View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Having a problem hiding in a game. 
Lance Corporal

Unread post Having a problem hiding in a game.
I have been playing Tradewars for about 17 years. I am currently playing in a no script game.

I have had 3 planets shot out from under me and am currently doing the hide and cloak thing until I am ready to try again. I use randomly picked dead end sectors, and I make sure that I did not pick up limpets before I cloak. The way I do that is do a run from sector 1, to the chosen sector, then back, and check for limpets. If I pick them up, I try a different sector till I find one where I don't pick up limpets.

No matter where I hide, I enter the game to fighters and mines, all from one player. I have never seen anything like this in a game.

How is he finding me?

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:32 pm
Captain

Unread post Re: Having a problem hiding in a game.
Paths to and from are most always different, therefore, you would have to run two trips to check for limpits, one to and one from, which is why it is much better to Twarp and check. As well up to 250 limpets can be kept in each sector, so just because you remove it does not mean there are not any more whatever sector you picked it up from.

If the player has figs and limpets everywhere it would be easy for them to track you by tracking the reports from their fighters which you took out or by the activated mines.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:05 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lance Corporal

I have been running two round trips and keeping a record on the first round trip of where I went to make sure its taking the same route on the second trip, which is why I am so mystified.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:17 pm
Veteran Op

Quote:
No matter where I hide, I enter the game to fighters and mines, all from one player. I have never seen anything like this in a game.

Has nothing to do with limpets, has to do with gridding. You're in a game where the opposition is gridding out dead ends. That might be a no script approach, but probably isn't... it'd be hard to grid out all DEs without a script (is possible tho).

He isn't finding you, obviously, or he'd photon-break your cloak and kill you. He's just gridding out the universe. Of course there are numerous ways to actually find you, especially with a grid up, but if you're able to log back into mines and figs... he obviously doesn't know how to density scan before each sector.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

or photons are disabled...

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 pm
Lance Corporal

Singularity wrote:
Quote:

Has nothing to do with limpets, has to do with gridding. You're in a game where the opposition is gridding out dead ends. That might be a no script approach, but probably isn't... it'd be hard to grid out all DEs without a script (is possible tho).

He isn't finding you, obviously, or he'd photon-break your cloak and kill you. He's just gridding out the universe. Of course there are numerous ways to actually find you, especially with a grid up, but if you're able to log back into mines and figs... he obviously doesn't know how to density scan before each sector.

I'd forgotten that even cloaked ships will show up on a density scanner. Guess I am going to have to work harder on a strategy. Something to think about thank you.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:57 pm
Captain

I think that is negligent to say it tracking another player has nothing to do with limpets. What, just because he was not Photoned and not attacked in his Sector? Limpets are an important factor in tracking players, either from the initial activation prior to the scrub or from the active tracking. Limpet trips are as important as fighter reports, they are just more rare in occurrence.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:37 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Quote:
I think that is negligent to say it tracking another player has nothing to do with limpets. What, just because he was not Photoned and not attacked in his Sector? Limpets are an important factor in tracking players, either from the initial activation prior to the scrub or from the active tracking. Limpet trips are as important as fighter reports, they are just more rare in occurrence.

Rexxie if you played the game more you'd understand. This particular problem has nothing to do with being tracked, it has to do with the other player using a standard grid strategy to lock down the deads and hunt for bases. Because he's hiding in a DE the other player is simply gridding over him but missing the density scan.

How do I know he's not being tracked? Well for one, the OP knows about limpets and is being careful... and two, because if the guy really knew where the OP was hiding he'd have him dead by now. If photons are on it's easy, if they're not, just drop a crapload of figs on to and adj of the player and it's an easy kill.

Why did he miss the density scan? Because a lot of public grid scripts (ram's for instance) don't do much to track anomalies, so unless you force a density scan and have a script to go back thru the DB and pull up anoms in unlimped sectors... you'll probably miss them. It's an old problem, and one that I've (and many others I'm sure) have had to deal with. If you're dropping limps on the grid it gets even harder, since it's possible to limp over someone and miss them that way... at least until they log back in.

Quote:
or photons are disabled...

Does it really matter rev? Navhaz, mines, limpets, figs, planets w/ cannons, there's a lot of things you can do... even in a no-script game... to blast someone once you've found them. And a guy aggressive enough to grid out the DEs looking for bases is going to be aggressive enough to kill stragglers.

Quote:
I'd forgotten that even cloaked ships will show up on a density scanner. Guess I am going to have to work harder on a strategy. Something to think about thank you.

You could drop a limpet to make it a little trickier, but that's not going to do much. Some people just hide in the middle of no where and cloak out, since it's a little harder to pinpoint anoms that way. You could look for enemy sectors that already have a fig (but no limpet), photon under and cloak out. That would put you under a fig and in a turns game who can afford to rescan every sector? Of course that means coming back on to figs, but if he's not online or running a torper it'd be easy to get around that... just come online and twarp right to terra or something, make it a macro.

None of that will defeat the strategy tho, if he's gridding out DEs he'll find any base you have there... and probably find them in other parts of the universe too, altho it'd take a little longer. In that case, since you log out, you won't be in a position to defend the base offline. All in all that's why gridding trumps slow bases and solo play. You can't win w/ a "duck and hide" strategy against that kind of play since eventually you won't have anything to come online to.

If you are determined to hide you can do it tho. Just find a tunnel (2 warper) somewhere and drop your figs down to 99, then go to terra and cloak out. You can cloak in 2 thru 9 too, just make sure your shields are full and you've got no photons (since they can haz up fed). You might come online to having your figs killed, but there isn't anything you can do about that long term with a "duck and hide" approach. At least it'll keep you alive for a while.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:51 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

I didnt think there was such a thing as a no script game.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]