View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:20 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 TWX Proxy - System Values 
Author Message
Chief Warrant Officer

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 168
Unread post TWX Proxy - System Values
Hi All,

Is there anyway to update system values in TWX Proxy using its scripting reference?

Code:
setVar SECTOR.FIGS.QUANTITY[1723] 7


returns

Code:
Script compilation error: Invalid command parameter type 'SECTOR.FIGS.QUANTITY[1723]'


Idea being is to share information between corp mates.

thanks,

Hammer


Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:59 pm
Profile
Chief Warrant Officer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 111
Location: Virginia
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Well, to tell the bot a sector is figged, you want the setSectorParameter function. Can't do it by manipulating SECTOR directly.

setSectorParameter $sector "FIGSEC" TRUE

In theory you should also update total fig count:

setSectorParameter 2 "FIG_COUNT" ($figCount+1)

I am not sure if you can manipulate SECTOR.FIGS.QUANTITY with an external function to tell it how many figs are in a sector; I've never tried to do that. If you are just looking to tell the bot that a sector is now figged, you can do that as noted.

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 pm
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 168
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Shadow wrote:

setSectorParameter $sector "FIGSEC" TRUE


I'm not sure why I used that one as an example, it was just easy.

I was thinking about other parameters like sector warps, ports etc.

It's over complicating matters but I was thinking of a gridder that could communicate warps, ports etc on subspace.


Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:28 pm
Profile
Chief Warrant Officer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 111
Location: Virginia
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Hammer_2 wrote:
Shadow wrote:

setSectorParameter $sector "FIGSEC" TRUE


I'm not sure why I used that one as an example, it was just easy.

I was thinking about other parameters like sector warps, ports etc.

It's over complicating matters but I was thinking of a gridder that could communicate warps, ports etc on subspace.


I know that was what you were thinking of because I was working on one too and had the same issues. :) Plus that's really the only reason to want to do what you described between teammates.

I'd be interested in the answer as well.

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:34 pm
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 168
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
I think it might be a feature request...

or learn to compile delphi...

or port to C# as discussed in other threads..

Think post HHT I'll look into one of those options at least.


Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 pm
Profile
Chief Warrant Officer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 111
Location: Virginia
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Hammer_2 wrote:
I think it might be a feature request...

or learn to compile delphi...

or port to C# as discussed in other threads..

Think post HHT I'll look into one of those options at least.


It would be SO NICE to have a portable version of proxy that can compile on a real operating system (e.g. "not windows").

Java port would be most interesting to me because I could help; I know C but have never messed with C# and don't really know how different it is (I assume it's an object oriented version?)

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 pm
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 168
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Shadow wrote:

It would be SO NICE to have a portable version of proxy that can compile on a real operating system (e.g. "not windows").

Java port would be most interesting to me because I could help; I know C but have never messed with C# and don't really know how different it is (I assume it's an object oriented version?)


Can't say I know much about C# either to be honest; I did play around with it years ago briefly. I seem to think it was created around the time of .net and was meant to be something that was more powerful than Visual Basic but not as complicated as Visual C++.

Given it utilizes MS .net I'm not sure it'll be any good for a linux port. Main reason I mentioned it is because Micro did when discussing a port. I don't mind Java either, don't mind anything we can work on to be honest!!

Wonder what It'd cost us if we put it to a place like ODesk? I mean this game must have cost me 1000's of dollars in lost work productivity... why not a bit more lol...

Find some clever person who's been there, done that, hopefully from a lower socio-economic country I can leverage his low minimum wage. Win Win for everyone....


Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:50 pm
Profile
Chief Warrant Officer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 111
Location: Virginia
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Hammer_2 wrote:
Can't say I know much about C# either to be honest; I did play around with it years ago briefly. I seem to think it was created around the time of .net and was meant to be something that was more powerful than Visual Basic but not as complicated as Visual C++.

Given it utilizes MS .net I'm not sure it'll be any good for a linux port. Main reason I mentioned it is because Micro did when discussing a port. I don't mind Java either, don't mind anything we can work on to be honest!!

Wonder what It'd cost us if we put it to a place like ODesk? I mean this game must have cost me 1000's of dollars in lost work productivity... why not a bit more lol...

Find some clever person who's been there, done that, hopefully from a lower socio-economic country I can leverage his low minimum wage. Win Win for everyone....


That's actually a great idea.

What we would need is someone who can read delphi, decode the logic, and re-code in a language that was popular after man discovered fire and the wheel. Forget about a port, it's really more of a rewrite. If I could read delphi, it probably wouldn't be hard to write in something modern; there are a limited number of functions that should be easily replicated in any object oriented language, and the code that communicates with the server should be pretty straightforward.

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm
Posts: 1896
Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73170 US
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Microsoft just released .net Core 2.0, which is a portable version of .net across Windows, Linux, and Mac.

and yes c# is object oriented. You can also use VB with .net Core.

_________________
Regards,
Micro

Website: http://www.microblaster.net
TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002
TeamSpeak3: ts.microblaster.net:9987

"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight.”


Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:08 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Chief Warrant Officer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 111
Location: Virginia
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Micro wrote:
Microsoft just released .net Core 2.0, which is a portable version of .net across Windows, Linux, and Mac.

and yes c# is object oriented. You can also use VB with .net Core.


Portable as in "embrace and extend"? Lol.

I'd rather have it written in something that Microsoft has no control over whatsoever.

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 am
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 168
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
I'm language agnostic; in this day and age for an application like this we could pretty much go back to Visual Basic 6 and have no issues (ok accept for maybe being a single threaded application from memory).

However, I'm more interested in it having a decent IDE, being easy to develop for everyone, i.e. accessible if some random wants to try and compile it themselves.

I know years ago when I help with J-TW@T it was java and that was easy enough then. The terminal side was slow as it was built to be also a in browser applet and couldn't keep up with native GUI libraries. However given TW Proxy is just a parser it should be perfectly fine even without the obvious tech improvements in the last 15 years.

Micro: Do you see any disadvantage with getting it ported to Java or any reason you particularly want C#? You are a big contributor to the community and have been around for ever, so it's more likely you'd be involved in this project in 2-3 years than say me. I've go a lot that happens in my life and may take a break for extended periods at any time, so I don't want to dictate an option and then disappear.

Also we should factor in speed of getting a product going, none of us has 1000's of spare hours.

As long as it's easy for the end user still...

Food for thought.


Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:17 pm
Profile
Chief Warrant Officer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:00 am
Posts: 111
Location: Virginia
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Hammer_2 wrote:
I'm language agnostic; in this day and age for an application like this we could pretty much go back to Visual Basic 6 and have no issues (ok accept for maybe being a single threaded application from memory).

However, I'm more interested in it having a decent IDE, being easy to develop for everyone, i.e. accessible if some random wants to try and compile it themselves.


Also interested in what Micro says; I'll share my feedback from 20 years in software companies, the only applications that I've seen run well with true portability on both Unix and Windows were written in Java. And the modern JRE options suck a lot less than they did when garbage collection never worked right and memory leaks were the bane of any Java application.

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 pm
Profile ICQ
Chief Warrant Officer

Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:39 pm
Posts: 168
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
I was just doing some script testing using three TWX Proxy sessions..

and of course it's 3 ports, 3 dbs, and 3 IDENTICAL ICONS on the task bar.

How nice would it be to have a nice little GUI which let you run multiple sessions with easy management of scripts/data of each.


Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 pm
Profile
Ambassador
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:19 pm
Posts: 1896
Location: Oklahoma City, OK 73170 US
Unread post Re: TWX Proxy - System Values
Porting TWXProxy to Java or C# would take a huge time investment, and skill sets I don't have. I am going fix a few bugs, and then I am going back to my helper. It is written in c#, and I have no interest in java.

_________________
Regards,
Micro

Website: http://www.microblaster.net
TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002
TeamSpeak3: ts.microblaster.net:9987

"The goal is to turn data into information, and information into insight.”


Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:58 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.