View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Why does linksys hate me 
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Why does linksys hate me
Quote:
Ive tried yes, however at some point between the forwarding service and this computer I'm running it off of there is a service preventing the connection. Banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

It's time to step thru this thing one layer at a time.

When I resolve darkdominion.dyndns.org I get 68.191.249.36
Is that correct? Make sure, go to navhaz and use the whoami tool.

Can you reach the machine from another machine on the same network?
If you can, then it's getting stopped at either the ISP level or
the router. If you can't, then it's getting stopped at the machine
level.

If it's getting stopped at the router or ISP level then take out
the router and plug in the machine directly to the modem. Reset
your IP and try again. That'll tell you if it's the router or the
ISP.

4. If it's the ISP, call them.

5. If you can't access the machine from another system on the
network then it's a setting on your machine. Setup another app
like an FTP server and try that.

6. If you can reach the FTP (or whatever) server then it's a setting
specific to TWGS.

7. If you can't, then it's a setting local to the machine.

Stop the guesswork. Report your results and we'll move on from there.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:42 am
Profile ICQ WWW
1st Sergeant

If it is at the machine level, check if you have a local user group on it called TelnetClients. If you do, only that groups members can access the server.

Kav

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:16 am
Gameop

Well dyndns resolves now, crazy part is I have no idea what was causing it. Was about to step through sing's above post (well the parts I havnt allready done) and fired up the server and its resolving the dyndns address correctly from all computers on the network. I'm also showing the connection as coming from the router itself 192.168.1.1 and am fairly confident the issue is resolved.

If anyone gets the time can you please try

DarkDominion.dyndns.org:2002

ICQ#31380757, -=English 101 pwns me=-
"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:24 am
Profile ICQ
Private 1st Class

i got on, no problem

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:29 am
1st Sergeant

Microsoft Telnet> open DarkDominion.dyndns.org:2002
Connecting To DarkDominion.dyndns.org:2002...Could not open connection to the ho
st, on port 23: Connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>

Kav

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:43 am
Veteran Op

nslookup:
Name: darkdominion.dyndns.org
Address: 68.191.249.36

Looks fine from here.

Prolly the TTL. Nameserver records have a specific "time to live" that says how long a record stays active. Even if the IP updates during that time frame, until the TTL expires your system won't purge the records unless you tell it to, ("ipconfig /flushdns" from windows) of course if your ISP's DNS server has an old copy of the record then you'll just refetch that one over and over... lol. Dynamic DNS records usually have a very short TTL, but some ISPs override it to reduce the load on their name servers.

Quote:
i got on, no problem

Yea, I can get on now too. Game A, "Star Wars Test Game" ...

What'd you change? Earlier when I resolved the IP (to the same IP address here) I couldn't connect. Was the server down then?

Quote:

Kav, it's port 2002 not 23. In windows telnet you don't use a colon to specify port, you use a space. It'd be...
telnet darkdominion.dyndns.org 2002

Instead of
telnet darkdominion.dyndns.org:2002

Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:49 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Singularity wrote:
nslookup:
Name: darkdominion.dyndns.org
Address: 68.191.249.36

Looks fine from here.

Prolly the TTL. Nameserver records have a specific "time to live" that says how long a record stays active. Even if the IP updates during that time frame, until the TTL expires your system won't purge the records unless you tell it to, ("ipconfig /flushdns" from windows) of course if your ISP's DNS server has an old copy of the record then you'll just refetch that one over and over... lol. Dynamic DNS records usually have a very short TTL, but some ISPs override it to reduce the load on their name servers.

Quote:
i got on, no problem

Yea, I can get on now too. Game A, "Star Wars Test Game" ...

What'd you change? Earlier when I resolved the IP (to the same IP address here) I couldn't connect. Was the server down then?

Quote:

Kav, it's port 2002 not 23. In windows telnet you don't use a colon to specify port, you use a space. It'd be...
telnet darkdominion.dyndns.org 2002

Instead of
telnet darkdominion.dyndns.org:2002

I took the server down around 3am due to frustration so that may have been why you couldnt resolve the name. As to what I changed, not sure I'm inclined to believe it was something to do with the DNS. I literally have the same configuration I did last night, only thing I changed last night was my router firmware. I had been reluctant to change firmware even though WRT54G has issues with not dropping connection's correctly due to fear of bricking it. However now that I went DD-WRT(http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php) I'm glad I did, turned this old 60$ router with no options into a 600$ router with plenty. Also has the added benefit that the router will automatically update dyndns with my IP instead of having to run dyndns's auto update.

"This one claims to have been playing since 1993 and didn't know upgrading a port would raise his alignment."

Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:11 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Quote:
I took the server down around 3am due to frustration so that may have been why you couldnt resolve the name.

I could resolve the name, it just wouldn't connect. Nothing was responding on the port. So if you had the TWGS down tho, that'd explain that.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:16 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Gameop

Singularity wrote:
Quote:
I took the server down around 3am due to frustration so that may have been why you couldnt resolve the name.

I could resolve the name, it just wouldn't connect. Nothing was responding on the port. So if you had the TWGS down tho, that'd explain that.

Well the Domain Name Server would have resolved but connection was block. As of 3am last night I couldnt connect, my assumption was it was ISP related and I intended today to verify that with a single connection to the modem (bypassing) the router. Fired it up and connected so I was unable to truely figure it out. I assume your prolly right with the TTL lease expiration (Charter is like the worst company ever; i.e. why im going to verizon). Frustrating cause I'm by no means a network idiot (Have a degree in it) and didn't even think about dos commands. Goes to prove real world > textbook(me).

Thanks again for everyones insight, definitly appreciate it. If your running a WRT54G look into the DD-WRT project, its a free linux based OS for broadcom (among others) routers. It was like going from a Dodge Neon to a Audi in terms of options and power.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:01 pm
Profile ICQ
Staff Sergeant

It sounds like you are experiencing the very same problem that I had. I was trying to set up a "sandbox" server for myself and my team for script testing, and it just would not work. It took me months of headaches to stumble onto the *actual* problem.

In my case, the problem was, the modem was not passing all incoming traffic to the router. The reason for this was the PPPoE location. The PPPoE was on the modem, which was assigning an IP address to the WAN and then the router was assigning IP addresses to the LAN.

First, Log into your modem, note your user name and password. Change the PPPoE setting from "On modem" to "on computer" (or something like that)

NOTE: You may, or may not be, warned that you will lose network access to the modem settings at this point. You will. After changing the PPPoE you will have to directly connect your modem to your computer to change any settings...

Second, log into your router, and change the PPPoE setting from "on modem" to "on router" and enter your user name and password. Now your router has full control of your internet connection and the settings and rules that you have set will finally work.

I searched for months to find an answer, and mostly I found helpful guides on how to setup port forwarding. I don't remember where I found this little gem of information, but I thought I would pass it on. Good luck!

Fri May 29, 2009 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2