View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Combating a gridder 
Commander

Unread post Combating a gridder
I'm playing a turns game against an opponent who has started running a grid script. He's gridded adjacent to a few of my planets without touching them. I'm sure his database has recorded that there is something there, at least by density. But the player may not be aware that he's discovered my planets. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Most people don't grid in turns games, so I've never given much thought to combating them. If I create a perimeter around my planets using the typical figs/armids/limpets combo, will the typical grid script not intrude? I'm hoping it will keep him at bay until he decides to sweep my fake grid.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am
Profile WWW
Commander

Unread post Re: Combating a gridder
Incidentally, what is the purpose of placing 1 armid in gridded sectors? Is it so you know no opponent's armids are there, and it's safer to move there while carrying a photon?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

http://tw-cabal.navhaz.com

or Traitor's TW Cabal Site in PDF format Traitor gave permission to create this pdf from his site. The only requirement he asked was that no changes in the credits were made.

This is the definitive guide for turn game stategy

Here is Sing's guide for the returning player. He talks about how gridding is the biggest change a returning player will see

http://www.navhaz.com/dny_tw_tutorial.txt

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Commander

If the answers to my questions are there, I don't see them. I've also read the passive gridding sticky in this forum. That's where I got the impression that someone running a grid script might not be aware of what's adjacent to their grid. They may not have even holo-scanned it. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Most Passive gridders will Holo if Density scan is above the normal threshold. So my guess would be they know the planets are there. My other guess would be there are just building resources up for now.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Mongoose wrote:
If the answers to my questions are there, I don't see them. I've also read the passive gridding sticky in this forum. That's where I got the impression that someone running a grid script might not be aware of what's adjacent to their grid. They may not have even holo-scanned it. Is that a reasonable assumption?

No. The gridding rule of thumb is dscan in every sector, holoscan if you see any density above 0 that is not already recorded in your twx database. ie no need to holoscan if you are surrounded by your own figs...

Assume, a gridder who passes adj holoscanned your sector. One of the reasons TW-Cabal talks about multiple bases is that they are supposed to be disposable if found before the planets go L4, once they are mobile you move them if found.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Even if they only dscan a simple search in TWX for sector density > 500 would show those sectors. So it would still reveal the base, just a matter of if they know what they are doing or not.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:39 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Helix wrote:
No. The gridding rule of thumb is dscan in every sector, holoscan if you see any density above 0 that is not already recorded in your twx database.

OK, good info. So his DB probably knows what's there, even if he doesn't.

Quote:
One of the reasons TW-Cabal talks about multiple bases is that they are supposed to be disposable if found before the planets go L4, once they are mobile you move them if found.

Yeah, that's my strategy. My opponent is red and could probably lock down the game any time he wants. For now I am spending all my turns and money building more planets, not buying fighters because I know I can't buy enough to defend against him anyway.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Mongoose wrote:
Incidentally, what is the purpose of placing 1 armid in gridded sectors? Is it so you know no opponent's armids are there, and it's safer to move there while carrying a photon?

Adds a prompt:

Bad gridders get stuck on the mine prompt
People carrying photons lose turns (happens to us all)
Makes a decent jump spot for gridding purposes
Can indicate anything you want (fringe area, possible home base, etc) context is everything

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:42 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Mongoose wrote:
OK, good info. So his DB probably knows what's there, even if he doesn't.

Probably. I don't know if you've tried TWX yet. But if you go to the General Info Tab and right arrow (>) you will see a dbase of all enemy sectors holo scanned by your scripts.

And you're right, you don't know when or if they've checked these yet. In my first aggressive game back my opponents would buzz past my door sector looking for me, but never "seeing". I had to laugh because I was able to build some L6 H's in the mean time.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Mongoose wrote:
Yeah, that's my strategy. My opponent is red and could probably lock down the game any time he wants. For now I am spending all my turns and money building more planets, not buying fighters because I know I can't buy enough to defend against him anyway.

If you hit him ship-to-ship and SD him, then all the resources he has isn't worth much if you are both solo players. There have been a lot of games won where the winner didn't have the resources of the other player.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Promethius wrote:
If you hit him ship-to-ship and SD him, then all the resources he has isn't worth much if you are both solo players. There have been a lot of games won where the winner didn't have the resources of the other player.

I randomly found him where he got towed out of FedSpace one day. Popped his cloak... he had 20K fighters to my 5K. :lol:

If I ever see him online again, I could try catching him in a Colt. But he surrounds the sectors where he runs SDT. I'd probably trip his saveme before I could hit him.

I think my only hope is to keep building planets.

Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]