View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Edit request.. 
Commander

Unread post Edit request..
I don't know how to make an Edit. but I do know that it can't be easy.. so perhaps an existing one can be modified or tweaked..

Would anyone be interested in making a game Edit in which a player starts out with some resources, very low number of players allowed, low number of sectors.. etc etc..

Not gonna bore people with all the details here, but i do have more details to provide

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Edit request..
Send me the info and I'll create you an edit. Be specific on anything you want to exact specs.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:50 pm
Commander

Big D wrote:
Send me the info and I'll create you an edit. Be specific on anything you want to exact specs.

wow thanks.. i'll draft it up asap.

-= If Oil is made from Dinosaurs, and Plastic is made from Oil... are plastic Dinosaurs made from real Dinosaurs?
-= I like to keep my friends and my enemies rich, and wait to see which is which - Tony Stark (R.I.P.)

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:18 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Ensign

Hey all.
I agree with Lonestar, creating an edit, a good edit, can't be easy. I for one would love to know how it's done.
Once you have a theme, an idea, how do you go about creating the edit to end up with the type of game you had in mind.
i'm petty sure most of it will be down to experience of playing a lot of other edits and realising the good and bad points, improvements etc...
So what are the main things to consider when creating a balanced, red or blue game?
Any tips for creating a good corp or solo, turns or unlims etc....

I dunno if LS is finished with this thread yet but maybe as well to start a new one so hopefully others could share their ideas, opinions, experiences and knowledge.

I hope to see the this new edit specs too.
Thanx in advance.

I'm a TW and #SD# ing you was my idea!

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.~ J.T.Kirk

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:48 pm
Profile ICQ
Commander

Not too sure if you have been to our site, but in the TradeWars Academy section I started a TWGS library for SysOps. One of the areas I am covering is edits- importing/exporting and creating. It will be a basic tutorial but it should help. I'm still working on it but hope to have it completed within the next few days. At this time we have major flooding in our city and a State of Emergency was declared so I've been busy with Rescue/Evac orders from my Unit. I'll post again once I am done if you can bear with me for a few days.

Big D or Promethius- do either of you mind if I used one of your edits in the tutorial?

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:41 am
Veteran Op

The most time consuming part is the theme and naming the ships and planets. That however only adds to the appeal of the edit. The true settings are in the settings of those ships and planets. It's hard to get a well balanced edit, sometimes it's even by accident or by playing the game, testing it, and making needed changes. If I had to do a quick explaination of the best ways to get a good edit are these things:

1) At least 2 ships (one for blues and one for reds) that are somewhat comparable in odds and equipment. The red ship usually costing more than the blue ship (usually the issue).

2) The planets and ships should be balanced to where it's hard to invade an L6 planet, but not impossible.

3) Now for reds cashing, if you want to make it easy to cash, provide a ship with good holds and transport range to use for sst. If you want more of a blue edit, make planets that have quicker cits and decent fig production.

4) In a turn game, bigger ships of course have high tpw. Exploring/Gridding ships having less tpw.

5) There are several things reds like as edits: Good torping/killing ship, good cashing ship, fed safe torps off, 1 day bust clear, no rob/steal delay, good rob/steal percentages, lots of ports, a fast cits on crappy planets, but slow cits on production planets, cheap gtorps and dets, and a fair amount of starter cash.

6) There are several edits that can favor blues: Fast cits on good production planets, lots of colonists, bigger blue ship than red ship, stardock next to fed space, fed safe torps ON, lots of dead ends, expensive eprobes.

7) Aliens are a pain to get right. Those you just have to use the trial and error method to learn.

8 Turn games are much easier to get a good balance than a high turn or unlimited game edits.

9) Now personally, I don't like to make any ship that has offensive odds much higher than planet defensive odds are, which is 3:1 defensive. If its a smaller ship that won't be used for invasions, maybe 4:1 offensive odds, but not more than that. Also if you do have a ship that has high offensive odds, there needs to be a defensive ship with comparable odds, maybe a theolian type ship.

10) Don't expect it to be a really good edit without having players test it and accepting some feed back from those players. When you are making an edit, it's easy to overlook certain things and it needs to be tested to find these problems. Like the original edit for sub zero had no death delay. lol That's not good.

Best I can do in 10 minutes, hope it helps.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 am
Veteran Op

Thrawn wrote:
Not too sure if you have been to our site, but in the TradeWars Academy section I started a TWGS library for SysOps. One of the areas I am covering is edits- importing/exporting and creating. It will be a basic tutorial but it should help. I'm still working on it but hope to have it completed within the next few days. At this time we have major flooding in our city and a State of Emergency was declared so I've been busy with Rescue/Evac orders from my Unit. I'll post again once I am done if you can bear with me for a few days.

Big D or Promethius- do either of you mind if I used one of your edits in the tutorial?

Fine with me to use whatever edit of mine you want. Some of my edits are pretty old, so I'm not sure exactly which ones would be better to use as a tutorial. If you find one that suits your purpose, feel free to use it tho.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:54 am
Commander

Want to thank Big D for takign tim eout of his day tomake me a TWA .. Spaceballs themed.. Looking forward to trying it out somewhere (might have to purchase a twgs).

Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:29 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

LoneStar wrote:
Want to thank Big D for takign tim eout of his day tomake me a TWA .. Spaceballs themed.. Looking forward to trying it out somewhere (might have to purchase a twgs).

I see your TWA edit is as good as mine... let us see how well you "handle" it ;)

But risk has always been an inescapable part of warfare.

--

Knight to Queen's Bishop 3

Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:50 am
Gameop

LoneStar wrote:

I can host it on my private server for you. Invite some friends, Im sure I can con convict to play against you.

*Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.*

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:05 am
Profile ICQ
Commander

Thrawn wrote:
LoneStar wrote:

I see your TWA edit is as good as mine... let us see how well you "handle" it ;)

Thrawn! We meet for the first time, for the last time! Now you see that Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb :lol:

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Commander

Kaus wrote:
LoneStar wrote:

I can host it on my private server for you. Invite some friends, Im sure I can con convict to play against you.

*Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.*

That sounds great. I would like to check it out 1st just to make sure it has that 'balance' with the Schwartz.

One thing I've learned as a result of this, is Edit creation is Darn tedious.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:28 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]