View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ceo Tips 
Commander

Unread post 
LOL.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:28 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Unread post 
I dont agree. Simple instructions to a newbie take care of your legitimate concerns.

1. Never go to base unless you (the newbie) scrub and twarp there from fed.
2. If you get fotted or whatever, too bad, live and learn.

Singularity wrote:
I've won games being down corpies. You're only as good as your weakest link... if you recruit someone that's good at bringing limpets home to base, it doesn't matter what your corp's turn count is... you're going to lose a lot of them anyway.

Recruit someone who's only skill is doing whatever the heck they feel like... and you'll burn turns trying to rescue him from a foton.

I'd rather have 3 really solid, smart, aggressive players than 3 really solid, smart, aggressive players and 1 really bad, limpet-dragging, turn-blower.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:18 pm
Gameop

Unread post 
and do newbies remember to scrub everytime? no
you don't remember to scrub everytime until you've brought a limp home before

--==[The Outfit]==--

Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Unread post 
> 90% of them do, surpisingly. As for those who dont, give them a bad blindwarp and apologise for your mistake.

Slim Shady wrote:
and do newbies remember to scrub everytime? no
you don't remember to scrub everytime until you've brought a limp home before

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:28 pm
Gameop

Unread post 
I'd like to look over your research where you got those numbers
But, to address your main issue.
You say giving a newbie "simple instructions" will work just fine.
I disagree because if you give a simple instruction to a newbie, 95% of the time (randoms statistics are fun!) they ask a question, usually "why" or sometimes "how".
You don't always have time to explain that to them, plus, there are some things (such as scrubbing) that you just expect people to know.

--==[The Outfit]==--

Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Unread post 
My 90% number is an estimate based on personal experience with newbies on corp. I can only remember 2 instances in 12 years where they brought home a bug, so 90% is probably low.

OTOH, several times in the last 12 months, I have seen veteran players do so. Not to my base but to their assets.

Slim Shady wrote:
I'd like to look over your research where you got those numbers
But, to address your main issue.
You say giving a newbie "simple instructions" will work just fine.
I disagree because if you give a simple instruction to a newbie, 95% of the time (randoms statistics are fun!) they ask a question, usually "why" or sometimes "how".
You don't always have time to explain that to them, plus, there are some things (such as scrubbing) that you just expect people to know.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:32 pm
Gameop

Unread post 
exactly, so if veterans can't follow simple instructions, how will a newb?

--==[The Outfit]==--

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:33 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Unread post 
New players usually follow suggestions until they learn the ropes.

Old time players who think they are TW gods rapidly end up without corpies, especially if they repeatedly and recklessly screw up.

Slim Shady wrote:
exactly, so if veterans can't follow simple instructions, how will a newb?

Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:33 pm
Gameop

Unread post 
my experience has been the opposite than yours i guess (take smokey for example)

--==[The Outfit]==--

Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I've had people that aren't newbs, some vets who've been playing for 10+ years, that still bring limpets home atleast once per game. There's even one player out there who's approach I know so well that I can usually tag him with a limpet w/o him even detecting it... and invade from there.

The problem isn't skill, it's willingness to listen. You get someone that isn't coachable and you're going to make it hard for the entire team to cope, and the result is a lot of erked corpies and aggrevation for everyone. This is more than just a newb problem, but it is also a newb problem as well. I've run into a lot of returning (and brand new) players that play a few easy games and become know-it-alls overnight. This is very common, sadly.

I would rather be down a player in turns and have a team that works well together than have a man running around, blowing corp resources, dragging limpets around, getting torped, screaming nasty language on SS and generally making the game unbareable. Both from a logistics and an enjoyment PoV.

I've been fortunate enough to detect those idiots before I corp w/ them, but I've seen some corps go down in flames because of it. HHT, earlier this year, had someone on the other corp do exactly this. It drove several of the players nuts and ended up costing them in their early-game startup by lowering morale.

Sometimes you also get the "I just wanna bot my turns away" syndome. That's far less damaging to the corp, of course, but those that actively work for the win end up feeling a bit taken advantage-of. In some games you need those turns, but in others... it's just funner to boot them.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:33 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Unread post 
I'll copy one of my earlier posts in the thread:

"My 90% number is an estimate based on personal experience with newbies on corp. I can only remember 2 instances in 12 years where they brought home a bug, so 90% is probably low.

OTOH, several times in the last 12 months, I have seen veteran players do so. Not to my base but to their assets."

Rewrite:

It is more common for "vets" to bring bugs to base than for newbies to do so.

Rewrite of an earlier post of mine in this thread:

If newbies do it, shrug. If "vets" do it, dont corp with them.

Singularity wrote:
I've had people that aren't newbs, some vets who've been playing for 10+ years, that still bring limpets home atleast once per game. There's even one player out there who's approach I know so well that I can usually tag him with a limpet w/o him even detecting it... and invade from there.

The problem isn't skill, it's willingness to listen. You get someone that isn't coachable and you're going to make it hard for the entire team to cope, and the result is a lot of erked corpies and aggrevation for everyone. This is more than just a newb problem, but it is also a newb problem as well. I've run into a lot of returning (and brand new) players that play a few easy games and become know-it-alls overnight. This is very common, sadly.

I would rather be down a player in turns and have a team that works well together than have a man running around, blowing corp resources, dragging limpets around, getting torped, screaming nasty language on SS and generally making the game unbareable. Both from a logistics and an enjoyment PoV.

I've been fortunate enough to detect those idiots before I corp w/ them, but I've seen some corps go down in flames because of it. HHT, earlier this year, had someone on the other corp do exactly this. It drove several of the players nuts and ended up costing them in their early-game startup by lowering morale.

Sometimes you also get the "I just wanna bot my turns away" syndome. That's far less damaging to the corp, of course, but those that actively work for the win end up feeling a bit taken advantage-of. In some games you need those turns, but in others... it's just funner to boot them.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:07 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post 
I don't shrug when newbies do it. I just kick them, hard. Sure sometimes stuff happens by accident, yea... ok. But if it's done because they won't listen so the 20 "hey, did you scrub?" msgs then that's a real problem.

I don't know if it's more common for vets or not. I've seen both do it.

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:31 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
As for listening for the "Did you scrub?" messages... if you had to ask isn't already too late?  For new people, setting up a procedure for scrubbing is a must.  ie.. always got to xxx sector before coming home or some variation of that. Making it a part of every day play is important.

Believe me, I know, I am new! lol (wow, double irony there)

Cerne

Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:54 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Well... is it too late? Maybe... but atleast then you know that someone might be coming.

You can do all of the structure (like I talked about in my earlier msg, laff) you want and some people will simply not follow it. "Always do X" translates into "everyone else can do X... I'm going to go do Y."

In a big draft that's why you have your players sleep @ dock.

The statement a while back was "if you're down turns, you need to pick up anyone you can to fill the void." Which is a big recipe for disaster. There's more to the game than just turn management.

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:18 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2