View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Smack Talk Forum 
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Actually this is not a grievance at all.  I'm just stating a few facts about this forum.  For one, I've heard several people complaining about the smack talk forum.  If we were to do away with the smack talk forum, then you would have smack talk in all forums and not just one.  With the smack talk forum available, at least the person that doesn't want to read smack threads can avoid those posts.  There's no way to stop smack talk without banning members and deleting posts.  Mark my words, when that happens, members will drop left and right if they aren't banned first.  Can we afford to lose more members than we already have?  The last time posts were deleted, we lost half the activity in this forum.  So think hard and long about what you ask for, it might just happen.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:19 am
Commander

Unread post 
Valid points Big D.

If you keep a Smack Talk Forum, then it has to be moderated. That means any smack post stay in the area only. If it enters other forum sections, they are removed without any hesitation. That is the responsibility of the mod, whether it's the Smack Talk mod or the other area mod who discovers the "post" in his/her area.

It is true if you don't want to read smack, then don't read it. It is always easy to state that. However, what purpose does it serve to have someone posting comments about other users or other sysops? Does it really serve it's purpose here? If you remove Smack Talk, then the rule is simple: You want to strut your stuff to someone, then do it privately one-on-one and keep it out of the public forums. If you keep the Smack Talk area, then the rules have to be made clear AND enforced with no hesitation. Mods for Smack Talk have a hard job to do to keep it within their guidelines.

I am not afraid to say I do not like the Smack Talk area. I can choose not to read it, and if I do post in the area, I can accept the results. However maybe it is simple to make it hidden to the General public and only those "wanting" to partake in that area can "subscribe" to have their name added to the list for that area.

My main focus is to help players learn this game, teach them basics, teach them how to use the resources (such as this site, Nav Haz, etc). Some have come back saying they have questions but felt they would get some flame reply, and I can understand their position. I guess in the end it's up to the Admin and JP to determine what direction they want to see this go.

After all, at the end of the day, it's just a game. Keep the area, then enforce the rules. Regardless of "who" the person is posting. Remove the area, then you have to police the other forums to be sure they are not "smack" posts. I'm sure you can also expect help from us users to moderate our posts.

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:18 am
Gameop

Unread post 
I can see and agree with both of you on the Smack Talk forums. Sometimes they are a necessary evil. Sometimes they do spill over, and need to be reeled in, and sometimes there are times when there needs some intervention, and some people need a place to vent. I am like Thrawn, I personally don't like the Smack Talk forums, but come to realize they are a necessary evil, so to speak, if we keep them we get grief, if we lose them we get grief, so if we keep them we need them modded so that they do not spill out into the other forums. And when they do, they need to be put back into the Smack areas.

I agree, they do get out of hand sometimes and need some sort of modding, and some rules and control, but need it done in a way not to offend as well.

Double edged sword. lmao.

Forum and site down for now.
my Email is vulcan219@comcast.net now

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:35 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Gameop

Unread post 
Why not code in a choice to have it show? Or have it a subscriber based forum with a opt-in? I mean you have it for the sysop's so its just a matter of not making it public.

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:35 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post 
Kaus wrote:
Why not code in a choice to have it show? Or have it a subscriber based forum with a opt-in? I mean you have it for the sysop's so its just a matter of not making it public.

Actually this is a very good suggestion.  Maybe set it up as a subsribe forum only, and the admins could add anyone to the forum list that wishes to read the forum.

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:11 am
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post 
That Kaus is one of the best ideas i have read here in a long time and i like it, a request to enter topic area. yes i think thats great, i will discuss it with the IT Staff and we will see what comes of it i will post an info update to you guys in a day or so.

Admin.
Vulcans Forge Forums
Vulcans Forge TeamSpeak

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:38 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]