View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WANTED: A place not to die 
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
Is there anywhere I can go just to play and not die. I cant learn anything by dieing as soon as I walk into the room. Everywhere I turn it either kill em!. I just wanna have fun.

Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
Gameop

Unread post 
sigh, butterfly, i've offered to help u numerous occasions. all u need to do is icq me. im currently setting up a team of new people to play in a game just to learn. i can teach you, i can point you towards like minded people, i can find you low key games. all you need to do is ICQ. 207-107-486. if you hate me or despise me or whatever, fine, i can point you to someone else who is willing to teach and help out.

Slim

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:39 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Lieutenant

Unread post 
What you can do is get your own server and play on it to learn the game.Its like 80 dollars I think.I am not positive.But you can download games from different places and practice all you want.Or,find a sysop who is a great guy (or gal) and see if they can bang you a private game.
Besides these ideas,hope you find a server no one knows about and cross your fingers.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:33 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Chief Warrant Officer

Unread post 
Actually wild he does not even have to buy the Gold. He could buy the non-gold edition and set up alot of ferrengi in it. Its cheaper but a little harder to use.

l DEMON

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:07 pm
Profile YIM
Lieutenant

Unread post 
Demon is right.I forgot about that.
Gold you get more stuff,but you could use non-gold and be ok to practice on.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:50 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Unread post 
yes... im sure playing by HER(?)self will make her a GREAT player. (sigh) how many people do you know who played games alone by themselves and became competitive? thats right, no one. also, with butterfly in the name i can only assume female. so butterfly if you ARE a dude, my bad. :) heh. i'll still help :P

Slim

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by Slim Shady

yes... im sure playing by HER(?)self will make her a GREAT player. (sigh) how many people do you know who played games alone by themselves and became competitive? thats right, no one.
Slim

Slim, it sounds like s/he is gettin only to games that are blockaded, have planet droppers, and other such nasties. I'll admit that if I started and was only able to play in fedspace 'cause i could not get anywhere else i'd sulk.

rather than set up ones own game, s/he needs to go look for more servers, there are some with very old games, less than 5 players(none agressive) and no problems trading.

'nother neat thing about some of them old games, is that there is a lot of drop offs, i've just invaded a L3 planet on a game, the player dropped out before it hit level 3 cannon set to 0. and it was old (planet quantity full)

so there are some games that one could play by oneself (or 2 other players) and actually get to play the game a bit before getting podded

Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Lieutenant

Unread post 
The best way to learn this game is to team up with someone who knows how to play.
I’d take Slim up on his offer. He’s an all right player. :P

Speed Demon DESTROYED Farscape's *** Escape Pod ***!
Speed Demon launched a Photon Missile somewhere!

Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:52 pm
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant

Unread post 
Well slim
not that I am that good or anything, but when I started I played on a server alone learning things.I used to burn up 1000 turns getting in a game and going to dock.Additionaly, it helps familiarize you with your scripts and how to make them work for you.
Also,what I meant was butterfly could have a team play there and all have their own truce and not bother each other and learn what to do.Have to learn to crawl before you run.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:20 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Private 1st Class

Unread post 
UltimateTW is the perfect place for you. It has many laid-back players, stardocks past the second or third day, and games with players that want nothing more than to give you credits. http://www.ultimatetw.com 23. Contrary to many others opinions it also has unlimited turn games that will last a while so you can enjoy the things you built. Can anyone help me clarify what fun a builder game is, because I just don't get how thats fun with no risk involved.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
what do parents do to their kids when they are crawling?
they grab their hands, lift them up and support them and walk them along until they can walk on their own 2 feet.

in games nowa days sure, these "newbs" (no offense intended) could find a backway dead game and play for 6 months by themselves, but what happens when they join a game on vader's server or rat's server or bone's server? they get smashed as though they have never played before in their life, and often these newb's will come here and accuse people of cheating etc... (read old forums, it happens)
IMO newbs need to play competitive games, and get rocked by a good team. THEN int he next bang, corp UP with the people who rocked you and keep your eyes and ears open. i say this because that is what i did.
i played back in the early 90's. then in the late 90's i discovered it was still alive and i checked out some backwater games, never staying too long, coming back every now and again, but always pretty much sucking (heh). then in 02 i ran across alienbase and ran face first into some awesome players. i got utterly whooped but i asked questions and got help from the good players. then i corped with them and learned even more. i came back about 7 months ago and relearned everything and more. i pretty much started where any newb started 7 months ago. i'd like to think i've come rather far in 7 months. am i just some amazing person who learns faster than everyone else? no, i just opened my eyes, opened my ears, and took every opportunity to ask questions. never never never be afraid to ask a question no matter how stupid you think you will sound. heh, ask Kemper3, when i came back i probably asked that guy so many questions he probably thought i was an idiot. but, since i listened, i'd say im up to about 1/3 of K3's knowledge (heh, that guy knows a Darn lot!)
anywho, enough of my book.

Slim

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:13 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gunnery Sergeant

Unread post 
I dont have icq, I am a girl, Ie. the avatar. Dont need to fight over me. Just give me a url to go to<slim>. [:o)][:D] and im not a newbie. My place went down. Im one month old :P I learn fast. Just need to be pointed were. I thrive red.

and my server down at the moment so im sad. Darn TEA COME BACK!
http://thestardock.com:8808/twgssearch/capture.php?letter=d&servername=T.E.A.

Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:51 pm
Profile YIM
1st Sergeant

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by Ancient_Butterfly

I dont have icq, I am a girl, Ie. the avatar. Dont need to fight over me. Just give me a url to go to<slim>. [:o)][:D] and im not a newbie. My place went down. Im one month old :P I learn fast. Just need to be pointed were. I thrive red.

and my server down at the moment so im sad. Darn TEA COME BACK!
http://thestardock.com:8808/twgssearch/capture.php?letter=d&servername=T.E.A.

sent you an email, dont want to broadcast them games as I don't need pro's strolling in and taking over

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:10 pm
Profile WWW
Gameop

Unread post 
ROFL.

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:40 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

Unread post 
or jerk like slim who wouldnt give a solo player the time of day

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:51 pm