View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 about this per-post approval policy... 
Civilian

Unread post about this per-post approval policy...
... I think it should be revisited :P

It's frustrating for new forum users. In fact, it's weirdly patronizing and insulting. Isn't this the first logical hub where new players interact with the community? Who puts up with this?

I mean, it's clear that the intention isn't to control for spam. If that were the case, the restriction would logically be lifted after the first moderator-approved post. However, it persists. I have no idea how long, or under what circumstances the account status is approved. As far as I can tell, this isn't documented anywhere.

So not only do I know my account is a literal second class citizen, but I have no idea what it takes to change that. It honestly gives this place a pretty unwelcoming vibe. It's as if the 3 year old sticky inviting users to banhammer themselves doesn't send a strong enough signal :/

Just my 2 cents. I'm not trying to start crap or get banned, and this isn't the end of the world. Still sucks, though :P

Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:59 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: about this per-post approval policy...
methods wrote:

It's frustrating for new forum users. In fact, it's weirdly patronizing and insulting. Isn't this the first logical hub where new players interact with the community? Who puts up with this?

I mean, it's clear that the intention isn't to control for spam. If that were the case, the restriction would logically be lifted after the first moderator-approved post. However, it persists. I have no idea how long, or under what circumstances the account status is approved. As far as I can tell, this isn't documented anywhere.

So not only do I know my account is a literal second class citizen, but I have no idea what it takes to change that. It honestly gives this place a pretty unwelcoming vibe. It's as if the 3 year old sticky inviting users to banhammer themselves doesn't send a strong enough signal :/

Just my 2 cents. I'm not trying to start crap or get banned, and this isn't the end of the world. Still sucks, though :P

The moderators are not paid here, they donate their time. I'm sorry if you don't feel like you are given priority. The reality is that we fit this in with the rest of our lives. I also explained what it is going to take for your account to get verified. If you cannot wait patiently for it, then I suggest you go somewhere else.

Curing ignorance and terminal stupidity since 1999.

Questioning the intellectual abilities of three digit annual salary earners since 2015.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Immortal Op

Quote:
If you cannot wait patiently for it, then I suggest you go somewhere else.

charming... no wonder we have no community..

Teamspeak3: 60.242.57.40:9987
Z-Bot does my dirty work!

Last edited by Archy on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:25 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant J.G.

methods wrote:

Be patient, bro. The administration here does not log in as much as he used to. This forum is nowhere near as active as it was in its heyday. Only a few regulars remain as well as other users like myself popping in once in a great while.

Once the admin logs in, hopefully your restrictions will be lifted.

Welcome to the board :)

Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 am
Veteran Op

LOL

Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:16 am
Gameop

f bitches get paid..

I got nothing else, sorry. This forum sucks, but at the same time it's like the rubberneckers on the highway you can't help but want to stay and stare at someone elses misery.

Oh goodmorning Timberwolf!

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:07 pm
Profile ICQ
Boo! inc.

I do apologize. I try to visit and handle business weekly. Unfortunately I cannot control every bit of my time. Thank you for your patience.

Boo! inc.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:40 am
Chief Warrant Officer

mob wrote:
I do apologize. I try to visit and handle business weekly. Unfortunately I cannot control every bit of my time. Thank you for your patience.

thanks for all your help, mob.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:13 am
Boo! inc.

Absolutely no problem. Welcome back typh00n!

Boo! inc.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:45 pm
1st Sergeant

Having recently worked through this approval policy, I have to say my experience was perfectly acceptable. I had to wait a couple days (over a weekend) for approval, but as was mentioned above the moderators are volunteer only. Even professional organizations are usually cut some slack with 'business hours'.

I think the underlying issue here is expectation management. To be honest I didn't know what was required, or what I could expect in terms of approval and turn-around times. Perhaps it would be prudent to publish the guidelines in a 'Welcome to the forum' informational sticky somewhere?

Off-hand what I'd recommend including are:
1) A short description of what you can/cannot do while on probation.
2) What the longest reasonable time-frame for probation would be (based on moderator availability). I'd suggest a week or two, if that's doable? Or, if it's post count driven, ten or fifteen posts?
3) Approximately how long a post might take for approval. Given the volunteer nature, I'd say 3-5 days is reasonable.

I think the policy is fine, especially since it reflects the reality that we don't have 24/7 moderator presence, but this should be described to the new guys, like me, who are excited to participate.

What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others. -Pericles

You can find my server at 166.62.32.246:23. Look forward to seeing you there!

(Still trying to get the domain name working right, but the IP address is solid!)

Always looking for feedback and improvement! Send me a PM with comments/suggestions, please!

Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]