View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Gold planet gtorp probability 
Commander

Unread post Gold planet gtorp probability
I've been reading stuff like this and this, trying to figure out how I can better control planet probabilities in my TWA.

A few people have suggested that Gold planets beyond the standard ones all have the same probability. If I disable all the standard ones and replace them with higher-numbered copies, will they all have equal probability?

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: Gold planet gtorp probability
In my experience.... NO. JP is talking about adding more control in a future release but not as of now.

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:59 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Commander

Hrm... I knew you couldn't delete the default planet types, but you can't even disable them. So much for that idea.

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It was a bit tricky expanding the planet count without drastically changing the planet probabilities. What I decided to do was block off a 10% chance for receiving an expansion planet type. Basically, if you roll between 90 and 100 on a probability roll, then there's a 20% chance you'll get the standard Vaporous/gaseous, or if you roll 100 you always get it. The other 80% of the time, you then roll for an equal probability of receiving any of the expansion planet types. So yes, there basically is an equal chance that you'll receive a Gold planet type.

I will consider ways to provide more control over planet distribution. At the time I had so many things I was adding that I just went with a quick implementation for expanding the planet generation probabilities.

Help fund the TradeWars websites! If you open a hosting account with A2 Hosting, the service EIS uses for all of its sites, EIS will earn credits toward its hosting bill.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Commander

That makes sense. Until there's more control, I think I'll create additional copies of one or two of the more desirable standard planets. Then players will have at least a 5-10% chance per gtorp of getting them with the overloading method Cruncher suggested.

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]