View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Winning Strategy for a solo game? 
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
Help! What is the best way to go about a solo game?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:04 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
Outcash 'em, out speed 'em.  Deny, and show no mercy.

Really, this is a question that demands more info.  what edit?  how many sectors? how many turns?  how many are we up against?  Who are they?
Never give up, learn from your mistakes.  Read and ask questions, do searches in all forums.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
5000 sector, 1000 turn, stock game, 5 planets per sector, one man corp. Guess I should have included more info, (I'll learn). 3 other players, 2 day old game. They are better than me (right now everyone is).

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:25 pm
Site Admin

Unread post 
Robotica wrote:
5000 sector, 1000 turn, stock game, 5 planets per sector, one man corp. Guess I should have included more info, (I'll learn). 3 other players, 2 day old game. They are better than me (right now everyone is).

just a little more info needed on that bro...is it mbbs?  if its not mbbs whats the steal/rob ration and are the planets stock or is it a certain edit like moo2  or pirates?
Those things aside,,,in a stock game i would essentially go red and try to get cash going..after its suffecisnt at some point i would turn blue .,
All of this is dependant on several different variables.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:34 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Stock edit... traditionally: Go blue, build small distributed bases everywhere (Ls mostly). Don't over-colonize, big waste of turns. When your Ls go mobile you ptrade for figs.

Untraditional: Go red, get lots of early cash, probe, kill, lock people out. Declare victory.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
Space Ghost wrote:
Robotica wrote:

just a little more info needed on that bro...is it mbbs?  if its not mbbs whats the steal/rob ration and are the planets stock or is it a certain edit like moo2  or pirates?
Those things aside,,,in a stock game i would essentially go red and try to get cash going..after its suffecisnt at some point i would turn blue .,
All of this is dependant on several different variables.

Bro?.. Hmm.. let me check, nope nothing hanging between my legs, hehe.
Had to check, yeah mbbs, yeah stock planets, (I did say a stock game, didn't I?). Thanks for your input.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:52 pm
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
Singularity wrote:
Stock edit... traditionally: Go blue, build small distributed bases everywhere (Ls mostly). Don't over-colonize, big waste of turns. When your Ls go mobile you ptrade for figs.

Been Blue, built bases (4) been colonizing my tail off (oops) 3H, 1O, 1L in each base tho . SBB in each base too. Sounds close to what I have been Doing, Thanks Singularity.
Edited to include the following: When you say don't over colonize, put enough on them to max out the cits?

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:56 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Usually in an aggressive game people grid a lot. Since you can't really defend your grid as a solo in a stock game (well you can, but w/o mobiles... it's tough and very expensive in turns) you can't really expect to keep all of them. The goal is to commit as few turns as possible to their construction, just enough to get them going to the next level.

Some people build a big base, and go for the wall strategy. I suppose if you can, great. Normally I'd just make 1 or 2 Ls, and stock them up... but only really fill them up once mobile. At that point you're much tougher to invade.

Of course that depends on the competition too. Some people just don't grid or aren't super aggressive, if that's your enemy... eh, just play to have fun. It's going to be pretty hard to cash in a game like this, however, which is where the temptation to colo comes in... since you can ptrade to the port in-sector. If you think your planet will survive till then... why not.

Naturally other players are in the same position, so... you'll want to spend some money and eprobe for them.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:22 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
Singularity wrote:
Usually in an aggressive game people grid a lot.
Of course that depends on the competition too. Some people just don't grid or aren't super aggressive, if that's your enemy... eh, just play to have fun. It's going to be pretty hard to cash in a game like this, however, which is where the temptation to colo comes in... since you can ptrade to the port in-sector. If you think your planet will survive till then... why not.

Stirctly a local game, Private game at the college I am attending, And I dont see any of them here asking questions. Of course I am playing to have fun, if not then why play at all. I have read and read again the tw-cabal stuff at your site, thats what I have been basing my play on.
And yes, I am probing when i get the chance.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 pm
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post 
I'm a proponent of the red strategy. If you can get to full sdt within a few days, you're going to be hard to beat. Cash, buy figs and invade and destroy (if you're playing to win). If for fun, I like to play it both ways. Maybe built an L close to Terra and cash. On colonising, only put enough cols on the planet to upgrade to the next level. It only takes one invasion to lose 3 days worth of turns you used to fill up a planet with colonists.

Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:15 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Robotica wrote:
5000 sector, 1000 turn, stock game, 5 planets per sector, one man corp. Guess I should have included more info, (I'll learn). 3 other players, 2 day old game. They are better than me (right now everyone
Transports only have like 250 figs..so if u get found u get dead.is).

With a 1k turn, 5k sector stock game, it's prolly better not to even worry about planets. Except for one to start, so u can deploy more then 50k figs per sector.

Playing as red in a that game, I would SST in 2 transports. I wouldn't even worry about building. If red, play when u r the only one online, or until u have enough figs of combat. In a stock game, the best red combat ship is the Interdictor.

With 1k turns, I can cash in 2 SST transports 5-15 mil.

Use that cash for probes to explore...figs..mines..ect..and run a good ZTM if u are using TWX.

IMO, most of the public scripts work better with a good ZTM first.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:30 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Sergeant Major

Unread post 
You can start red with a couple of T-O's in a stock game - but get a flagship before you move to colts - cause they suck turns - nothing in this game worse than sitting with your red hiney exposed one sector from sd in a colt with 50 figs and no turns left to even xport...

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:38 pm
Profile ICQ
Staff Sergeant

Unread post Re: Winning Strategy for a solo game?
If I were to particapate in a solo unlim. game. I would wait till ea. person has just enuff money before they upgrade, then attack and take all there money. This would delay there progress and give me the alignment i would need. Then kill off any other non legimate threats in the game. Kash as best i could. Then determine what would be the best srtaegy, considering witch player or players were still in the game. And then destory evrything they have and take what i think is beneficial towards any end game solution. But then again... Heh..

~402 Playpal~ ~AFK~

~ Which Alias Do You Want Me To Use..." Baki, No. " ~

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Lord Baki wrote:
If I were to particapate in a solo unlim. game. I would wait till ea. person has just enuff money before they upgrade, then attack and take all there money. This would delay there progress and give me the alignment i would need. Then kill off any other non legimate threats in the game. Kash as best i could. Then determine what would be the best srtaegy, considering witch player or players were still in the game. And then destory evrything they have and take what i think is beneficial towards any end game solution. But then again... Heh..

In most unlim games, solo or not, speed of execution is critical. I look at solo unlims, and all games for that matter except for truces, as deathmatches. If I #SD# the other player(s), I don't have to worry about them - day 1 or hour 1, it doesn't matter.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unlims this is true, but w/ turn games it might not be. If I've got 100 turns left, 100 figs and a ship full of corbo an hour before extern... you might see me running around crazy like hoping someone w/ a bigger ship will take a swing. ;)

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next