View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ive asked this before 
Gameop

Unread post Ive asked this before
What type of server you think I should look at? Its that time of year again where im entertaining putting up a public server. I have all i need TWGS side. I am considering purchasing a older blade server or something with a low wattage and decent processing time. Maybe a celeron or the such as it is apparent only processing and bandwidth are for the most part important. Ideally it would be under 300$, capable of supporting up to 60 users, have a low wattage requirement so I don't freak about leaveing it on all the time(had a hosue fire before), minamalist settup(plug and go).. Bandwidth wise I prolly would be all set gotta love fiber optic service :-)
Any ideas? Recommendations? What are you running yourself?

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:56 am
Profile ICQ
Ambassador

Unread post Re: Ive asked this before
Kaus wrote:
What type of server you think I should look at? Its that time of year again where im entertaining putting up a public server. I have all i need TWGS side. I am considering purchasing a older blade server or something with a low wattage and decent processing time. Maybe a celeron or the such as it is apparent only processing and bandwidth are for the most part important. Ideally it would be under 300$, capable of supporting up to 60 users, have a low wattage requirement so I don't freak about leaveing it on all the time(had a hosue fire before), minamalist settup(plug and go).. Bandwidth wise I prolly would be all set gotta love fiber optic service :-)
Any ideas? Recommendations? What are you running yourself?

RiverCity ran on an old Dell with 256 meg ram at 1.4 gHz under Windows XP Pro. By old, the machine is prob 4-5 years old and I didn't seem to have any problems. I also ran on a DSL connection and it seemed ok with about 10 users online. I've pounded the machine pretty hard in local testing and ran 5 local machines at the same time through the router doing various things that include DLs of some linux distros and MS windows service packs.

Ideally, I would like to grab the wife's old desktop that is a 3.4 gHz with a gig of ram.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:36 am
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Ive asked this before
You don't need much. Go to newegg, craigslist or even ebay. I just picked up a 3ghz refurb'd dell optiplex for $60 w/ shipping, so there's a lot of good deals out there.

Here's a basic system from tiger direct that's under $100...

Linky:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 96&CatId=6

As for power profile, run it thru a NAT or firewall, setup XP pro's remote access thing and you won't need a keyboard, mouse or monitor. Just the tower. Plug it into a good surge suppressor or a UPS, good to go. Run it from a small corner somewhere and just use RA to bang games.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:18 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]