View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 command based tedit 
Gameop

Unread post command based tedit
Is there a command based tedit available to a sysop within the game itself. If so how do you access it and is it limited outside of bang options.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:39 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: command based tedit
Not sure exactly what you mean here. Do you mean can sysops access tedit while in the game? If so, the answer would be no. Game accounts are created as regular or observer accounts. Observer accounts have no direct access to tedit. I suppose if someone wanted to take the time to write a script that activates an account (local account that could access tedit), then it could indirectly access tedit from within the game by logging out of the game and into the tedit side by commands.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:40 pm
Gameop

Big D wrote:
Not sure exactly what you mean here. Do you mean can sysops access tedit while in the game? If so, the answer would be no. Game accounts are created as regular or observer accounts. Observer accounts have no direct access to tedit. I suppose if someone wanted to take the time to write a script that activates an account (local account that could access tedit), then it could indirectly access tedit from within the game by logging out of the game and into the tedit side by commands.

So the gui TwgsServer is the only way to access the editors. I ask cause I know Ice9 uses some sort of sector sweeper to enforce its truces and I was curious how or rather what type of commands are availble throuh the game itself(server side).

"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:52 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Quote:
So the gui TwgsServer is the only way to access the editors. I ask cause I know Ice9 uses some sort of sector sweeper to enforce its truces and I was curious how or rather what type of commands are availble throuh the game itself(server side).

You'll have to ask them exactly what access they are using because it could be done several ways. It's probably a timed script that access tedit on a random basis. I know this is not a twgs option or command and more than likely code that works in sequence with tedit.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:01 pm
Gameop

Big D wrote:
Quote:

You'll have to ask them exactly what access they are using because it could be done several ways. It's probably a timed script that access tedit on a random basis. I know this is not a twgs option or command and more than likely code that works in sequence with tedit.

So within the game server client side or local there are only two type f game accounts?

Regular and observer, niether of which will allow you to access tedit from within the game. Correct?

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:09 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

we're confusing sysops and observer accounts in this thread. i believe the OP asked about tedit access by sysops.

the answer is, yes. you can connect to tedit with your telnet client. i think the confusion arose when the OP used the terms "within the game itself." there is no tedit available to the sysop from your ship, but you can get to tedit easy with your telnet client by connecting to your twgs on the admin port. you define the admin port and password somewhere in the twgs gui. once you figure out what your admin port is, just point your telnet client to your server on that port and log in. there are certain things you can't do from the admin port, e.g. bang a game, boot a player, etc.

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:18 pm
Veteran Op

If that's what he mean, yes remote access is available to anyone that the sysop allows to connect remotely and has the password to the administration side. Maybe I'm confused, but I was thinking he wanted to access tedit from within the game itself. Not even sysops have that capablity without logging out and into the tedit side of the server.

By default, the game port is 23 while the admin port is 2003. To access tedit, you'd have to remotely log into the the administration port.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:45 pm
Gameop

Yeah I'm a boob, totally forgot about the sysop twgs port.. Duh :-<

What does <O> - BBS node editor do? I has a -1 to 32k value and I'm confused as to its purposes.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Kaus wrote:
Yeah I'm a boob, totally forgot about the sysop twgs port.. Duh :-<

What does <O> - BBS node editor do? I has a -1 to 32k value and I'm confused as to its purposes.

The node editor was used in the DOS version of TradeWars. A SysOp had to configure each node and tell TW where the drop files were, etc. For example, I run Synchronet BBS and have a DOS version of TW running. I have 10 nodes available for callers. In the DOS version of TW, I configure 10 nodes.

We don't use it in the TWGS.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Gameop

Thrawn wrote:
For example, I run Synchronet BBS and have a DOS version of TW running. I have 10 nodes available for callers. In the DOS version of TW, I configure 10 nodes.

Thrawn does your bbs run L.O.R.D, Drug wars or Excalibur?

Miss those games.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

I think everything was answered , but I recall the question if a sysop can access tedit from within a game , that is 2 edged .. yes , but having another telnet window and TWX connected in admin port.

I put scripts for this on grimmies .. 14_login
it is a nice way to handle that.
Also I worked on a truce processor called Sentinal
based on V'Gar or Thawns fed sweeper.

That runs on a random timer , so players don't get notice
or makes it difficult to guess when to move things.

did I miss anything ?

Telnet://202.151.82.243:2002
Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)# 14340614
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winners of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla

Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

Kaus wrote:
Thrawn wrote:
For example, I run Synchronet BBS and have a DOS version of TW running. I have 10 nodes available for callers. In the DOS version of TW, I configure 10 nodes.

Thrawn does your bbs run L.O.R.D, Drug wars or Excalibur?

Miss those games.

I do run LORD. Got Daala hooked on it. Will be adding more games. Have food fite, it's pretty fun. I'll add Excalibur and Drug Wars once I locate them and can make them run with Synchronet.

You can reach the bbs at: telnet bbs.outpost-4.com 6665 if you are interested.

Web interface is http://bbs.outpost-4.com

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 am
Gameop

Kaus wrote:

Everyone else is correct, all of my scripts run using TWX connecting to the TWGS' admin port.

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:52 am
Gameop

V'Ger wrote:
Kaus wrote:

Everyone else is correct, all of my scripts run using TWX connecting to the TWGS' admin port.

Yea I feel like a real boob not remembering the admin port. VG, have you found a way to combine player logs and admin logs? I noticed that while the admin logs show player created "xyz" it doesnt show player destroyed "xyz". Either that or the logs update at wierd times, I was thinking someone could combine with timestamp the two to get a good idea of whats going on truce violation wise.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:40 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

I have never really looked into it, but it should not be too difficult to do using an access database and vb script.

Proud Sysop of ICE9 TWGS
Home of Building and Non Regulated Games
http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9
telnet://ice9-tw.com:2002

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]