View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Grid Defense 
Gameop

Unread post Grid Defense
I'm in a game where I'm getting frustrated by my lack of ability to defend my grid well enough. Admitedly my reasources are public (Mom, etc) and have been more than ok in the past. Looks to be some sort of 2 ship gridder OR a planet gridder. Eitherway I am unable to defend my grid well enough with the reasources I have.

Any ideas how to overcome a better ping/script? Better yet how to combat a 2 ship gridder/Pgridder?

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:47 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Grid Defense
Depends on which one they're doing... there are ways to overcome both. Is there an empty ship sitting in the sector w/ them? Is there a planet? Is there both?

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:53 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Singularity wrote:
Depends on which one they're doing... there are ways to overcome both. Is there an empty ship sitting in the sector w/ them? Is there a planet? Is there both?

Normally a empty ship, I believe there using CK-twoship grid, though i would like to learn for both situations how to over come either a pgridders or two ship photon.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Quote:
Normally a empty ship, I believe there using CK-twoship grid, though i would like to learn for both situations how to over come either a pgridders or two ship photon.

CK 2 ship is a PoS, you should be able to go adj and just dtorp and catch them. For pgridding it's trickier, for 2 ship pgridding... well that's even trickier still. You'll usually need to write a few scripts for it all to come together, get used to timing stuff and the like.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:52 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

I *think* that a well-written 2-ship gridder is the hardest thing to nail... and I mean that from the script writer's perspective too. I wrote most of one once, and figured out a few ways to make it seemingly bullet-proof, though grossly inefficient with turns. Still, turns wasted on the grid beat turns lost to ptorps.

What public (or private) 2-ship gridders are there? And are they well done.

+EP+

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:13 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Quote:
I *think* that a well-written 2-ship gridder is the hardest thing to nail... and I mean that from the script writer's perspective too. I wrote most of one once, and figured out a few ways to make it seemingly bullet-proof, though grossly inefficient with turns. Still, turns wasted on the grid beat turns lost to ptorps.

Can be, but I've managed to solve most of that problem. Xport actually has a small delay because of the way windows handles the process. On top of that you can't prevent someone from capping your ship, which gets expensive.

Quote:
What public (or private) 2-ship gridders are there? And are they well done.

None. The few public ones out there are pointless. The only thing close is ram's 2 ship planet grid.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:02 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Kaus wrote:
I'm in a game where I'm getting frustrated by my lack of ability to defend my grid well enough. Admitedly my reasources are public (Mom, etc) and have been more than ok in the past. Looks to be some sort of 2 ship gridder OR a planet gridder. Eitherway I am unable to defend my grid well enough with the reasources I have.

Any ideas how to overcome a better ping/script? Better yet how to combat a 2 ship gridder/Pgridder?

for 2ship gridding.. make a script to pwarp adj, launch a dtorp right away.. my ping is crap on many servers, as a result I have rewritten a private script that does this, and it does work well.

to overcome bad ping in general you should take into consideration a few things:

+ size of your grid --if grid is small, can work to your benefit with respect to prediction or a few other 'tactics'
+ tracking --a pain, but you can develope script/ability to track figs hits to determine a pettern and work from there
+ limps --something there I can't go into cause I'm not authorized --top secret.. but maybe someone more elite than me can fill you in. heh
+ remove safeties --make a bare bones, super simple foton script that has non of the usual safeties (ie: alien filter, anti spoof, textTrigger, etc)

Probably more but I can't think of any atm. Ideally getting someone to pod twice will put them on the sideline for the rest of the day.. getting a kill would mean open season on their grid. guess what I'm saying is it's sometimes better to frustrate a gridder than to stop them outright.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:14 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]