View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 OMGeesh! I loved this game... 
Sergeant

Unread post OMGeesh! I loved this game...
I was a SYSOP for a long time (as a kid)... Grew up with TRS-80 and geek dad then started my own BBS. Eventually grew to 12 lines in the Wichita, Ks area. I had Valley of Pern (VoP) and The Doctor's Office BBS's here and in Denver (where I eventually moved to). My favorite games were LORD and TW. We had tourneys and all sorts of fun... along with all the forums - anyone remember postnuke and phpnuke? I ran through several BBS platforms - favorites were Renegade and MBBS (MajorBBS - when I got into the multi-line gig it just worked better than RBBS with multiple instances running on those old 8088's). Man am I alone? I thought I was in heaven when I got my first 14.4 then 19.2 mods on those old US Robotics modems... 56k was a dream come true... AOL was a pain in the but with their constant marketing - and the various message nets were full of ... stuff...

I was just surfing around for some fun strategy games and for some reason TW popped up - I just had to investigate. I closed everything down when I joined the military on my 18th in 1997. I lost track of almost all my BBS friends... Man - this game really influenced a lot of games and still seems to have a following.

I'm interested in hosting again - but wanting to improve some of the graphics and game play a little - has there been any adaptations over the decades to make a more modern TW version?

Sure - the classic is pretty cool to be able to say it's still there and going - just curious as I would be willing to devote some time...

-GoZippy

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:31 am
Ambassador

Unread post Re: OMGeesh! I loved this game...
I think every space genre game is a spin-off from TW. I understand some players moved on to EveOnline. JP isn't currently working on TWGS, but when R/L and his schedule allows he does have plans for this game yet.

Welcome back! If you want to dip your toe back in, we have a Big Game coming up June 3. Draft game so you don't need to bring a team. Practice game is running on Micro's server now.

twgs.microblaster.net:2002

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Sun May 01, 2016 6:41 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Welcome back to TW! I'm sorry you had to abstain so long. But thank you for serving our country.

I remember The Doctor's Office! I used to download games there, as I recall you had an amazing file section for my 8 yo self to peruse :)

Are you still in Denver? I am in Aurora now. Let me know if you need any help getting back into TW, a lot has changed.

-Val

Sun May 01, 2016 6:58 pm
Sergeant

Thats amazing to see someone remember me! Yeah - I had a lot of... files... all for sharing and fun. Had one heck of a warez section too.. It's where I learned the basics of assembly and was motivated to learn pascal and turbo pascal just enough to look through games and such for fun "mods"...

No - I'm in Wichita KS now... (hometown). I think I may have found my old PC hard drives and "floppy" disks I backed up the old BBS to. I just don't have a working floppy drive anymore. I am jumping onto the github repo and will look over the source for Renegade and see if I can jump into that for a bit to make it at least function properly on modern hardware.

Jumping back to TW might also be fun - I totally get the desire to keep it "original" but as I recall it was always a work in progress... I'd hate to say that I am passing on a game to my kids (10 and 11 now) the same exact game with the same exact bugs and tricks... I can do that with my old NES - which I just plugged in and still works!!! I have the power glove too.. memories... anyhow - I love the classic but was wanting to see if anyone was working on some "upgrades" and if EIS or whomever claims to have ownership of the "brand" and title would consider letting it go open...

I would love to add some more dynamics to the various roles and ship characteristics. Perhaps make it a 3D space environment instead of simple sector maping...

Or... I could just love it for what it already is and have fun with you all... and just keep to myself on my game designs... I would love to see this ported to a mobile application... I recently tried out that game that Arnold has been pushing... perhaps the most dull combat and strategy game I've ever played... At least TW was original (as far as a game mechanic and original in game economics).

Hey - if you're still out in the Denver area - let me know if you remember Big Bob's... that was a big site there for a long time too.

-Zippy

Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

Hi GoZippy, there is a thread about 10 posts down "The STalled state of the game" or something.

It has a bit of info on where the game is at and copyright etc.

Cheers,

Hammer

Sun May 01, 2016 7:55 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

!

-Val

Last edited by CBYNot on Sun May 15, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun May 01, 2016 9:31 pm
Sergeant

Hammer_2 wrote:
I was mostly on yours, The Stumble Inn, and Trouble's Moon back then

OMG more names I have not heard for like 20 years now. Wait a sec... I feel old... Big Boy's maybe it was called... it was mostly just a directory of all the other BBS's in a 4 state region... think it ran on wildcat with a big message relay net but not many files or games.

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll peruse other threads here and read up.

As for the VR TW - you gotta explain more man. That sounds fun.

Mon May 02, 2016 8:39 am
Chief Warrant Officer

GoZippy wrote:
Hammer_2 wrote:
I was mostly on yours, The Stumble Inn, and Trouble's Moon back then

OMG more names I have not heard for like 20 years now. Wait a sec... I feel old... Big Boy's maybe it was called... it was mostly just a directory of all the other BBS's in a 4 state region... think it ran on wildcat with a big message relay net but not many files or games.

Thanks for the tips guys - I'll peruse other threads here and read up.

As for the VR TW - you gotta explain more man. That sounds fun.

Do you have ICQ GoZippy? I would love to discuss with you on instant messenging sometimes. Most TW Players use that platform, ICQ, because we're all old farts like that. No one but Russians, TW players, and spammers use ICQ, these days. lol

If you set it up please PM me your ICQ number here and I'll add you. Thanks.

-Val

Mon May 02, 2016 12:01 pm
Sergeant

Sorry for long delay... Been busy... I'm not using icq much... But you all are welcome to join my discord. It's much better...

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:26 pm
Sergeant

https://discord.gg/wPCjAP6
Just go there, it's free and we can all cuss and discuss... Voice channel and text channels. I want to link the games to discord bots to connect and play....

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]