View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 MegaRob better than SDT?? 
Ensign

Unread post MegaRob better than SDT??
Many thanx for all your answers and thoughts on the SDT thread...
I'm no way an expert now but it has helped me loads!!
I have the confidence and knowledge to join a corp and Team SDT (Probably even manually, tho i'd rather not try just yet hehe)

Next step up the learning curve.....

Megarob

I understand the basic idea... i think...
XSS Port & mobile planet...
Blue's buy Equip (and org if needed) at worst price
(Target is to get over 3.5m on port)
Red robs all the cash back
Move planet to XXB port and negotiate the equip.

Where do you go from there??

Is this really better than Team SDT??
It seems to me that it maybe more profitable if you have enough maxxed XXB ports (Not sure)
Only use after SDT'ing and ports are maxxed??
Oz's planet trading script has a megarob option (that i've never used) that doesnt make sense tho... i'm selling the equip and org that the planets created... i.e. no cash to rob ('cept what fuel i buy)

Loads more lame questions coming soon laff
Thanx for everything guys!!

I'm a TW and #SD# ing you was my idea!

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.~ J.T.Kirk

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:24 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Unread post Re: MegaRob better than SDT??
Megarob is more turn efficient than SDT because there is no transport after every port, you can use blue turns, and there is no trade every ~12th cycle. You also aren't using blue turns for refurbing. The expenses associated with MegaRob is the ore it takes to PWarp, port upgrading, and then port loss and port defense.

The limiting factor though is the practical number of ports that you can upgrade and defend. There is a diminishing return on adding more and more ports to your MegaRob list, both xxB and xxS ports. At some point, those additional resources are better spent locating and defeating your opponents, rather than upgrading and defending yet another buyer or seller.

It's common practice to use MegaRob and SDT while that MegaRob port list is growing.

And for my unsolicited opinion, I think MBBS and MegaRob are overrated, a boring and tedious way to play. I think SysOps should make PTrade 80 to 90% so that SST is similarly profitable to SDT, and lose MBBS altogether. SST allows you to lessen your focus on port defense since you have a nominal investment on the port and no planets identifying your cashing area. There's also a bit more strategy to ship trading (different at least) vs. planet trading, and a few other deterents to MBBS game play, but I've ranted enough.

+EP+

Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

In a turns game, provided you've found good ports, megarob will be more turn efficient than teamSDT in an MBBS game (no megarob w/o MBBS) where the port regen or grid stability is high enough to permit it. For instance a 100% or 50% port regen would be fine, but a 20% port regen would require a lot of grid stability... otherwise you will lose your ports too often to make it effective.

Oz's ptrade original does not have a megarob option. If your's does, it's a mod. Be aware of that and be aware of how it does the megarob. If it's using the wrong players to mega, it could dramatically reduce your effectiveness. My guess is that'd be used only with buying EQ from XXS ports.

Keep in mind that there are other factors to consider too. A high turns game (20k+) makes megarobs hard. Why? Because in order to remain competitive you need to use a competitive % of your turns as reds. Running a high number of turns via megarob is very time inefficient, the time required to build ports, the time required wait for their regen, the time and energy required to buydown and mega and nego off all of those ports... it's rather exhausting and is prone to human error. For this reason a teamSDT can be more efficient in a high turns game since the faster cash flow lets you put pressure on your enemy much earlier than they can reciprocate while minimizing your port exposure risk.

At 1k turns w/ 4 corpies... go with 15 to 20 ports. Any more is a waste, altho as you grid you'll certainly find more. If you're using less than 10 you're cashing will suffer tho, so it's going to be about finding a good balance that fits your team.

As for whether it's boring or not, it depends on your style of play. MBBS is a gridder-combat style of play, it's not for people that enjoy cashing. If you enjoy the mechanics of ports, go with a gold game... and perhaps bring down the ptrade to below 70% to force SST. But some people dislike cashing and building games... myself being one of them.

I can't stand games where planets take longer than a week or 2 to go mobile. I'll build and cash as needed, but I prefer megas since it makes grid more important and grid wars force combat, which in turn forces clever tactics, split-second script development and constant game monitoring. But that's just me, I prefer out-thinking other players as opposed to out-thinking game mechanics. So at some point it all goes to personal preference.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:53 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

SST and Team SDT are fine in there place. Megarobbing in a 1k game allows the easy use of a bot for cashing which ensures that everyones turns get used. Also turn wise its brings in much more cash per turn. ....See Cabal web site.....

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Also keep in mind that mega rob only works in actual MBBS banged games. If you hit the V screen and it says that the game is "gold" and not "MBBS", you won't be able to use mega rob.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:48 am
Ensign

I was intending to try MegaRob using dupe corpies (its allowed in the game)
But Uncle Sam and his cronies kicked my Butt. Laff...
I did get in a day or 2 late and they're good players so not too disappointed.

Also pack 2 SST keeps warping me to the "other" ship instead of xport.
1st time i thought i'd entered wrong sect number....
I only added auto furb+kill (stupid scripts lol)

Sorry for the rant lol
I'll try the MR soon.
Thanx for ya replies

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Cherrokee SST and Jet is what u want....

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ensign

Parrothead wrote:
Cherrokee SST and Jet is what u want....

Cheers.
Will try that v soon.

Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

NjoY wrote:
I was intending to try MegaRob using dupe corpies (its allowed in the game)
But Uncle Sam and his cronies kicked my Butt. Laff...
I did get in a day or 2 late and they're good players so not too disappointed.

Also pack 2 SST keeps warping me to the "other" ship instead of xport.
1st time i thought i'd entered wrong sect number....
I only added auto furb+kill (stupid scripts lol)

Sorry for the rant lol
I'll try the MR soon.
Thanx for ya replies

The only way to truly learn the game is by losing and getting killed. Don't think of it as a failure, but more as a lesson. I wish more players had your attitude, because if they did, we would probably have a lot more participation in the game today. Even the veteran players seem to shy away from games they might lose. The school of hard knocks is the best Tradewars school there is. I've never known a really good player that hasn't been killed at least half as much as they have killed.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:16 am
Boo! inc.

Big D wrote:
The only way to truly learn the game is by losing and getting killed. Don't think of it as a failure, but more as a lesson. I wish more players had your attitude, because if they did, we would probably have a lot more participation in the game today. Even the veteran players seem to shy away from games they might lose. The school of hard knocks is the best Tradewars school there is. I've never known a really good player that hasn't been killed at least half as much as they have killed.

I will have to agree! PH and his crew definitly owned the last game I was in and I was actually proud to get SD'd the way I did. In this one game I learned a few things from attack tactics to defensive/gridding/base location. Yeah in the end we lost but I pulled alot more out then just the rearview mirror to my pod!

Boo! inc.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]