View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Another Tactical Question 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Another Tactical Question
Here's another scenario:

20k sectors, 15k turns/day, unlimited time, planet and ship edits.

There are currently 3 active corps. Corp 1 consists of 2 experienced players. Corp 3 consists of 3 experienced players. Corp 2 is just myself, a very rusty old guy. (I make a corp out of habit, leftover from the old days I reckon).

Obviously I can't out cash or out build a multi-member corp. I can't generate the defenses or run offenses as well as they can either. So other than just trying to survive and hope the other two die of boredom with killing each other, any suggestions?

Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:54 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Re: Another Tactical Question
Never mind the above. It has become fairly clear that this type of game is a wash. Between the 2 corps, they pretty much have the universe locked down. Add to that the fact that all 5 of them are staying online 24/7 and running bots to keep their grids alive and kill anything that hits it, there is no way I can compete. And at least one of the 2 corps knows where I am, so it's just a matter of time before they wipe me out.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:29 am
Lieutenant Commander

its very hard to 'break in' to an unlimited game which has gone on for a day. in fact, against top players a few hours is too much of a head start to catch up. there are a few sites which have fairly high game turnover... try to get into one right when it bangs and see if you have better luck

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 pm
Ambassador

HiTechRedneck wrote:
Never mind the above. It has become fairly clear that this type of game is a wash. Between the 2 corps, they pretty much have the universe locked down. Add to that the fact that all 5 of them are staying online 24/7 and running bots to keep their grids alive and kill anything that hits it, there is no way I can compete. And at least one of the 2 corps knows where I am, so it's just a matter of time before they wipe me out.

With TW now being worked on once again, it's my hope that we'll have an "Old School" mode that will make the game more player friendly for those who prefer to actually play the game themselves and NOT run AFK kill scripts. Hang in there! In the mean time you might want to try one of the builder type games. I beleive the builder game "I" on Ice-9 will be resetting next weekend. I've played there since January and there's a good group of regulars who play there. There are time and turn limits in this game, and grids are frowned upon. Please read the rules for playing this game.

http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9/

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

booger wrote:
its very hard to 'break in' to an unlimited game which has gone on for a day. in fact, against top players a few hours is too much of a head start to catch up. there are a few sites which have fairly high game turnover... try to get into one right when it bangs and see if you have better luck

Actually, I was the second player in, the first player having a head start of about 5 minutes. My biggest 2 problems in this game are that I am a solo player, and unlike my opponents, I cannot afford to leave my computer logged on 24/7. My wife and stepdaughter both have their own computers, which are newer than mine and with much better specs (except for my 8600GTS video card and larger PS) and their systems crawl because of all the garbage they, my daughter and my 2 stepsons like to download, install and rarely even use. So I have to keep my computer passworded to keep them all off of it.

The sad part is, the other 5 players have yet to wipe me out of the game, and I am either too stupid, or too stubborn to just quit. So I'll keep building until I log in one day to find everything gone.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:29 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Cruncher wrote:
HiTechRedneck wrote:

With TW now being worked on once again, it's my hope that we'll have an "Old School" mode that will make the game more player friendly for those who prefer to actually play the game themselves and NOT run AFK kill scripts. Hang in there! In the mean time you might want to try one of the builder type games. I beleive the builder game "I" on Ice-9 will be resetting next weekend. I've played there since January and there's a good group of regulars who play there. There are time and turn limits in this game, and grids are frowned upon. Please read the rules for playing this game.

http://www.oregonsouth.com/ice9/

I might give them a shot once I get wiped out in this game. As I've said, I'm either too stupid, or too stubborn to simply quit.

I personally prefer a lot of the new mods (new to me, last time I was active in TW I was using a dialup with a 56k modem). I've never cared for "time limit" games, since I can only play for about 5 hours total daily during the week, and 12-16 hours a day on the weekends. I don't mind "gridding" so much, with the understanding that if you are actually online, and I hit one of your figs, you may come after me. But personally, I see this whole AFK-Kill-Script thing as a crock. The one thing we preached on every BBS I was an ASYSOP on, was Honor. If you told someone that you would leave them be for 1 week, don't go attacking them without provocation after only 6 days, etc. There is no honor in having your computer play the game for you while you sleep. I wonder if TW could be set up to detect a Keep-Alive script, and after x-number of repeats from it, do a kick/1-3 hour ban. That would eliminate a lot of the lurkers with the auto-relogin scripts.

Sorry for the rant, I might give the ICE9 game a shot if I get killed off soon enough. I looked through their website, read the rules, and it seems like a good place.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:43 am
Veteran Op

HiTechRedneck wrote:
There is no honor in having your computer play the game for you while you sleep. I wonder if TW could be set up to detect a Keep-Alive script, and after x-number of repeats from it, do a kick/1-3 hour ban. That would eliminate a lot of the lurkers with the auto-relogin scripts.

Those scripts are very easy to take advantage of. If they're running an auto-kill or auto-cash script, there's
more than a few ways to shut them down.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:03 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

The answer on detecting the keep-alive is maybe for non-scripters using public scripts, and no for those of us that write scripts. I would simply use a random keystroke based on the prompt that I am at, and maybe throw in a random logoff and back on. The anti-script tactics will work very well for those that can't change their scripts.

A solo player needs to maintain a 24/7 presence or be invaded while offline. I play solo almost 100% of the time and when I drop, the other players go after the grid/base because they have no worries.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:07 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Promethius wrote:
The answer on detecting the keep-alive is maybe for non-scripters using public scripts, and no for those of us that write scripts. I would simply use a random keystroke based on the prompt that I am at, and maybe throw in a random logoff and back on. The anti-script tactics will work very well for those that can't change their scripts.

Hehe. Invisible keepalive. Char #27 doesn't show up at all, would be difficult to catch.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

15k turns is a near unlim

2 ways to play above game

get in at bang with your corpies

join a already existing corp

FOr those looking for a slower start to a game choose a low turn game on a easy going server

I don't understand the issue. I have never had a hard time finding a game to play in an edit that i like

Trying to make the game even between a multimember corp who came in at bang and a solo player who wants to start on day 3 is futile.

Coconut Telegraph (ICQ)#586137616
Team Speak3@ 220.244.125.70:9987
Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Winner of Gridwars 2010 - Ka Pla
Jesus wounldn't Subspace Crawl

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:06 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Lieutenant Commander

i hear you but to be fair he was in at bang. still, 2 or 3 people will generally waste one with ease. skill level or script ability doesnt really factor in... numbers does it

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:10 pm
Commander

First off what part of Indiana are you from Hitech? Second off what is the server you are playing at? Still alive in the game? Btw.. From Fort Wayne myself

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm
Ambassador

I think this is why returning players get discouraged and leave. When you come back you're coming back solo, you don't have a corpie, and you don't know yet who you can trust.

He's not stupid or a glutton for punishment, he just wants to play.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant Commander

Cruncher wrote:
I think this is why returning players get discouraged and leave. When you come back you're coming back solo, you don't have a corpie, and you don't know yet who you can trust.

He's not stupid or a glutton for punishment, he just wants to play.

cruncher, who said he was stupid or a glutton for punishment? and this player doesnt seem to be leaving either. and he is playing. how does your post help him at all? this is not the forum for debate, and everyone already knows your opinion anyways.

hitech, if you want to go on an unlimited solo, i know UTW bangs them. if you need a corpie, theres a classified section... although a lot of people are occupied with a big tournament right now. its really hard to avoid afk scripting. even in turn limit games with a time limit there are workarounds...

i dont let my kids touch my pc, but my wife does mess it up from time to time. she broke her laptop by smacking it off of the doorjam like, idk 20 times maybe? families are bad for technology... maybe you can put a little electrified fence around the keyboard while you arent home... its a shame most pcs dont have a keylock anymore.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:29 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Comet wrote:
First off what part of Indiana are you from Hitech? Second off what is the server you are playing at? Still alive in the game? Btw.. From Fort Wayne myself

Lafayette now. Spent quite a few years in Indy, including my BBSing days, and the a couple of years in Portage. Been here in Laf. for almost a decade now. Right now I'm playing at Feloniousgames game 'C'. I'll find out after I answer some of these posts wether or not I'm still breathing in it. I was before I went to work..... :)

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next