View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Should scripts be allowed or disallowed in Tradewars 

Should the use of scripts be allowed in Tradewars?
NO 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
YES 91%  91%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 35

Should scripts be allowed or disallowed in Tradewars 
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Should scripts be allowed or disallowed in Tradewars
Checkin It Out wrote:
Wow~~

Awesome. This is just the kind of response I had hoped to not get, but I am not at all surprised that I got it.

It shouldn't surprise you based on your comments

People wonder whats wrong with TW. Where are all the players, how do we get new people to join, should we have scripts or not, etc.

A lot of the "elites" that were around when I came back went to WoW and Eve, and drama in the forums drove some others away.

Then we get a response from an Elite (Sing I assume is Elite) that is not only an excellent example of the problem but also an Elite-ist statement.

Sing is one of the few that I would consider and "elite", I am not - average to below average actually.

"Players that are too lazy to learn how to write and are just script kiddies can use the scripts we deem public, or do as we have done and learn how to write scripts."

Really? So tradewars is now a game that only a computer programmer can play and compete in? Ok. fine. Whats that I hear? Taps? The game is dead and wont come back. Good work. Way to be productive. Nice solution.

So your with your sense of entitlement, script writers should give you everything they write? Sorry, I'm not a Democrat.

I find it hard to believe (and i might be wrong) that the guys in my day, were all script writers. Did Prestone write scripts? Didiskalos? Dr. Who? Bob? Intrepid? The list goes on. Maybe they did, maybe they didnt. But to have the attitude that if you dont, then we get what YOU give us, is just plain wrong. Why dont you spit on us while your at it.

What are you entitled to get? Most of use have provided scripts to the public, but keep our combat scripts private. Scripts have been around for a long time, but scripts became common when Grimytrader came online and we started sharing our scripts. Why did we share our scripts on Grimy? It wasn't to keep other players down.

I mean really. If I were to play X-box online, and I kept getting the Kansas City Royals, and you kept getting the New York Yankees....how long would I play? For you non baseball peeps, we can say I get the Cleveland Browns, and you get the Patriots, I get Leon Spinks and you get Mike Tyson.....I get a knife you get a gun.....

I'll take the Red Sox. The problem with this is you are stating something that is out of the player's control. Modifying public scripts or learning to write a script is not out of a player's control. If you were to play a game where I practiced every day and you came in once a month, who would stand a better chance? It is about effort.

Its just not equitable. I realize that writing scripts is a lot of work. I realize you do it to win. But at some point we have to look at the bigger picture. If I can never win, then the game has problems. I would like them fixed....apparently some people do not.

No, the game doesn't have problems in this scenario, but the player does. Why couldn't you win? There are very good public scripts out that are competitive. Script writers just have the ability to adapt very quickly.

Why cant you beat me based on your strategy? Your base building and location, knowing what scripts to run, your time at keys, etc....why make it so i have virtually no chance right off the bat?

Private scripts do not insure a win, and I have lost to non-scripters in games many times because their strategy and luck was better than my strategy and luck.

I dont want a game in a box. I want a game where the tools are equal and the intelligence and strategy decides the outcome....

Sorry, but when the "tools are equal" then it sounds very much like a game-in-a-box where all capabilities are constrained by the game designer.

One thing I find interesting on the "private vs public" issue is the misperception that there is a large group of scripters that rule everything with all-in-one kill everyone private scripts. I only know probably a dozen that write scripts, and just a few where I would be comfortable using their scripts without a lot of testing: Sing, Vid, MD, Doog, EP, and LoneStar for instance.

One last thought, if you had an advantage say typing 100 wpm against me typing 20-30 wpm, would you suggest slowing the game to that rate?

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:32 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Promethius wrote:
Sorry, but when the "tools are equal" then it sounds very much like a game-in-a-box where all capabilities are constrained by the game designer.

If the tools are the only deciding factor as to who wins and who looses, then we're playing programmers vs. every-day-gamers. I'll have to disagree with the game-in-a-box anology. Humans at the keys are the "unknown" element. You never know what goofy thing someone will try. The game it's self has infinate possibilities - it's gotten predicable when you all play the same TWA's day in and day out.

Promethius wrote:
One thing I find interesting on the "private vs public" issue is the misperception that there is a large group of scripters that rule everything with all-in-one kill everyone private scripts. I only know probably a dozen that write scripts, and just a few where I would be comfortable using their scripts without a lot of testing: Sing, Vid, MD, Doog, EP, and LoneStar for instance.

Not exactly a misperception - Which corp wins most every tournament they play? I'll give you a hint, the name starts with the letter "K"

Promethius wrote:
One last thought, if you had an advantage say typing 100 wpm against me typing 20-30 wpm, would you suggest slowing the game to that rate?

With the same set of "tools" seems to me everyone will by typing at the same speed. Or - play one of the games with limited access - the old door game style, only JP has modified that a bit, either single player, one corp at a time, or multi-player. If you type slow, or are a solo player, get in during the single player time and have at it as slow as you want to be in the given time frame.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:46 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Cruncher wrote:
Not exactly a misperception - Which corp wins most every tournament they play? I'll give you a hint, the name starts with the letter "K"

Actually Kraaken wins a lot because they put the effort into winning and they work well together. Do they win every game? No. There have been other corps win major tournaments just not long ago. Ground Zero won the Ice tourney, Boo Inc (with Sing as CEO) won a major tournament not long ago, and I'm sure if you invested the time and effort that your corp would have a chance at winning one in the future. Instead of whinning about how you can't win try this:

1) Look around for some decent corpies that want to learn.
2) Learn to work well and comunicate together as a corp.
3) Practice tourney style games and get familiar with the most popular edits.
4) Put together a library of decent scripts (public scripts will work just fine)
5) Figure out what scripts work best for certain situations.
6) Put together a game plan well in advance of the tournament.

You do these things and you WILL be competitive and maybe even win.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:29 pm
Ambassador

Big D wrote:
Cruncher wrote:

Actually Kraaken wins a lot because they put the effort into winning and they work well together. Do they win every game? No. There have been other corps win major tournaments just not long ago. Ground Zero won the Ice tourney, Boo Inc (with Sing as CEO) won a major tournament not long ago, and I'm sure if you invested the time and effort that your corp would have a chance at winning one in the future. Instead of whinning about how you can't win try this:

4) Put together a library of decent scripts (public scripts will work just fine)

IF - we non-script writers agree to be botted. Gamers vs. script writters - not gonna happen.

Each of these three winning teams consisted of at least one script writter. You cannot deny that.

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:38 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Everyone playing has a Computer & Text Editor of some kind.... Game is even!

Unless the next version of TWGS only allows for typing 20wpm and restricts everyone to the same input speed it will never be 100% even (in some peoples eyes).

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:52 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Cruncher wrote:
Promethius wrote:

If the tools are the only deciding factor as to who wins and who looses, then we're playing programmers vs. every-day-gamers. I'll have to disagree with the game-in-a-box anology. Humans at the keys are the "unknown" element. You never know what goofy thing someone will try. The game it's self has infinate possibilities - it's gotten predicable when you all play the same TWA's day in and day out.

The tools are not the only deciding factor in a game, but by being able to develop new tools, we develop new strategy and tactics. As you say, humans are the unknown and even with the best tools they can still be beat.

Promethius wrote:

Could it be that they are just better players? They know how to execute their game plan and do it. A very organized group will, in the vast majority of time, beat an unorganized group.

Promethius wrote:

With the same set of "tools" seems to me everyone will by typing at the same speed. Or - play one of the games with limited access - the old door game style, only JP has modified that a bit, either single player, one corp at a time, or multi-player. If you type slow, or are a solo player, get in during the single player time and have at it as slow as you want to be in the given time frame.

No, everyone will not type at the same speed or with the same accuracy. I believe the player's name might have been Hekate who typed extremely fast and accurate - would I stand a chance manually typng at my speed? No, my hands are no longer capable of typing fast.

You state "If you type slow, or are a solo" and give an alternative. I would also give an alternative, if someone doesn't like to play against scripts, find a game without them or where they are crippled by the settings.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:56 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Cruncher wrote:
Big D wrote:
Cruncher wrote:

IF - we non-script writers agree to be botted. Gamers vs. script writters - not gonna happen.

Each of these three winning teams consisted of at least one script writter. You cannot deny that.

Why do you have to be botted?

The winning teams had a script writer, and? Are script writers not supposed to play the game lest it tarnishs the win? The last tourney I was in I didn't write a single script, but I modified one public script that we were using to always have someone logged in and out on timers.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:13 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

T0yman wrote:

Unless the next version of TWGS only allows for typing 20wpm and restricts everyone to the same input speed it will never be 100% even (in some peoples eyes).

Agreed. The tools are availabe to anyone to create whatever it is that they want. Help is available for those with scripting questions in the forum.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:18 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Running for a couple of weeks. No interest what so ever. I would have expected 20 or so old schoolers to hear folks talk about it.

No Script Game 1k/250 09/02/2011 Open 60 Min TL

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Helix wrote:
Running for a couple of weeks. No interest what so ever. I would have expected 20 or so old schoolers to hear folks talk about it.

No Script Game 1k/250 09/02/2011 Open 60 Min TL

H

Because we DO use scripts to trade, haul and colonize. No one wants carpel tunnel syndrom...

My server - Low turn/time limit games, Planets move delay 5s, photon delay 2s, emulation 56k down, 1mb up. MBBS mode - Mega Rob off.

I have players playing these games.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:39 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Promethius wrote:
T0yman wrote:

Agreed. The tools are availabe to anyone to create whatever it is that they want. Help is available for those with scripting questions in the forum.

Yes, and when they're ready they'll ask. I've just sent Vid a returning player who wanted to learn more. I'm not against players having the choice to play script, I'm fighting for those who opt to NOT play combat/AFK/BOT scripts.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:41 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Veteran Op

Cruncher wrote:
Because we DO use scripts to trade, haul and colonize. No one wants carpel tunnel syndrom...

My server - Low turn/time limit games, Planets move delay 5s, photon delay 2s, emulation 56k down, 1mb up. MBBS mode - Mega Rob off.

So all the players can type "c p y 2345 * q m 2345 * *" in 2 seconds....that's not fair I can't type it that fast. Oh and heaven forbid I have to xport ships before I move. So either no one is firing photons or someone is scripting. :)

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:47 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

T0yman wrote:
Cruncher wrote:

So all the players can type "c p y 2345 * q m 2345 * *" in 2 seconds....that's not fair I can't type it that fast. Oh and heaven forbid I have to xport ships before I move. So either no one is firing photons or someone is scripting. :)

Nope, the photon wave lasts 10 seconds. The new delay gives you two seconds to avoid the wave. In other words, you receive a message that a photon has been fired into your sector, you have two seconds to move before the wave takes your turns. That's plenty enough time to type m 2345 or hit the < key.

I'm not saying you'll never loose turns, or you'll never have a planet dropped on your head in my games - these things are still possible, but now "at key" players can move out of the way without relying on a script.

Get it?

I don't like crippled up truce games, I want players to have the opportunity to play aggressively without ending up being a guppy in a shark pond.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

Cruncher wrote:
Promethius wrote:
T0yman wrote:

Yes, and when they're ready they'll ask. I've just sent Vid a returning player who wanted to learn more. I'm not against players having the choice to play script, I'm fighting for those who opt to NOT play combat/AFK/BOT scripts.

What is there to fight for? The settings are there. I'm not sure why some people continue to bash scripts - esp private ones. I won't go into a non-attack script game and use scripts so what exactly is the issue?

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:11 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

The funny part is that some of the new TWGS changes have crippled the public scripts that are available. I'll repair mine, and I'll pass those repaired scripts out to my corpies, but the general public will either have to learn how to script and make the needed changes or be forced to play by hand. Now who does this effect most? I'll give you a hint. Not the scripters.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next