View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Reminiscing 
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post 
I am looking for some old players to reminisce with. Does anyone out there remember "Worldnet"? Back in the BBS days, I would say somewhere between 96 and 98. There were I think 3 worldnet host systems, that other BBS's could link to through the internet. I played on a BBS called Crystal Quill based out of the DC area. Anyway, the first TW world championship I am aware of was hosted by a BBS based out of Ohio, it was one of these Worldnet host systems. The game back then was really more like BOTE is today then the WTC. The idea was that each member board could send a team of as many players as they wanted, (I think Dupes were not allowed). The winner was the team that catpured a level 5 or 6 U and held it for 48 hours I think. Anyway, I was the CEO of the winning team, and am looking for my old enemies in that game. The next strongest team was a bunch of Canadians I think, though they could have been from Michigan or Wisconsin. Anyway, anyone out there remember these days or participated in it? For those that didn't, I will fill in some more detail, just for glory's sake. My team consisted of about 15 people <G>, the next biggest team which was our main threat had I think 9 people. Now, I know not everyone on our team played full turns, and I remember one of our players, Angus Thermopyle went nuts when I killed him in a local game and he started wacking our own team in the tourny game. Hence, we developed a term, going Angus, meaning to go nuts and attack your own people <G> Those were the days. Anyway, we took the U first and managed to hold it the entire time. I think the game lasted less than 15 or 20 days. The way we held it, back in MBBS TW, tholians were actually useful, I had at least 10 of my team members in maxed tholians above the planet so the other team could not land <G>. They were only allowed into the game if one of the planet sitters was in and told them all was clear (so they didn't get their nice maxed tholians wacked by mines or offensive figs). Anyway, thats a piece of history I have to hold on to because I haven't "won" a game (completely dominated) in years <G>

Col Sanders

Thu Apr 12, 2001 4:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]