View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 What is a blister? 
Ensign

Unread post What is a blister?
I was looking through some of Traitor's scripts and I saw a script for gathering game data, and one of the data files it builds is a list of blisters. I did a search here on the board and I couldn't find any posts that even mention them. So, what is a blister?

He said they're rare, so I'm assuming I probably won't run into them or at least not often, but you know how curiosity is :mrgreen:

Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:59 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: What is a blister?
I think it might not be a "blister", but instead a B Lister.
So that it is trying to list something starting with B, but for the life of me, I cannot think what it could be.

Just a thought.

Curing ignorance and terminal stupidity since 1999.

Questioning the intellectual abilities of three digit annual salary earners since 2015.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Bubbles?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Why do I have a Violent Fems song stuck in my head now? ;)

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

They do exist, there not mentioned on the board because there not well recognized. But basically a Blister is a tunnel like formation where unless your specifically targeting the sectors E-probes will not likely warp through there.

They also do not show up as a Dead end or a bubble on a ztm.

They are warp irregularities that share the same entrance and exit. As such they can make ideal hiding spots, however many of the long time players know about them and usually will target them first. Since many bangs have less than a handful of "true" blisters there extremely easy to flush players out of.

Back in the day before they were well known they were the shiz.

//The simplest way to visualize a blister is a tri-force, yes the Zelda game.
Code:
                                      3 ----- 2
                                        \    /

For a blister to exist both the entrance and the exit are generally a single sector. This can expand out beyond 3 unique sectors but tends to be rarer than the standard three sector Blister.

Maybe Kav or EP can weigh in and give a better description.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:23 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Kaus wrote:
They do exist, there not mentioned on the board because there not well recognized. But basically a Blister is a tunnel like formation where unless your specifically targeting the sectors E-probes will not likely warp through there.

I call those "mystery spots". :-P

Picture the TW universe as a physical object. If sectors were balls and warps were strings, and you grabbed Stardock and picked the whole thing up... mystery spots are balls with two or more strings where all the strings lead to balls that are either at the same distance from your hand, or closer.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Kaus wrote:
Code:
                                      3 ----- 2
                                        \    /

This example just needs some clarification. sector 2 will have warp(s) out into space, or into other portions of the blister. Sector's 2 and 3 are (in this size of example) connected to one another directly, and through sector 1. One(of sector's 2 and 3, in this example we will say sector 2) will have have a warpout into space, but sector 1 cannot. Both sectors 2 and 3 can have warpouts when the blister is expanded to larger amounts of adjoining sectors in this way. This will sometimes turn into a bubble.

Therefore, sector 1 will never be plotted through when an eprobe is fired.

These sectors can be found by a few of the publicly available scripts out there, although low traffic tunnels are generally safer as there are more of them out there.

Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:12 pm
Profile ICQ
Ensign

Thanks for the interesting old school lesson everyone. :D These sound way cool, unless you're in a game against some 'old hands', in which case it sounds like you would be dead meat pretty quick :lol:

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]