View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 weapon m 
Boo! inc.

Unread post weapon m
how is your new version of weapon m going mongoose? just curious. I am still interested in it, however at the time it did not support everything i was looking for in a helper. it was still in development.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:35 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: weapon m
The original version didn't live up to my expectations, either. I didn't work on it for about a year because my day job was taking up all my energy. I've been working on it again lately, though. I've become a much better programmer in the past year, and it's nice to not be working under a self-imposed time crunch.

One of the things I'm doing differently this time is tackling the really hard things first. One of the hardest things to deal with is identifying planets, because their numeric IDs get reused, the IDs aren't always known, and any number of planets can have the same name. TWX doesn't even try; every time you view a sector, it deletes all the known planets and recreates them. I want to heuristically match up planets you see in a sector with planets you know details about, so those details can be retained. Or if a planet isn't where it should be, it'll try to determine if it could have been moved or if it must have been destroyed.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

Keep in mind that players intentionally give planets the same name to confuse your enemies. Even a planet in the same sector with the same name might be a different planet, and loaded with a full load of fuel for the q-cannons.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:20 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Yep. Or after capping a planet, they may blow up a planet with the same name. It's all very fuzzy.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]