View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ice 2016 Tournament Discussion 
Sergeant

Unread post Ice 2016 Tournament Discussion
I don't want to hijack this thread so this will be my final post in this thread. I tried to start another thread in the general discussion forum a couple days ago but all my posts have to be "approved" and the moderator doesn't seem to be around anymore.

First, I apologize to anyone I offended. I do respect this game. I've loved it since the 80's and I have major respect and appreciation for those helping to keep it alive by hosting servers and also those who compile/post useful scripts/helpers/information.

I didn't have time to play for the first couple days of the tourney. On Tuesday, I was home sick from work so I had quite a bit of time on my hands. I'll categorize my behavior like this:

1. Poking grids in sectors adjacent to fedspace.
2. Discussing publicly various corp's grid defenses.
3. Discussing publicly various players locations and their planets locations.

I don't think anyone had a problem with #1. #2 and #3 both fall under the same umbrella of publicizing information and that is where I got into trouble. For me, my default response is that in a game like this, information is a commodity and information is power. If I know someone is at SD, why can't I let everyone know? If I know someone is p-dropping with a level 5 class O planet, why can't I let everyone know? Please send me a direct message if you would like to discuss the "why". I'm not trolling here, I would really like to understand. Although my guess is, that there isn't an easily defensible "why" but it's just the "proper" way to play. Which I can learn to accept but still, if there is a "why", I would like to understand.

Thanks,
BK

P.S. For the record, I'm rooting for corp #2. As for the rest of you, may your planets collide and your ships fuse.

Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:24 pm
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Official ICE 2016 Tournament
Traditionally a player not on a corp in a draft game sits at Terra or Dock and waits to join a team. The reason is simple. We have seen spoilers who worked with an existing corp, effectively giving them an extra player.

Not saying that was the case but if you wanted to stay in the game join a corp, even making one of your own, if necessary.

H

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Ice 2016 Tournament Discussion
There are unspoken rules. It is not necessary to say "No Dupes", because everyone knows that rule.

When a corp invades another corp, everyone can see the invasion in the logs, but no one knows where the base was. The invading corp will not disclose this information, because they would be breaking an unspoken rule.

Any exchange of tactical information is taboo. We do not do it in private, and we certainly do not do it in the daily logs.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:30 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Speaking of unspoken rules... Can we please keep Fed PG-13?

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:32 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Veteran Op

Micro wrote:

I would rarely ever turn fed on during a tournament ... to much chatter and none of it was relevant to game play......depending on who was playing.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:17 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Sergeant

Micro,

I'm still not clear on the "why". You mention the "No Dupes" rule and there the why is clear. But if I find a base why can't I let everyone know? Certainly if I wanted to invade it myself I would keep it secret so I could reap the benefits but if I don't have the resources to invade, it seems like publicizing it might be a good strategy in certain situations. Get your 2 enemies fighting and worn down and then I can slay them both.

I also got slapped for letting people know a players location. I scanned and saw pwnie sitting in a sector right outside FedSpace so I announced this on the Fed channel. Again, I'm looking for the "why". Having 2 enemy teams fighting each other and consuming resources sounds like a good idea to me. Why must I keep his location secret?

I'm still guessing there isn't a real definable "why" to the information publicizing rules.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 pm
Commander

T0yman wrote:
Micro wrote:

I would rarely ever turn fed on during a tournament ... to much chatter and none of it was relevant to game play......depending on who was playing.[

I agree for the most part but I dont like being a fedcom censor when in it can be just turned off, but in this case 95% of the problem are 2 people who I did warn.

sk

Playing with integrity is more important than winning
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
2015 Lottery Tournament Winning Team Member
2016 Big Game Draft Tournament Winning Team Member
HHT 2016 Champs: Cloud09
HHT 2021 Champs(Just For Showing Up)
HHT 2022 Champs(For 90mins of Play)

Star Killer's Ice9 TWGS
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS
Email: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com
Discord: Star Killer#0358
Ice 9 V2 TWGS: SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Viper's Pit V1 TWGS: V1.SK-TWGS.COM PORT 2002
Now The Fastest TWGS in the West
https://www.facebook.com/StarKillersTradeWars/
To help offset the server(s) hosting bill donate via PayPal to: starkillerstwgs@yahoo.com

Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

I've been warned :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:04 pm
Ambassador

Agree Fedcomm should not be offensive. Kids used to and hopefully still do play TW.

I'm not playing in this Tournament so my comments about information sharing is general.

This has always been acrimonious in TW, and every half dozen years or so the debate resumes, used often be coupled with megacorping.

The fundamental problem I have with the "no info sharing" unspoken rule is that its completely unenforceable and unpoliceable. Smokesignals? ICQ? Email? Text msg? etc. Not to mention the old favorite - trade down nearest starport by jetting to zero and smoke it for almost no fig cost to get the sector in the log.

No megacorping is also unpoliceable. CBS228 and I posted about this early noughts, I think the posts were unfortunately in the thousands that got junked back then.

A poster to this thread mentioned that it is a sound tactic to set opponents at each other's throats, or words to that effect. Agree 100%. This is the game of Trade WARS.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:30 pm
Immortal Op

players should NOT be held to UNWRITTEN rules in a competition.. if they aren't written down for EVERYBODY to see, then they don't exist.

You cant expect a new player or a returning player to read your mind.

Bearing in mind that different sysops have different ways of running things. and different rules.. even if its about bad language. The rule has to be made obvious. We are ALL over 18 here... actually id say we are all a lot older than that. and I swear in normal conversation without meaning to offend. so if im not allowed to swear in a certain situation, then I need to be told, and possibly gagged ;-)

Teamspeak3: 60.242.57.40:9987
Z-Bot does my dirty work!

Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:33 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Is there an unwritten rule about folks dropping corp and new players coming on board to play? Or is that an unwritten rule as well? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:24 pm
Ambassador

and now there has been a ship buyout. Hopefully the server rules dont allow buyouts.

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Helix wrote:
and now there has been a ship buyout. Hopefully the server rules dont allow buyouts.

From the Official Thread - Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:49 pm
Star Killer wrote:
New rules are being put in place for the rest of this tournament. we seam to have some players who need rules, who can't play like adults. so here they are infect as of now.

1. No duping/sharing PW. (Have not seen any evidence of this but i figure its next to let me put it out there.)

2. no buyouts of any kind. Ships Planets Etc...(Yeah It happened)

3. No Blowing up Star Dock or any fed port. Doing So will result in a ban and I will put it back ASAP.

4. Try and keep it civil on fed comm and PMs. Anything I deem and too offensive or over the line will result in a ban. How long is up to me.(common since should tell you what not to say)

I didn't want to do this in the middle of a game but looks like the are needed. those who don't like them can quit now.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

You know you have a very active successful tournament when you have discussions about rules and players debating what's allowed or not.

Good Job SK! Thanks for hosting, miss you being on our team!

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Sergeant Major

T0yman wrote:
Helix wrote:

From the Official Thread - Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:49 pm
Star Killer wrote:
New rules are being put in place for the rest of this tournament. we seam to have some players who need rules, who can't play like adults. so here they are infect as of now.

1. No duping/sharing PW. (Have not seen any evidence of this but i figure its next to let me put it out there.)

2. no buyouts of any kind. Ships Planets Etc...(Yeah It happened)

3. No Blowing up Star Dock or any fed port. Doing So will result in a ban and I will put it back ASAP.

4. Try and keep it civil on fed comm and PMs. Anything I deem and too offensive or over the line will result in a ban. How long is up to me.(common since should tell you what not to say)

I didn't want to do this in the middle of a game but looks like the are needed. those who don't like them can quit now.

Yes, rules applied retroactively to an active tournament without consulting the teams or allowing them to vote on the rules they are playing under. Be careful what tactics you use, since you may find them suddenly banned.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next