantees that only one Trade Wars game account can exist in any game for each BBS user name.)

Also have you tried to connect remotely through the admin port?

If you are sure absolutely everything is correct, have you tried to uninstall everything and then start over from scratch after a nice warm-boot and following the docs step-by-step, (I mean print it up and checklist the entire thing word for word; cause if that does not work then maybe is a problem w/ the computer hardware causing conflicts w/ your programs? Maybe set it up on another available computer real quick for a test run?

Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:50 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lance Corporal

Unread post 
I might have him let me try to install it on my system and see if I can make it work. Everything was set up according to what you asked. I believe he followed the help for the setup. I'll have to take another look at everything and then see if there is a way that I can try to set it up and see if I can make it work.

Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:35 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Sergeant Major

Unread post 
ha, cant expect any good support here.. look at the "Technical Support Lead" person.. Harley Nuss.. hahahaha nuff said.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:12 am
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post Re: Problem with WG 3.2?
I know this post is really, really old, but I was googling for the same problem and figured out the solution. You have to change the Game Port type from rlogin to telnet under Server->Configure->Server. Hope this helps someone!

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]