View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 What's the _full_ deal with the new ship delay? 
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
ok, is there something special about 1/4s in TW processing?

My initial reaction to reading about the change in "None" ship delay from really none, to 1/4s is that I thought it would create some disastourous imbalances between ppl with fast/slow latency [In particular those with >250ms vs those with <250ms]

I've since done some testing, its doesn't look so disastourous, I'm just not really sure how it works now...

In particular consider a stardock photon blockade. Under the old versions, with a ship delay setting of None you could always get thru- macro- move, attack toll fig, move again. Under the setting of even Quarter you could never get through that way- it would be move, attack toll fig, get photoned, move. [The last move _would_ happen, but u would get photoned "inside" the move delay- i.e. you would get thru to stardock, but u would have 0 turns.]

With the new changes I assumed someone with a connection latency faster than 1/4s would be able to blockade stardock from anyone in this manner, however this does not seem to be the case. In particular, the messages to the player running the photon block script all appear at once; the player macroing to dock gets there just fine. This is despite the fact that I'm running the photon script on the local server.

So What's the deal here? Is there some delay built in to the programming so that deployed figs messages don't get sent to players for more than 1/4s or what? or is my test broken somehow?

Thanks for any light u guys can shed here...

I'm busy tryna work out which of my scripts are now useless, and indeed whether or not this change is disastourous for someone with a connection latency slower than 250ms...

Dr. Bad

Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]