View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Weapon M Memory 
Boo! inc.

Unread post Weapon M Memory
What are other people finding for memory usage? I have two copies running. one isn't doing anything right now since i'm dead in the game and is connected to twx proxy.

The other is connected directly to another game where i'm not doing much, but trying to see if it will eventually fade away and crash ;)

One copy has 25 threads running, the other 23 threads. i find i seem to max at 2.5% cpu when i'm just trying to pump data into the lexer by holding keys down lol. but i still do find it lags in comparison with zoc on twx.

The one instance running is using 282 MB memory. the other is using 261MB of memory. In comparison with other apps and programs running on my system, its the second highest next to eclipse (379MB) that is running as well. I'm not counting kernal process which is the highest culprit. Next down is a component for safari.

one was launched (the larger one) with jar launcher on osx. the other was launched via java command line.

sad part is that I didn't look to see what it started out when first loaded up. i'll see if it steadily climbs though.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post Re: Weapon M Memory
Barring a memory leak, I'm not surprised. The memory numbers you see are because the JVM allocates a bunch of memory when it starts, usually much more than it actually needs. It is possible to restrict it to, say, 128m, which should be plenty for this app.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

As an aside, I think we'll need to make Weapon M multi-window soon to handle multiple games. As you've discovered, running multiple Java programs can suck :)

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Boo! inc.

I do agree. would have to put game name on the map window or something too. so you know which map belongs to what. as well as on the windows for the program.

I haven't looked too much into how to limit memory or if it would cause problems. but i'll give it a try once i figure out how to do it.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:48 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

To limit memory, add this command line argument: -Xmx128m

Thinking about it more, actually, I'd prefer a tabbed interface like a browser, perhaps with a single panel on the right that aggregates events across all tabs.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Boo! inc.

you would want to be careful though. I tend to like to have multiple games over my screen. so the ability to pull out a tabbed page with its own info pane would be useful.

i'll give that a try limiting memory. it seems funny, having to tune your own virtual machine. but i guess if you find a good setting, you can create a faster way to start the app up with a script file or something.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:10 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Eventually, I think we'll want to use something like WebStart to handle installation and auto-updates. WebStart will also take care of parameters such as this one.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Boo! inc.

so i put that limit in place. and still find it pushing into 250MB. way less memory though than running with jar launcher in osx.

i'm sure there are still things i can do. i was looking at initial heap size settings and min and max settings like the max you gave me.

Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]