View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Keeping track of my assets 
Warrant Officer

Unread post Keeping track of my assets
I am wondeirng how most TW players go about keeping track of their assets (ports, planets, deployed figs, mines, etc).

I realize that the helpers and what not that are in use today have awesome database and visual features built into them. But still, sometimes having a hard copy in front of you makes a big difference from simply viewing the data on a screen.

Do people still scribble things out by hand? is it done in Excel or other spreadsheets (which is what I do), or some other methods?

I'd very much like to hear about some of the methods experienced players use!

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:23 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Keeping track of my assets
Although there are the helpers or scripts to assist in keeping track, our Corp uses an Excel spreadsheet. I keep various sheets with different functions. One sheet is of course the server information, my corp name, password, and my members. Another sheet is used to record my daily log, what I did specifically that day. A third sheet keeps track of any ports of interest. Another sheet I use to list the type of ports, as well as bubbles so I can reference what bubble sector I think is best and what I want to use as decoys. Another sheet lists the planet specs, another is the ship specs. This excel file is keep up to date by myself, but is readable by my teammates at any time. If any one of my team want to update it, they can as long as I am not in it or another player.

I use to keep track on paper, but with my team paper is not an option, so Excel was the way to go for us. It has been our choice now for the last couple years.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm
Veteran Op

Prome has an asset check script that tells you all of this automatically.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:56 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Warrant Officer

Thanks for the great suggestions. Looks like Excel is defientely the way to go. I was creating info on our bubbles, and you gave me some good ideas for additional info to keep track of.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:33 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

RajuAbju wrote:
I am wondeirng how most TW players go about keeping track of their assets (ports, planets, deployed figs, mines, etc).

I realize that the helpers and what not that are in use today have awesome database and visual features built into them. But still, sometimes having a hard copy in front of you makes a big difference from simply viewing the data on a screen.

Do people still scribble things out by hand? is it done in Excel or other spreadsheets (which is what I do), or some other methods?

The only thing I keep track of are figs (available and grid), limps (grid), ships available, and planets. If a solo isn't on offensive (gridding / attacking) then he is most likely losing. Kill everything either on day 1 or day 2 if possible and data mining is irrelevant. This is for unlims and not turn based - well sometimes turn based, just depends on the edit and players you are against.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:04 pm
Profile ICQ
Warrant Officer

Promethius wrote:
RajuAbju wrote:

The only thing I keep track of are figs (available and grid), limps (grid), ships available, and planets. If a solo isn't on offensive (gridding / attacking) then he is most likely losing. Kill everything either on day 1 or day 2 if possible and data mining is irrelevant. This is for unlims and not turn based - well sometimes turn based, just depends on the edit and players you are against.

I guess I shoudl have prefaced by stating that I prefer playing in low-turn (3000 or less) "building" style games that typically last many months, and not the style of games that last a few days to a week or two. For those quick games, I agree spreadsheets not so helpful

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:44 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

The asset check script is good to get a list of what assets we have on a short notice. I use it to reference my asset page to be certain that the data matches (figs are the only variable where I estimate on the excel sheet since grids change constantly). But with the script I can reference its output to my data and make changes to update.

However, some scripts I have written dump to a text file, which I like because I can import the text file into a spreadsheet. So for example, if I do a search for BBB ports, SSS ports, and a grid file of all sectors gridded, I dump on a page. Then I have a column that I dump my bubble search into and it will reference and mark the sectors of interest that may be in a bubble and have a SSS or BBB. This is one of many items we use as a solid team.

Just a couple of ideas one can do with a spreadsheet.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:34 pm
Commander

Guess I'm Olde Fashion. Nothing beats Pen & Paper for keeping track of things like planet production-times/requirements.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:55 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
1st Sergeant

RajuAbju wrote:

I use spreadsheet as you and Thrawn have mentioned. Find it handy to keep track of my assets and such in a file. If I want to play on a seperate machine, then I can just transfer the file. I write scripts for specific functions I want or need in a game that, like Thrawn's outline, dump info to text files, etc. I can then use that info in my sheets for whatever the task-specific function I want.

LoneStar wrote:
Guess I'm Olde Fashion. Nothing beats Pen & Paper for keeping track of things like planet production-times/requirements.

I use paper and pencil too. Found the grid paper works real well. However, I tend to misplace my pencil from time to time so the spreadsheet is my backup ;)

Silently exploring the galaxy one sector at a time.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]