View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Time for TW 
Site Admin

Unread post Time for TW
I want to apologize for my recent absence. With a new baby in April (number 4!) and spending every available moment working on a facebook game, TW had to slip for awhile. But things are changing quite a bit lately and I hope to carve out time for TW again. I'm starting a new job on Monday, as the physics programmer for Cloud Imperium Games, working on Star Citizen. I'm going to actually be moving to Santa Monica temporarily for 3 months to dig in on the project, while my family stays back in KC. That means I'm going to have a bit of extra time after work, and unless CIG has an issue with it, I'd like to spend some of that time on a new TW release.

As soon as I'm in a position to make some progress, I'd like to start talking about the major bugs that have surfaced since the last major release and try to get that stuff cleaned up. I have some other goals as well, but bug fixes are the highest priority for now.

I'll follow up soon, once I'm settled in to the job and know how much time I'm going to have to devote to TW.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Time for TW
Congratulations JP on #4! and the new job!

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Ambassador

I reported this to you a while ago, just going to refresh your memory.

When using Access Manager and restricting access or closing the game, there needs to be a global announcement made to the players letting them know 5 minutes in advance with a countdown for each minute until the game closes or announcing the type of access restriction.

Similar to the global announcement made when you need to close the server while players are online.

Thank John!

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

I never knew how lucky I was to have one kid.. until I had the 2nd!

4 kids.. good on you brother!!

I'm just happy to see that the game is still being improved upon. Thanks for your efforts John!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:25 am
Commander

"Like"

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

Welcome back!!! Reentry bug for Cannons. Drained all the way down to nothing then you go back in and POW! haha

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 pm
Veteran Op

Comet wrote:
Welcome back!!! Reentry bug for Cannons. Drained all the way down to nothing then you go back in and POW! haha

If I remember correctly doesn't it have something to do with if you try landing so it updates the planet stats? I know this had been worked on at one time but I have seen a few people mention it still exists.

Comet please correct me if I am wrong.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Site Admin

Is it a new bug or an old one that's never been properly fixed?

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:47 am
Profile WWW
Commander

John Pritchett wrote:
I want to apologize for my recent absence. With a new baby in April (number 4!) and spending every available moment working on a facebook game, TW had to slip for awhile. But things are changing quite a bit lately and I hope to carve out time for TW again. I'm starting a new job on Monday, as the physics programmer for Cloud Imperium Games, working on Star Citizen. I'm going to actually be moving to Santa Monica temporarily for 3 months to dig in on the project, while my family stays back in KC. That means I'm going to have a bit of extra time after work, and unless CIG has an issue with it, I'd like to spend some of that time on a new TW release.

As soon as I'm in a position to make some progress, I'd like to start talking about the major bugs that have surfaced since the last major release and try to get that stuff cleaned up. I have some other goals as well, but bug fixes are the highest priority for now.

I'll follow up soon, once I'm settled in to the job and know how much time I'm going to have to devote to TW.

Welcome back, and congrats on the new addition to your family!

Curing ignorance and terminal stupidity since 1999.

Questioning the intellectual abilities of three digit annual salary earners since 2015.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:13 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

John Pritchett wrote:

It is an old one, I thought pre TWGS. I didn't know it was still around. My best recollection is that it only kicked in when assets went rogue.

Sector moth it to nothing, figure the cannon settings and ore remaining per the script at the end of this post, ore left supposedly zero, land, and WHAM! Planet has regenned to max , trader gets SD on atmo.

main()
{
int startore;int oreleft; int damage1;int damage2;int damage3; int sector;
str D1[7];str D2[7];str sect[5]; str percent[5]; str dec[2];
printsc("First damage ? ");gets(D1);prints();printsc("Second damage ? ");gets(d2);prints();
damage1=stoi(d1);damage2=stoi(d2);
sector=(damage1-damage2)*10000/damage1;itos(sector,sect);
startore=30000*damage1/sector;
oreleft=startore-(damage1+damage2)*3;
damage3=oreleft*sector/30000;
subchrs(sect,strlen(sect)-2,2,dec);
subchrs(sect,0,strlen(sect)-2,percent);strcat(percent,".");
strcat(percent,dec);

printsc("Sector percent : "); printsc(percent); prints("%");
printsc("Remaining Ore : "); printn(oreleft);prints();
printsc("Next damage : "); printn(damage3);prints();

}

Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:17 pm
Veteran Op

John Pritchett wrote:

I thought you had attempted a fix at one time. I just read back some of the revisions and I don't see it mentioned.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:53 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Tried it on
Ver# 3.34b running under TWGS v2.

I do not know if that ver is current, haven't played much lately.

It mirror's T0ymans and my recollection, long abandoned planets sector mothed down, regen to 100 if there is a landing event. It was Rogue, but not certain that that is necessary. My memory is that it was always Rogues, but long abandoned would be, so dunno.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:59 pm
Veteran Op

Kavanagh wrote:
Tried it on

It mirror's T0ymans and my recollection, long abandoned planets sector mothed down, regen to 100 if there is a landing event. It was Rogue, but not certain that that is necessary. My memory is that it was always Rogues, but long abandoned would be, so dunno.

I know it used to happen on Alien & Rogue planets. I don't remember if it happened on player/corp owned planets but I doubt if they act differently. I have seen this many times while playing on Ice-9, and I always accused V'Ger cause it just seemed like something he would do... :lol:

Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:16 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

Grats on kid #4

JP,

Please consider releasing your backend (Bot-Link) you were working on. Even if it's beta it gives developers the opportunity to develop and make unique scenarios, something I strongly believe would asset in attracting players or serverOps back to your game. Personally speaking I would come back to continue to build out some projects I was working on via bot-link.

If you get the opportunity please review your timings for offensive actions (specifically photons) although it may cascade into other functions. The current version makes it impossible to dodge photons while moving (onPlanet or otherwise) which some of the older players (e.g. me) were a fan of.

We had spoke of timings prior (about two/three years ago), the current version removes that aspect from the game (via the change to command stack) and makes any form of photoning Overpowered (e.g. removing the ability to dodge it).

When last we spoke you had mentioned adding default timings to most game actions, so it may be as simple as just working out the correct server settings for those to accurately reflect V1 timings. While micro timings may not be as important to some players I also feel that it added to the game more than it took away and at some point farming turns into galactic conquest.

I'm sure there are many items on the list and many more important to other players. Thanks in advance for any consideration given to my requests. Either-way congrats on the Kid, GL with finding time (even on the road). If you need any bug testers lmk via PM.

:Edit:
Have you considered a Bugzilla or similar? I know your not a huge fan of putting all the bugs out there for everyone to see/exploit. But IMO part of the frustration for people playing is the absence of known bugs and lack of ability to incorporate countermeasures (to said bug) into their play.

I think given Tradewars legacy/niche market; full and current disclosure of player side bugs is something worth exploring. Obviously your call but I believe a sense of community is really what is lacking in this game for a variety of reasons and that while you can't personally inject that sense back in, having some community effort projects (e.g. bug reporting) may assist in contributing towards that affect. You could even implement virtual rewards like badges for the forums for verified new bugs which could effectively "compensate" players for their time.

Just a thought

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:04 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

T0yman wrote:
Kavanagh wrote:
Tried it on

I know it used to happen on Alien & Rogue planets. I don't remember if it happened on player/corp owned planets but I doubt if they act differently. I have seen this many times while playing on Ice-9, and I always accused V'Ger cause it just seemed like something he would do... :lol:

Anyone have data on the time between landing attempts that triggers the regen? I have come across it again recently, and it seems to be quite short, less than 10 days for sure, which is not what I recall from way back when.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next