View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Possible 57 problem 
Ensign

Unread post 
If you are in the ship and have IG on, it will be on even if you log off. You do not have to be online. And you don't have to kill sector figs first if you can photon in. Please note that a photon will shut off a players IG, so you could go in and, assuming no planetary IG, attack them and retreat.

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:55 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by Supreme Galactic Overlord

I've been reading this string with much interest. I think it rather odd that two well known players have both had "bad luck" at this same system with odd things going on, and virtually no explanation except "maybe it was a dat corruption." I think Cruncher's concerns bear looking into. I beta tested Gold at my site (the old Twars.com) as well as the server itself. I've seen some odd things and some of them have never been looked into, and this is one of them! My question, is the eis team going to even consider the possibility that something underhanded went on, or are they going to simply dismiss it in the same fashion you have here? I think that's a mistake if they do.

What lag? Were you reading the same posts I was? The guy was booted right out of the game, not once but five times, and each time he tried to re-enter he could do nothing except type a quick sentence on fed comm! What sticks out the most is that this "error" occurred at the exact time majorpayne was making an extremely risky move into a sector occupied by cruncher and defended to the hilt with fighters. This is a fact that everyone seems to miss completely. The guy should have died, plain and simple, instead, his quarry was booted from the game over and over again! C'mon people!

I didn't even have to think about this one when Cruncher asked me about it. I told him exactly how and when this change was made, and yes it was a change, and no you are not correct, it did not act right. Long ago, an Interdictor Cruiser worked exactly like a planet. You enter a sector where it is active and you are trapped, no matter how many fighters are there! If you don't believe me, I'm sure there are still older versions of twars out there, load one up and check it out! Where this change came into effect was when a bug was fixed! It used to be you could tow a ship or player into a defended sector and if you either got podded or dropped carrier the item or person in tow would remain in the sector, slipping past all defenses. There were several other related bugs to this problem. JP fixed this by making it so that you aren't actually registered as in the sector until you either survive the defenses or overcome them. This was a great fix for what he was trying to solve, but it created a few problems. For instance, at first, if there were mines or debris in the sector you just left, when you retreated, you'd get hit by them again, so the game was saying, "yes you left the last sector but you never entered a new sector", there were several other problems I don't remember. This current issue (the ship IC won't hold if they retreat) is one of those problems and it was shrugged off as incidental, but in my estimation it is not, because a person is free to enter the sector attack defenses at will, and you can be sitting right there in your IC and be unable to lock them with your IC! That's just silly. The MINUTE they hit the A button on your defenses and launch an attack, by god, they are IN your sector and you should be able to lock them with your IC, that's just common sense. Anyone who says otherwise is simply just not thinking straight in my opinion.

I love what the eis team has done with the game over the years, I can see how they can feel that an IC not holding when there are defensive fighters in the sector is a small problem, however, it really is not, especially in an unlimited turn game, where you are sitting there waiting for your planets to develop, and you can't even count on an IC to help you defend your sector against people who go in there and run endless scripts, load up on fighters, then fly around attacking everything in sight with macros and scripts! It's a shame that sysops have been forced to implement "no attack" rules for so many days in unlimited turn games! Why? Because of problems like this one. If an IC held a player, and they couldn't just keep retreating and reloading, you'd have a better chance defending a sector in the earlier stages.

How hard would it be to correct? It can't be that hard, make it so that if the person chooses to attack the fighters in the sector, he's fair game for the interdictor on your ship! I can buy the idea that a guy who accidentally wanders into a defended sector and then retreats should be allowed to leave, but, man the guy was attacking the fighters there THEN retreating! Pay attention will ya :)

1) EIS investigates any properly documented bug reports. People coming and doing the "so and so is cheating" posts in a support forum is NOT a proper bug documentation.

2) Both Gypsy and Myself have warned in the very post that this sort of thing is innapropriate. If you want to discuss a bug, fine. If you want to start accusing someone of using one, this isn't the place.

3) Considering 1 and 2, you've earned yourself a few days off. I will not have someone blatantly disregard the guidelines for these forums

4) This topic has gone far enough, it is now locked. If people want to discuss the various facets further, make sure you do so in the proper forums.

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:40 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3