View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Some Newbie Questions 
Private 1st Class

Unread post Some Newbie Questions
I played TW back in the 90s in the BBS days and loved it. Have returned and played a couple of games and am enjoying it, but have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated. I have installed TWX and mombot and am starting to become familiar with them. Fun!

1. In an unlimited turn game, how many planets should you be creating? I take it the idea is to build tons of fuel, and use that fuel to get tons of colonists. But then what? Is my goal to create 100 planets producing equipment for trading, or just 5 or so and fill them with fighters?

2. Is there a script out there to trade goods from my planet to ports nearby? If so, where can I get this script? I had a recent problem of having 25000 equipment on one of my planets, and no script to turn that equipment into credits.

3. In my last game, I built the best ship, max fighters, max shields before truce. Awesome! All set right? Five minutes after truce wears off, another player enters my sector and instantaneously kills me and my 250,000 fighters via some script. It literally happened in less than 1 second. I had no possible reaction to it. I didn't have time to read the first line of text before I was dead.

How do you defend yourself against this? Are there defensive scripts / triggers that can automatically execute if someone attacks you? It seems to me that in this scenario you are dead.

Am I correct to assume that in these high-turn games, the entire game hinges on who launches an attack script first?

4. How do you FIND aliens? I know that in some edits that some of the aliens have better ships than can be bought. How do you FIND these aliens to kill, and how do you know how to attack them so that you salvage and not destroy the ship?

5. What is the most efficient method for producing fighters once you have a great ship and some planets? Is world-trading still efficient? Is building equipment on planets and then somehow selling it to ports most efficient? Something else?

Thanks for any responses...

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:35 pm
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Some Newbie Questions
Snarf wrote:
I played TW back in the 90s in the BBS days and loved it. Have returned and played a couple of games and am enjoying it, but have a few questions. Any help would be much appreciated. I have installed TWX and mombot and am starting to become familiar with them. Fun!

1. In an unlimited turn game, how many planets should you be creating? I take it the idea is to build tons of fuel, and use that fuel to get tons of colonists. But then what? Is my goal to create 100 planets producing equipment for trading, or just 5 or so and fill them with fighters?

2. Is there a script out there to trade goods from my planet to ports nearby? If so, where can I get this script? I had a recent problem of having 25000 equipment on one of my planets, and no script to turn that equipment into credits.

botname help merch will sell product for you, not the best out there but it is built in mombot. SupG works a little better since it will do O&E at the same time saving turns.

3. In my last game, I built the best ship, max fighters, max shields before truce. Awesome! All set right? Five minutes after truce wears off, another player enters my sector and instantaneously kills me and my 250,000 fighters via some script. It literally happened in less than 1 second. I had no possible reaction to it. I didn't have time to read the first line of text before I was dead.

How do you defend yourself against this? Are there defensive scripts / triggers that can automatically execute if someone attacks you? It seems to me that in this scenario you are dead.

Am I correct to assume that in these high-turn games, the entire game hinges on who launches an attack script first?

there are few out one used to be called rintaliation, I ma sure there are more but you have to be careful some games a friend might power up and ping you with 1 fig, and the script kicks in and all hell breaks loose.... ;) no more friend... heh

4. How do you FIND aliens? I know that in some edits that some of the aliens have better ships than can be bought. How do you FIND these aliens to kill, and how do you know how to attack them so that you salvage and not destroy the ship?

Aliens typically troll the MSL goto dock or terra and fire probes into the lanes or do same from around AC or Rylos.

5. What is the most efficient method for producing fighters once you have a great ship and some planets? Is world-trading still efficient? Is building equipment on planets and then somehow selling it to ports most efficient? Something else?

P-Trading or Buydown/P-Trade is the easiest turn efficient way of getting cash to buy figs, unless you have a planet that is 1:1 on E and ports that 200% regen and planets that hold large numbers in production groups then Straight P-Trade.

Thanks for any responses...

I can only answer the ones I am familiar with, as I stay away from Unlims so anything to do with those someone else could chime in on. Good luck and you might want to find a lower paced game to get started with ;)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:04 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

Quote:

Going to depend on if there's a truce or not. If there's no truce... 1, maybe 2. If there's aliens, build 1 for a bank and just go for the alien planets instead. Cash is more important than planets in a non-truce game.

If there's a truce, heh... find the biggest bubbles, check them all for backdoor entries, find a good big bubble and fill it up. That way you never actually have to play or do anything, you can just sit and watch your planets grow. Wheee... I wrote-up a little "howto" for those kindof games in a previous thread.

Quote:

It's called a "planet trader" and yes there are numerous versions out there. Look around, you'll find one.

Quote:

Yep, altho I doubt it was a script. Odds are it was just a macro. If the ship you were in couldn't withstand a single player... well, there ya go. Even if it could, watch out for double ship attacks (xport, attack, xport, attack, etc).

Quote:

Cannons. Good cannons. Oh and planet shields. Oh, and don't sit in the sector unless you need to be there. If you were on the planet, had planet shields and cannons set, you'd have been able to kill him instead. And yes, there are scripts to help you... but they all have weaknesses too. Look into "citkilla" scripts, altho realize that anytime you're using an automated attacker you're putting yourself on the line, too.

Even if you couldn't get planet shields, if it's an unlim... just load the planets full of figs. Atleast then they can't warp in, take the planet, evict and kill you all in one blow.

Quote:

If you don't have the resources to support the attack, it won't matter what you do. It's a factor of who has the most figs and how well they use them, and how well you do (or don't) use yours.

Quote:

Grid. Put figs at, and around, the class 0s (a common spot for aliens to visit). Grid around and find alien space. If an alien hits your fig, go check that area out. I wrote a script, it's out there somewhere, "alien hunter" that spits out alien spaces you've found to a window.

As for capping their ships, depends on the edit. Most edits like that have a guardian bonus, so you go in, pop a planet, attack one big wave to take out the alien's shields, then ping them down. Every time you hit them w/ 1 fig, they'll attack back w/ a full wave. Since gbonus gives you such a cheap advantage you just keep pinging till they're out of figs... then 1 fig caps. Make a macro for it, makes it easier.

Quote:

World trading is never efficient. World SST is efficient in a non-closed unlim universe, but that's about it. In a turns game ptrading (followed by megas) is the most efficient, in an unlim you need to cash based on the phase of the game.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:17 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Snarf.. mistakes yuo made in most recent SZ game you played:

Fisrt you didnt' get RED. Did pretty good as a blue. but here's what you do *right* after Bang:

Land on terra, grab full hold of COLONISTS, jet them into space (not fed space)
Mow To Dock
set Corp/SS/etc
Sell start Ship for the COLONIAL TRADER
put 1k figs, full holds, scanner on the TRADER
bust up to 5k EXP (use Traitors script on grimy's)
fire up SSM script ASAP
get about 2mil and buy another COLONIAL TRADER, start World SST
CASH, CASH, CASH.. get as red as you can
usually a good idea to sell the colts for UNDERGROUND TRADERs --for safety

somehwere along the line claim a DE adjacnet Fed Space
in the UTW edit the STIRKER planets go mobile right away
get cols MAX: 300k ORE, 600k ORG, 300k EQU

cash, cash, cash
search your TWX for alien space
cap a couple ascian boats as soon as you can, use them to cash with
invading alien planets on UTW will require about 400mil each planet
each alien planet will have FULL SHIELDS and about 3mil FIGS (use a Boat to invade with)

that's about it for the start. much of this depends on the Truce Factor. but generally you can get a great start even if truce is one day/24hrs.

hope to see you in the next SZ. maybe we can corp up

l8r

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:39 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Snarf

Welcome back to TW after your hiatus, all very good questions. As a fellow noob I'd like to recommend coming to a server with allot of active players (saying you havnt allready). And corping up with some other players, those that have the patience will teach you what you need to learn about all the nuances of scripts that werent present last time you played. I'm on Ultimatetw.com if you feel so inclined under various alias's. Just send me a tell in these forums and I'll be glad to help you with any questions getting back into the game or corp with you.

If your goal is to play solo I recommend playing on a smaller server in a game with fewer players. Truce games are great for building/cashing/relearning the game/etc.. however they set false expectations on what happens after the truce. It's a much different game than in the 90's, one valuable reasource is http://www.grimytrader.com/. Eitherway GL and happy hunting :-)

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:44 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]