View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Firefox 
Private

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by Harley Nuss (teamEIS)

quote:
And what, exactly, would be so wrong with a wider range of compatibility? [?]

The time involved in making changes to it. None of us involved in making the forums run actually get paid for it. Also, this isn't an issue of compatability. In both Firefox and IE every feature of the forums works. I personally use firefox exclusively on here. It's only a matter of it displaying slightly differently between the two browsers.

Actually, Harley, the only reason I can think of that would cause you not to see the display problem is because you have Javascript disabled. If you enable Javascript (as most people do, since it is required for *so* many sites), there is a huge gaping black space that pushes the forum text off the bottom of most reasonably-sized browsers, forcing you to scroll down every time you choose a new page or topic. It's very disconcerting and annoying.

Cheers.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:12 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Warrant Officer

Unread post 

quote:
And what, exactly, would be so wrong with a wider range of compatibility? [?]

The time involved in making changes to it.

You're answering 'why it hasn't been done', not what's inherently wrong with wider compatibility. My question wasn't literal or pertaining directly to this forum, I was just asking what people had against wider compatibility in general. Sorry about the confusion.

quote:
None of us involved in making the forums run actually get paid for it.

I don't want to step on any toes and cross the line between a post and a flame, but that has to be one of the most tired, over-used cop outs that there is. I can't count how many times I've seen people use it. It begs the question of whether you believe that somewhere out there, forum owners/moderators exist who actually do get paid. I doubt there are very many, if any exist at all. I do however believe that there are quite a few that would, in the face of multiple and repeated requests, implement an update to make their forum more compatible with an ever-growing number of Firefox users. I would think that goes doubly when one of the moderators uses Firefox, but maybe that's just me. [B)]

My $.02

Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:09 am
Commander

Unread post 
bgrubin - I see the black gap. It doesn't affect browing of the website, since most threads you have to scroll down anyway to see what's been said. I view it as a minor inconvenience, not a major issue.

gatewaysysop - You split apart an interconnected point. "There is time involved and we're not being paid for our time." That means, if something works, there isn't any overwhelming reason to change it. Additionally, I would consider incompatibility being a lack of function, not a display difference.

Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 am
Profile ICQ
Gameop

Unread post 
also, im not sure if anyone has noticed, but has anyone seen anyone EIS other than harley do or say anything on these forums for MONTHS? i haven't. i *believe* the actual forum is run by or the responsibilty of gypsy (rick) who has been awol. k3's job is to answer questions. so i *think* if you have a problem with the forum, you really should be spamming rick's email.
1 man alone can't do everything, but harley's support staff is non-existant as far as i can tell.
i say good job Nuss, keep up the good work.

Slim

--==[The Outfit]==--

Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Warrant Officer

Unread post 

bgrubin - I see the black gap. It doesn't affect browing of the website, since most threads you have to scroll down anyway to see what's been said. I view it as a minor inconvenience, not a major issue.

Apparently several others view it as a bit more than a minor inconvenience, but that's semantics and not worth getting back into. To each his own.

quote:
gatewaysysop - You split apart an interconnected point. "There is time involved and we're not being paid for our time." That means, if something works, there isn't any overwhelming reason to change it. Additionally, I would consider incompatibility being a lack of function, not a display difference.

Egads. I didn't split apart anything. I know exactly what you're saying. I think you're the one that missed what I was trying to say. Let me rephrase: There is time involved for anyone moderating/owning a forum like this, and probably none of them get paid for it either.

You're also twisting things around by saying that if something works there's no reason to change it. The entire point of this thread was that it worked improperly, not that it didn't work at all. Maybe we should be arguing that it's not "fully" compatible with Firefox? Like said above, just semantics.

Either way, your mind seems to already be made up and nobody else from EIS has said anything (I realize it's not solely your responsibility) so I'm washing my hands of the matter.

Back to RL...

Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:18 pm
Commander

Unread post 
quote:Originally posted by gatewaysysop

Let me rephrase: There is time involved for anyone moderating/owning a forum like this, and probably none of them get paid for it either.

I always figured that the "official support staff" for software companies got paid. Either way, it isn't really that big of a deal for me. I became the "techical support lead" because I was here helping people, not the other way around. But anyway, I digress. If I had the ability to change how it displayed in firefox, I would. As it is though, I don't see that it's that big of a deal.

Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:31 am
Profile ICQ
Warrant Officer

Unread post 

quote:Originally posted by gatewaysysop

Let me rephrase: There is time involved for anyone moderating/owning a forum like this, and probably none of them get paid for it either.

I always figured that the "official support staff" for software companies got paid.

As I said I already washed my hands of the argument in this thread so I'm not going to touch that. Regardless, I can't let stand such twisting of my words. Notice in my post I make absolutely no reference to your or anyone else's function as support staff. I was speaking only, and quite clearly I thought, about "moderating/owning" a forum and how hardly anyone gets paid for that.

I'm not quite sure why people so often feel the need to twist the words of others like this, heck I don't even know if it was intentional (I would like to believe it was not), but it still bugs me. I obviously wasn't trying to make the ridiculous argument that software companies' support staffers went largely unpaid. I don't even know what in my post would have given that idea.

Further, I want to make it absolutely clear that I wasn't at all saying you don't deserve to get paid for your work as a support staffer for EIS. Quite the contrary. I personally think that considering the price of a full TW / TWGS / Gold reg and the work you do, you should definitely be entitled to a piece of the pie.

Hopefully this clears things up, but if not at least I tried. [;)]

Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:28 am
Ensign

Unread post 
If any of you would bother reading some topics here. You'd know that I've already explained what the problem is. And I also explained how Rick can fix it.

Goto the following Toic:
http://www.eisonline.com/TWForum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18043

If Rick truly wishes to fix the problem. It should not take him more than 3 mins to do so.

1 minute to d/l.
1 minute to extract.
1 minute to u/l to website.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:58 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2