View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Questions about Colonists!!! 
Warrant Officer

Unread post Questions about Colonists!!!
I have a bunch of questions about how colonists regen/die etc. All my questions are in relation to "stock" games where planets have not been highly edited.

1) Do different planet types have better rates of colonist regen/growth? Ie... would 1,000 colonists on an M or L planet naturally grow faster in population than on an H or K planet? If so, what are the differences.

2) Referring to the above, also, is the opposite true in terms of death rate? Do colonist populations "shrink" faster on certain planet types? Reading the stock planet descriptions, is it really possible for an entire planets (or most of a planets) population to get randomly wiped out? If so, what are the chances, and anyway to prevent or reduce this chance?

3) Does having an extra on-hand supply of organics & equipment help H type planets (or any other planet type) increase their colonist populations faster, or at least prevent them from dying off? This is some rumor I had heard many times like 10+ years ago when I last played, and as a result, I always keep extra product on hand of all types on all planets. But does it help at all or is this a waste of time?

thanks in advance!

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Questions about Colonists!!!
The reproduction and deaths of cols are SysOp configured in Tedit.
Some basic planets are better at producing cols eg. M , O have good col generation
While H have a higher death rate.

In Tedit these are known as Hazard level & Habitability rating.
The death is from Hazard level and growth based on Habitability rating.
One happens over time (hrs) and the other randomly at midnite or extern.

It has been a long time since I studied this so maybe someone can shed more light on this.

Keeping the col levels near but not over max (where cols produce max product before
they over populate and make less then max product)
Would be best , but you have to keep an eye on this throughout the day.

Best advice I can give you on that.

Hope this helps :)

Telnet://202.151.82.243:2002
Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)# 14340614
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winners of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:03 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander

..and regarding your on hand stock question:
I don't think having extra org or equip on hand will reduce the death rate, or increase the population rate.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Quote:
3) Does having an extra on-hand supply of organics & equipment help H type planets (or any other planet type) increase their colonist populations faster, or at least prevent them from dying off? This is some rumor I had heard many times like 10+ years ago when I last played, and as a result, I always keep extra product on hand of all types on all planets. But does it help at all or is this a waste of time?

Has no effect.

I just tested this on a stock game, M type planet, by putting 2 planets in sector. 1 planet had cols in ore and eq, the other had cols in ore, org, and equ, along with 1000 org to start. Sped up the clock by 30 days then checked. Both had the same number of cols in ore and eq, and the one w/ cols in org had grown at the exact same rate as the cols in equ. Ie: There was no difference in the rate of colonist growth.

Everything, it seems, is habitability and hazard rating. It's section #2 in the gold planet editor. Hazard level goes from 1 to 255, Habitability goes from 0 to 100.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:04 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

I find that keeping 2 colonists over the max (50002) on H planets helps them regen. This is on a basically stock planet in a bascially stock game. The only things I did was to up the fuel amounts as I figured 100k on an earth or ocean wasn't enough to repel any invasion attempts. They do die off but I find that they do regen if kept 2 over.

ahabstwgs.game-host.org
msn orkidz4u@hotmail.com
yahoo orkidz4u@yahoo.com
msn IM Ahab
yahoo IM Orkidz4u

Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:07 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]