View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 IE 7 and Telnet. 
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post IE 7 and Telnet.
Was finally forced to DL IE7. now I cant connect directly to telnet by clicking the links in the game bang forum. (I use thes to check game stats like whos online and in game when I dont want to stop my script and such....) It goes straight to a "page can not be displayed' error. Any ideas?

Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Unread post Re: IE 7 and Telnet.
Farley wrote:
Was finally forced to DL IE7. now I cant connect directly to telnet by clicking the links in the game bang forum. (I use thes to check game stats like whos online and in game when I dont want to stop my script and such....) It goes straight to a "page can not be displayed' error. Any ideas?

MS in their infinite wisdom removed that capability in IE7. I've heard of workarounds, but never got them to work.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Fri May 21, 2010 4:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Promethius wrote:
Farley wrote:

MS in their infinite wisdom removed that capability in IE7. I've heard of workarounds, but never got them to work.

There was a work around, but for some workstations it does not work. We had the telnet working in our XP and Vista machine, then had to reformat the XP machine, and now the workaround will not work in XP. And just recently the Vista machine stopped doing it.

We were actually toying with the idea of creating a TWGS directory for the web browser, where we had mini-terminals that visitors could click to login to that specific server. We would have each server listed with a small mini-terminal that they "connect" in their browser and it will connect to that server. The downside is it uses Flash, but if enough interest is there, we could finish it up and publicize it.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Fri May 21, 2010 4:20 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

thanks for the response, but I hate to say it. Ya'alls are speakin spanish. laff. I am a complete 'tard when it comes to computers. Whats the chance that dl'ing 8 would be a good idea/fix the problem? (not sure if 8 is available or not, just saw something about it when I was hunting for 7.)

Fri May 21, 2010 4:37 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

if you're using vista, they don't even ship it with telnet.exe anymore. i think there is a way to bind another application to the telnet links but its not easy to do anymore in ie8.

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Fri May 21, 2010 7:18 pm
Commander

the reverend wrote:
if you're using vista, they don't even ship it with telnet.exe anymore. i think there is a way to bind another application to the telnet links but its not easy to do anymore in ie8.

Exactly. That's why we were designing a page that had a directory of all the telnet addresses to the different TWGS servers. The visitor could click that server, which opened a window and used the FlashTerm we had in the HTML file. I use it to access mine all the time on the road. At least it gives an alternative.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Fri May 21, 2010 7:33 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

Yee haw.... (this will show exactly how dumb I am when it comes to computers.) the resolution was easy. Even I should have figured it out earlier.

Firefox. Problem resolved. LAFF :oops:
Tks for the ideas/replies.

Sat May 22, 2010 4:52 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]