View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Combat Script writing, different versions 
Gameop

Unread post Re: Combat Script writing, different versions
Micro wrote:
He may have said that, but he completely re-wrote the mechanism that controls timing. It was clearly his intent to slow things down a bit, even with all delays turned off.

It is hard to know what Gary Martin's intent was. He didn't write MBBS or V3.x versions... It is still too fast for human players (IMO)... I am dead before I even see the message that I'm being attacked... so I never had a chance... unless I had a defensive script running...

He also changing formatting in numerous places (i.e. Ship Catalog)... Intentional or not... almost all scripts were broken in some way or another...

I'm not going to rehash in effort to not have this thread get to far off track. His intent which is clearly illustrated in his statement quoted above, as is his reasoning.

As to the other changes, some cosmetic some not; I don't honestly know why he implemented them and contrary to some belief I'm also not against change. To me fundamentally changing the way the game has been played since the dawn of TWGS seems counter-intuitive with attempting to offer new and exciting options while retaining your existing player-base.

I actually have been and will continue to be excited about some of the changes and bug-fixes. I advocate for the above concept so vigorously because it affects so many aspects of the game in what to me at least is a very negative way.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:22 pm
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Kaus wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion, I can't speak for how MBBS and other boards processed events when compared to what V1 is/was.

When I first returned I did play a HVS MBBS TW2002 game. No timing at all, just like v1. The only "timing" we had was the inherent latency. Today if you play HVS MBBS TW2002 I think it feels even faster than v1 truthfully, maybe because it was designed to run on a 486MB processor? Put it on a modern machine and it flies!

However, TWXProxy was written for TWGS and will not run on HVS MBBS TW2002. Swath still works, everything except turbo mode, there is no abort display in the computer menu.

And OMG.. talk about bugs! Too funny.

BOTE 1998 Champs: Team Fament
HHT 2015 Champs: Cloud09
Big Game 2016 Champs: Draft team
HHT 2018 Champs: Rock Stars
Big Game 2019 Champs: Draft Team

Classic Style Games Here:
telnet://crunchers-twgs.com:2002

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm
Blog with current server info: http://cruncherstw.blogspot.com
Discord: https://discord.gg/4dja5Z8
E-mail: Cruncherstw@gmail.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/CrunchersTW

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:28 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Ensign

CBYNot wrote:
Just one more note, if you find the above unacceptable you should also be aware when choosing whether to run v1 or v2, that IGs are also borked quite nicely in v2. They fail to activate if a trader warps out of sector after a successful pdrop on them. Whether there are other circumstances where IGs are busted I can't say, and whether this was not a bug but a "feature," I also can't say, but it wouldn't surprise me, and it sure does make it easy to steamroll over a grid and invade.

I believe I can confirm that this behavior happens with aliens as well in Version 2. In the games I played on this little backwater BBS back in the day you could make some money capping aliens, either the sysop set it up so that the aliens had a lot of money on them or the ships were worth some money, don't remember which.

Anyway, I remembered this and set up my local testing game with aliens in valuable ships. So I could work on a ship cap script, and also so I could take a break and cap aliens and make some money when I got bored. I'm pretty sure I have seen them leave the sector I was in with them while my ship's IG was running. Can't swear to it right now though, just did a game re-bang and I would have to go run some down and test it out to make sure.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:14 am
Ambassador

Kaus wrote:
I'm not going to rehash in effort to not have this thread get to far off track. His intent which is clearly illustrated in his statement quoted above, as is his reasoning.

As to the other changes, some cosmetic some not; I don't honestly know why he implemented them and contrary to some belief I'm also not against change. To me fundamentally changing the way the game has been played since the dawn of TWGS seems counter-intuitive with attempting to offer new and exciting options while retaining your existing player-base.

I actually have been and will continue to be excited about some of the changes and bug-fixes. I advocate for the above concept so vigorously because it affects so many aspects of the game in what to me at least is a very negative way.

I don't think it was his intent to break scripts, but he doesn't use scripts when he plays locally on his test box. He probably didn't realize that changing "Ttade Wars" to "TradeWars" would break everyone's logon scripts, or that fixing a value that's being displayed incorrectly would break scripts.

I started porting my 1992 dos helper to windows when the anniversary edition was about to be released, but I stopped when I saw how scripting has ruined the game. My requests for features that would intentionally make it harder to script were denied.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:26 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Gameop

Micro wrote:
I don't think it was his intent to break scripts, but he doesn't use scripts when he plays locally on his test box. He probably didn't realize that changing "Ttade Wars" to "TradeWars" would break everyone's logon scripts, or that fixing a value that's being displayed incorrectly would break scripts.

I started porting my 1992 dos helper to windows when the anniversary edition was about to be released, but I stopped when I saw how scripting has ruined the game. My requests for features that would intentionally make it harder to script were denied.

Micro, in interest of conversation and potentially to understand why people are so against scripts as a whole (outside the advantage of being unable to respond).

What were your suggestions that could/would shut down scripts?

*Code = /SideRant
Code:
The way I have always viewed it is it's a paradox, even if JP was able to reduce script usage via a rewrite to say Java for front end enforcement via HTML only interface. The dedicated individuals with the skill-sets that bother people so much would find a way to interface via Python or another language that makes scripting trivial.

I mean not for nothing but the above scenario even exists already via MBBS and other legacy BBS boards web interfaces (some mandated). I'm sure there are people who have figured out a way to AutoIT or otherwise to reduce the monotony of the more basic things in this game.

If we could "throttle" scripts to oblivion would that drive player-base away who don't want to ppt by hand?

Wasn't that the purpose of the original macros and helpers?
Code:
Resource related game-play like ZTM, Trading, Planetary maintenance, Furbing and Colonizing all benefited from advancements in scripting from macros, which as I'm sure you remember often blew yourself up if you spammed them to fast

I hope you won't take this as me defending or trying to otherwise provoke a argument, I'm genuinely curious if there is a method that could stop scripts and otherwise make the playing field even against those who would prefer to do it mostly by hand?

Code:
To a lessor extent bot-link really would help the above scenarios greatly as you could implement pacing restrictions, truces and other game restrictions with ease. (still have to script it  :roll: )

I sincerely believe a large majority of the players who visit this board and are vocal against the people who are upset about some of the mechanical timing changes are confusing timing (latency/ability to respond) with timing (mechanical/game/server). I'm not against finding a way to impose latency based timing restrictions (as a option) to allow sysops to even the player field, in fact many options existed prior to V2.

Code:
SG always said "vote with your feet" and players did exactly that when they didn't play the ship delay, planetary delay, warp delay games. Players also generally didn't play/like very low-turn games (250 moves) which tend to favor non-scripters as most scripts except for the very best are VERY inefficient or could be tricked into wasting the opponents turns via enter/retreat etc...

Generally if it wasn't a 3day truce, unlimited hosted at Ultimate we had a hard time finding more than 4 active players in a game. Active defined as players who played longer than 24 hours, corped or otherwise contributed towards filling out a game

"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Last edited by Kaus on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:29 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Cruncher wrote:
Kaus wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion, I can't speak for how MBBS and other boards processed events when compared to what V1 is/was.

When I first returned I did play a HVS MBBS TW2002 game. No timing at all, just like v1. The only "timing" we had was the inherent latency. Today if you play HVS MBBS TW2002 I think it feels even faster than v1 truthfully, maybe because it was designed to run on a 486MB processor? Put it on a modern machine and it flies!

However, TWXProxy was written for TWGS and will not run on HVS MBBS TW2002. Swath still works, everything except turbo mode, there is no abort display in the computer menu.

And OMG.. talk about bugs! Too funny.

Twx will still run , you will just need to build a BBS login script to get into a game.
I have done this before and I think I still have it.
I cant use it because the SysOp was adamant about scripts that can kill him and his players , so he banned me after trying to kick me from server only to have my script pilot me through the BBS front end to get me into the game every time.
He did not like that either.

So I know it can be done. Twx does a great job if written well.

Vid

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Cruncher wrote:
I think Micro knew what he was doing when he choose that timing for the BIG game he hosted. That threw a "monkey wrench" in everyone's scripts. You have to think fast and roll with the settings. - OR - choose to play games with settings that appeal to you.

Cruncher, hate to admit it but you got me thinking the other day. So as I'm back for a short while in scripting capacity I fired up the server and really took a detailed look at V2 options. As a sysop yourself, have you or potentially Micro played around with the timing editor in regards to photon launch and Constant (250ms) ship movement?

I'm curious if sysops can emulate a slower version of V1 photon mechanics using those two settings.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:34 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Kaus wrote:
Micro, in interest of conversation and potentially to understand why people are so against scripts as a whole (outside the advantage of being unable to respond).

What were your suggestions that could/would shut down scripts?

I'm not exactly against scripting. No one wants to go out trading, stealing or colonizing by hand, but you have to draw the line somewhere. The real problem is that a new or returning player doesn't have a chance in hell of staying alive, much less winning.

There are a lot of things you could do to make scripting harder:

scrambling text with ANSI movement codes
random and animated prompts
disable command bursts
progressive delays

All of these could be circumvented though, so the only real solution would be a dedicated client with an anti-cheating package.

Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:23 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Kaus wrote:
Cruncher wrote:
I think Micro knew what he was doing when he choose that timing for the BIG game he hosted. That threw a "monkey wrench" in everyone's scripts. You have to think fast and roll with the settings. - OR - choose to play games with settings that appeal to you.

Cruncher, hate to admit it but you got me thinking the other day. So as I'm back for a short while in scripting capacity I fired up the server and really took a detailed look at V2 options. As a sysop yourself, have you or potentially Micro played around with the timing editor in regards to photon launch and Constant (250ms) ship movement?

I'm curious if sysops can emulate a slower version of V1 photon mechanics using those two settings.

Not all of my games are "throttled-down", only the public classic games. In those I have photons and planets on 2s delay. Some very low turn games I have set to emulate a 56k modem. These are for the returning players who just want to relive the game how it was in the 90's. Some still play 100% manually, because they can and they enjoy it.

My Games P & T are without delays, except a constant ship delay of 250ms and latency of 150. To me, that "feels" very much like v1. Micro pushes it a bit faster, I think he runs latency at 75 and ships at 150ms. You need to be careful, events can run out of sequence. Too fast and we have data corruption.

Then I have some games just for my team to practice in that aren't in the main menu.

Web page from 1990's: https://web.archive.org/web/20170103155645/http://tradewars.fament.com/Cruncher/tradewar.htm

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:29 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Chief Warrant Officer

Quote:

The irony of these two statements being in the same sentence amuses me.

-Val

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:14 pm
Commander

Micro wrote:
All of these could be circumvented though, so the only real solution would be a dedicated client with an anti-cheating package.

Even that wouldn't help. There is absolutely no way to authenticate a client as being the "official" one. The closest you could ever come would be a proprietary client that encrypts all communication, installed on custom hardware with anti-tamper seals and a self-destruct mechanism. And somebody would eventually figure out how to circumvent the physical security and reverse-engineer the software.

I've never felt that scripting has ruined TradeWars. To me, scripting is the game. Viewed as a contest between programmers, TradeWars is a pretty unique game. I think this is precisely what sustains it. I'd love to see a sequel with clearly-defined order of events, timings, and other "rules" designed with the inevitability of scripting in mind.

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
Ambassador

CBYNot wrote:
Quote:

The irony of these two statements being in the same sentence amuses me.

It is a conundrum that I struggle with.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:54 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Mongoose wrote:

I've never felt that scripting has ruined TradeWars. To me, scripting is the game. Viewed as a contest between programmers, TradeWars is a pretty unique game. I think this is precisely what sustains it. I'd love to see a sequel with clearly-defined order of events, timings, and other "rules" designed with the inevitability of scripting in mind.

It is now, but not in the beginning. It still amazes me, even more so now that TWXProxy was created by a high school student.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2