View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 how do i get commission - upgrading ports 
Sergeant

Unread post 
i am a newbie to twgs and i've been playing on a server and i can't seem to find anyone to post a bounty on. it been three weeks and still no evil's are playing. so i now know i must upgrade ports to increase my alignment.
strageties, ideas, comments, anyone please.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:32 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post 
blitzcounter wrote:
i am a newbie to twgs and i've been playing on a server and i can't seem to find anyone to post a bounty on. it been three weeks and still no evil's are playing. so i now know i must upgrade ports to increase my alignment.
strageties, ideas, comments, anyone please.

Without a red to post on, the process is difficult.  Since there isn't a red in the game, that means you don't have a red corpie to lay personal figs either.  So upgrading ports is the next step.  The problem with this is, not only do you raise your alignment, but you raise your expereience as well. This of course won't allow you to be fed safe.  If I did have to upgrade ports to get a commish, I would at least upgrade a port that will benefit you later.  Such as upgrading a port in a sector where you are going to build.  I suppose if you ppt enough to get a commish by upgrading ports, you will probalby have well over 1k experience anway.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:41 pm
Commander

Unread post 
up ports all at once is good also making planets after your blue will do you some good.Killing Ferrengi and getting taxed will all send your alignment up. But as Big D said exp becomes an issue

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:41 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Unread post 
If the edits allow it, I would suggest giving the red side of a play a try. You never know, you might just like being evil

--==[The Outfit]==--

Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Sergeant

Unread post 
I see the exp. problem clearly now. I've also just spoken to graylensman in person. He explained the same things as well. He is the one who introduced me to the the TWS thing.
However, if i become evil, i'd currently be the only one in the game. So, i'd have everyone on my Butt. How do I avoid people then. I've currently got a cargotran. would i have to trade it in for a m-crusier or a highly weaponized craft? Then I'd really need help - strategy - anyone- PPLLEEAASSEEE???!!!!!

Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:29 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
tw-cabal.navhaz.com

Read some of the strategy posted there as well as the formulas. Try to find someone who has more game knowhow to play with.

That's the best way to learn. Hands down.

Man, I gotta quit showing up here...next thing you know i'll get dragged back in.

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
If you go red, you play when there's the least resistance and you get the most cash and you buy the most figs. But this may not be preferable depending on the edit. As a solo, being a red is tough. Stock edit solo play almost always favors blue, for instance.

Yes you can upgrade ports for your align. That's going to give you a lot of experience, yes. Popping evil aliens is usually easier, if there are some. You can tax up your alignment w/o suffering the experience gain, but that's expensive in the most nastiest of ways. You can also make a whole lot of planets w/o detting them. You get +10 align per planet, so 50 planets would do it. At 40k creds per that's 2m + turns for your alignment.

Do it near dock when nobody is online, be pretty easy. You'd not be fedsafe, tho. But that's pretty common in solo games.

Frankly in a game like that I'd bring someone on from my ICQ list and have them go red, if for no other purpose than to cby and go -10 so I can post. Yea that's a bit lame, but it's incredibly effective (why dink around? really?).

Edit:
Looking over the align for port creation you could pop a planet and start a BBB over it. That'd be +30 align per set.

You don't need for the port to advance, you just need to get it started. This costs no resources but does cost money, like 50k creds or whatever it's set to in your game (I think that can be changed... maybe not tho). This means to get 500 align so you can apply for a commish you need 17 port+planets.

At, say, 40k per gtorp and 50k per port that's be 90k per sector. That's 1,530,000 credits plus the turns to move back and forth. If you start those in a bubble you'd also be pretty well set for farming later on.

Doing the math on the port upgrade...
Upgrading EQ ends up being the most expensive, ore and org being the same. So upgrade either depending on your edit.

Say ore for example:
250 creds per .05 align gain. That's 5000 per point.
500 * 5000 = 2.5m

That will give you 1000 experience. So no, you won't be fedsafe.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:21 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Unread post 
ya, but with no other reds in the game, assuming its a low turn game, it may be advantageous to go red, as he obvioulsy can't warp directly to fed right now anyways.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:03 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Depends on the edit. There's no other answer to that. If the planets produce a lot of prod or figs then going red would be suicide since there's no good way to get blue again. If he's a slow play kindof guy then not having a base would also be suicide.

If it's a slow planet, low production game and he's an aggressive hunter then yes, being red would work nicely.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:08 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Unread post 
This is true. I'd also add though that if it is a high planet production game, and he's been in it for over 3 weeks and still doesn't have a commission, then that is probably the least of his worries.

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:24 am
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
you can lose half your xp at dock (don't recall if it cuts align in half also, i don't believe it does though)

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:40 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
The edit in question is a 20k sector, 7k turn (with a 3 day turn bank) no ship or planet edits, stock style game and he is coming in about 1 month after the start. And only one of the other players has been in since the start. I got my commission upping ports and since there were no other active players at the time, trying to stay fedsafe was not an issue

Cerne

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:40 am
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
hmm
i'd still go red, cash up, invade planets right before they go mobile. let the blues do the work for you

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:43 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Unread post 
I dont think you can even go near the underground if you have over 10 align slim bro.

It could be higher, this is just right off the top of my head.

and no, it does nothing until align until they kill you(which is the wrong pw after they take half your exp)

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:02 am
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
try 199 200 is cut off

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:10 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next