View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 TWX Proxy 2.06.03a - Alpha Release 
Ambassador

Unread post TWX Proxy 2.06.03a - Alpha Release
This is just a bug fix release. No new features.

• Initial connect fails when launching Mombot after a manual disconnect.
• Same database is loaded on second launch.
• Multiple instances of the the same script conflicts.
• Sometimes a script will leave TWXP in Deaf Mode.
• Mombot crashes when trying to view the stats screen.
• Memory leak associated with new TrayIcon.
• Logon script runs even if unchecked in the config.
• Sector index out of bounds, on several commands.
• Logging permanently disabled on write error.

That is all the bugs I am aware of. If you find any new ones, Please report them here:
https://github.com/MicroBlaster/TWXProxy/issues

This is not a full release, you need 2.05.73 from here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34737

Attachments:
TWXP20603a.zip [492.29 KiB]
Downloaded 829 times

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:00 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post Re: TWX Proxy 2.06.03a - Alpha Release
Nice stuff!

Great to see someone putting the time in on this,

Cheers Micro

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:15 pm
Commander

Hi there.

Just wondering why there's a DLL in the Zip file:
Code:
TWXP.DLL
TWXP.EXE

..am I missing something?

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ambassador

The Library (DLL) is just a collection of icons. You can use any icon file, dll, exe as the icon source. By default it will pull up twxp.dll though.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Hi Micro,

This version has worked well for myself and the corpy I know who also uses it.

The only time I had a crash or something odd was the following:

I run TWX on my VM, I telnet from home to the VM and the VM telnets to the server.

I had a brown out (When power goes off briefly) and my modem reset.

I came back, couldn't connect to my vm, so logged in and TWX proxy had shut.

So I don't know if having a external connection cancel like that cause some issue. Taking note I disconnect/reconnect 10 times a day using SWATH.. so it can't be that simple.

So I don't know what to make of it and I'd probably ignore it for now :)

Perhaps when I have time I'll pull the plug on the modem however i don't see how that's different to pressing disconnect in SWATH.

Thanks,

Hamish

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:07 am
Lieutenant J.G.

I also had an idea:

Imagine if a person ran a website that scraped all the game details from all the TWGS's.

Then imagine if TWX could download this info in a XML file and have a "quick launch create database" option.. i.e. I want to join SK's server, Game B, and it imports port number, address, warps etc.

And THEN imagine the person who did the programming on TWX happen to also be the person who maintained such a website?? wow what a coincidence and a match made in heaven :)

If we could somehow have a server list in TW proxy and a quick way to join, it might promote a few more people to at least look into other games... or perhaps I'm the only one THIS LAZY? :)

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 am
Ambassador

Hammer_2 wrote:
Perhaps when I have time I'll pull the plug on the modem however i don't see how that's different to pressing disconnect in SWATH.
It is actually quite different. If you press disconnect is swath it performs a clean disconnect. In other words, it tells the server it is going to disconnect and the server flushes buffers, etc... If you pull the plug, or otherwise loose connectivity you get a dirty disconnect, and there is lots of trash in the buffers and other problems...

That really would be a coincidence if some guy than ran the website you described also worked on TWX Proxy, but unfortunately he only does bug fixes on TWX Proxy. Maybe he could write a launcher for the website that could launch TWX Proxy and/or Swath... A full directory is part of FirstMate if I ever have time to work on it.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:13 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant J.G.

Micro wrote:
It is actually quite different. If you press disconnect is swath it performs a clean disconnect. In other words, it tells the server it is going to disconnect and the server flushes buffers, etc... If you pull the plug, or otherwise loose connectivity you get a dirty disconnect, and there is lots of trash in the buffers and other problems...

Your right, it is very different, because I lost internet again and it killed my bot (Again).

So the VM to Server connection was ok, but the Home computer to VM is what died. I'm connecting from the external connection IP.

Once I disconnect TWX threw an error which I didn't record and died. I'll do it again soon no doubt and take a screenshot.

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:58 pm
1st Sergeant

I'm playing catch up here trying to figure out what version of TWX Proxy to be using.

Question 1 - your 2.06.03a version - has two files, a .dll and twxp.exe -- why did you choose to name your file differently from the standard "twxproxy.exe"?

Question 2- your TWXP.exe has a file property listing it as version 2.6.1.1 TWXP -- Why wouldn't you have listed it as 2.06.03a?

Question 3 - 'help - about' still lists Xide 2002 version information (no actual version number listed) - Why are the various dev's working on forks and updates to this NOT updating the 'about' or the 'readme' or anything to list what exact revision they are releasing? I'm confused with so many versions out here.

Does my narrative below seem accurate; am I missing anything? It appears that your 2.06.03a is the newest available version - but with the list of bugs you posted I admit I'm hesitant.

TWX Proxy About:

TWXProxy is a TradeWars 2002 (TW2002) helper written in Borland Delphi 5.
Originally written by Remco Mulder, TWXProxy has been passed on to various developers over the years. Because it is written in an obsolete version of Pascal, it can only be compiled under Windows XP using Turbo Delphi 2006 Explorer.
Turbo Delphi 2006 Explorer is no longer available from http://www.turboexplorer.com/delphi, and there is no way to request a license file.
Boreland RAD Studio 10.2 - Delphi Starter edition is currently available for free / limited use, but can not be used to compile the Boreland Delphi 5 code. https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/
Development / Porting to C# is the ideal solution with SWATH integration an ideal bonus; but the labor is extreme, past attempts to convert have failed and a full rewrite is required.

Other Versions:
TWX Proxy 2.06.03a - Alpha Release October 2018- filename is different, twxp.ext and filename version is 2.6.1.1- copy the .exe and .dll into the folder for version 2.05.73 to gain the additional features of 2.06.

TWXProxy 2.06 by MicroBlaster Sept 2017 https://github.com/MicroBlaster/TWXProxy (*Only source code here; no full release) Website: http://www.microblaster.net TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002 TeamSpeak3: ts.microblaster.net:9987

TWXProxy 2.05.73 The latest version of TWXProxy released by Elder Prophit on Nov 2015 viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34737

TWXProxy 2.04 Windows XP Version by Elder Prophit in 2007.

TWXProxy BBS A server-side proxy for TWGS based on TWXProxy 2.04.

TWXProxy PRO (v2.11) This abandoned fork of TWXProxy was maintained by The TWX Proxy Group. Last update May 2005

TWXProxy 2.03 Last version by the original author Remco Mulder around 2003. Email was xide@clan.co.nz his website was http://twxproxy.com

Full narrative located here (I'm making a full tutorial to help people like me who have forgotten how to do this after not playing for so many years)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r1J ... sp=sharing

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:47 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

Draconia, Micro isn't the first, second or third author of this, or even a Author.

he's just a dude that learnt how to use a dinosaur language to make a few small improvements because no one else would. (Thanks Micro!)

It's the latest thing to be release and the most stable.

It's the one to use in my opinion.

With active community of about 30, not to much effort goes into maintaining this stuff....

Best course of action is to meet people in game and team up.

We all tend to use different versions of a popular script called mombot.. we all have our different takes on the game. So we all modify the script(s) which means they start not working together...

Then people come and go, and come back again.

It's all a big mess.

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:18 pm
1st Sergeant

thx. I've spent about 4 hours sorting through the huge 1.2+gb Helix pack; in it I found so many copies of the same things.... I've merged them all together to get a better feel for (just how many) versions of twx proxy/ mombot / various database files and things are floating around...

Seems the biggest changes are from TWGS v1 to 2 - not sure how many bad scripts there are that are incompatible from one to the other... but I've been lucky enough to find every one of them so far lmao.

the file offered here - did not originally work for me... I installed 2.05.73 - and then copied these files over into that folder; had lots of errors, can't create database etc...

Made another folder and re started from scratch - it seems to be working now... of course i got myself killed trying things; script failed and boom I was podded and dead before i knew what happened.. I think I'll experiment on one of those sandbox testing games instead of the one I'd actually like to win... lol

I'm just trying to figure out why he named this as TWXP.exe / with TWXP.dll -- are we supposed to delete the original EXE and use this? I suppose that is his concept...

Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:50 am
Ambassador

draconia wrote:
I'm just trying to figure out why he named this as TWXP.exe / with TWXP.dll -- are we supposed to delete the original EXE and use this? I suppose that is his concept...

Answer 1 - It really isn't that confusing. I changed the name so that I could have both versions in the same directory. I run the new one when I am playing, and I switch back to the old one when testing a bug. I can then determine if the bug is a problem with my compile of TWX or a problem with the script. Neither version can see databases created by the other, because I added new fields to the database making them incompatable.

Answer 2 - Because I forgot to update the property that no one EVER reads. Why are you looking at the file property?

Answer 3 - Because Xide is the original author, and no one EVER looks at the help about dialog. Why are you looking at the about dialog?

draconia wrote:
Does my narrative below seem accurate;

YOUR narrative appears to be an exact copy of what I posted on GitHub. You are of coarse free to quote it, but do NOT call it "my narrative", when you clearly did not write it. It is a list of links, and as far as I know, none of the links are broken at this time.

Version 2.06.03a is extremely stable at this point. There are no known bugs of any significance in this version that have been reported to me, and it is being used by most members of the current tournament.

If you have any additional stupid questions, maybe you should keep them to yourself. I waited 2 days before posting this reply, and reading your original post still raises my blood pressure.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
1st Sergeant

Thanks for the answers. I'm just trying to understand 10+ years of software development in the course of a couple days... I've got about 10 hours invested in reading all the various files and documents I've collected...

When I organize my local storage I always compare file versions, about versions, I always read the full TOS when installing things; especially when it is not clear to me which version is the newest... With TWX proxy you have to admit - if you look at it with fresh eyes as a day one person it is very challenging to understand which is the latest version when there are so many versions that do not have accurate info in the help files, about me or file versions...

I have higher version numbers that are much older programs...

Second point --

"My narrative below" Forgive me but it is not my intention to upset you. My google doc is 39 pages long and yes I quoted some information from you on one page. This was originally my locally stored personal tutorial in word 2003 from back in 2004 when I last tried to play this game... I converted it into a google doc to try and help myself and (one other) player I recently met.

I'm sharing it here in a couple posts to get advice and feedback from the masters such as yourself who can correct me if I'm wrong on something.

*There is no tutorial on how to set all this stuff up anywhere that I was able to find so I attempted to make one. Maybe I'll even get a youtube video setup guide... doesnt appear that anyone has ever made one of those either.

I have recently sorted the Helix pack which has over 15 different websites backed up with tons of tutorials for me to pour through now... though none of them lay things out with images quite like I am setting up in my google doc... It is my intention to consolidate enough of a tutorial into one doc that can guide a day one player who knows nothing about anything into someone who can get into this game...

I still do not have a functioning twx proxy as the versions I have been trying seem prone to corruption either from my experimentation or lack of knowledge... so I still can't touch MoMbot or twx proxy in any functional way... I have never considered myself a noob when it comes to this type of stuff but I'm really struggling here.

*Edit
I gave you direct credit in the 'other versions' section of my document; though it already included your name and links to your work, website and links...

I'll make a new topic to ask questions about TWX proxy so I do not hijack your topic on the alpha release.

*Edit 2

Everything seems to be working properly now; I'll have to be more careful with how I use this in the future. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35594&p=251654#p251654

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]