View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Miscelaneous Ship Settings 
Staff Sergeant

Unread post Miscelaneous Ship Settings
Does anyone know if the "Fusion Drive" option actually does anything, and if so, what it does?

Tue May 28, 2013 10:28 pm
Commander

Unread post Re: Miscelaneous Ship Settings
IIRC, it causes ships to lose less of their resale value each time they port. There have been a few edits where players could make a lot of money selling captured alien ships, and the trophy alien ships have "fusion drive" to increase their value. Otherwise it doesn't really matter much, because how often do you sell a ship?

Wed May 29, 2013 2:07 am
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

Cool, thanks. I never realized there was a drop in ship value when it ported.

Wed May 29, 2013 8:08 am
Chief Warrant Officer

Jev, Mongoose told me herehttp://classictw.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33935
Mongoose wrote:
Aliens are of such little consequence in most games that I've never really paid much attention to how their spawning works.

When they started taking out my fighters when I was trading I would go and hunt them down, especially if one of them was in an Alien Starship, which was simply incredible. I ended up with nearly a hundred ships in one of my sectors. I sold some, but it seemed like more trouble than it was worth. Had the server stayed up, I probably would have written a script for it, but I also would have written a script to make sure that all of my SBB ports had fighters and to replace those that aliens took out.

I captured and moved Vulcan, Romulus, and two Ferrengals, yet they kept respawning. If I put in fighters or a planet, they respawned faster, and eventually I needed to restock the planet and\or fighters.

Aliens can be fun to hunt down, but unless you want their ship, I recommend that you leave them alone, because regardless of how many you kill, they always come back, and sometimes with bigger ships and more fighters. If I play another game with aliens like that, I will just work around them.

Wed May 29, 2013 3:08 pm
Staff Sergeant

I can't tell if that was accidentally posted to the wrong topic thread or not.

Wed May 29, 2013 7:58 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

Jev Zhuco wrote:
I can't tell if that was accidentally posted to the wrong topic thread or not.

Wrong thread, wrong board, there are so many possibilities!

Mongoose wrote:
Otherwise it doesn't really matter much, because how often do you sell a ship?

I just wanted to planetary trade everyday, but the aliens kept taking out my fighters, so I took them out, and ended up with several dozen ships, which I could have sold, but it would have been a bother.

Thu May 30, 2013 2:55 pm
Staff Sergeant

Heh, you think it's bad when players take out your fighters. I remember the first time I logged into a game after 2000 or so; I had never played in the "gridding" era (my previous game had been on a dial-in BBS five to ten years before).

All I knew was that, everywhere I went, there were fighters from one of two corporations. I tried density scanning through the few safe areas, but ultimately gave it up as futile, so I started popping figs. That brought a planet down on my head (and I was like, WTF?!). I made it back to Stardock, traded in for a Scout Marauder, and was so irritated with this new playstyle I started lawnmowing out of spite (though I didn't know the term).

Players from BOTH corps started sending me angry messages, accusing me of working for the other side. I think I might have enjoyed it had I decided to change my goals from "winning" to "trolling", since it appeared that was very easy, at that point.

Fri May 31, 2013 8:23 am
Ambassador

I don't care for this style of game either, but nothing can compete against it. So you have to do the same thing.

If you have a lot of aliens, they can interfere with the grid. Tournaments are rarely played with aliens though.

TWGS2.20b/TW3.34: telnet://twgs.microblaster.net:2002

ICQ is Dead Jim! Join us on Discord:
https://discord.gg/zvEbArscMN

Fri May 31, 2013 2:35 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Ambassador

Micro wrote:
I don't care for this style of game either, but nothing can compete against it. So you have to do the same thing.

If you have a lot of aliens, they can interfere with the grid. Tournaments are rarely played with aliens though.

One of the cool things about version 2 is making the aliens hyper aggressive. I have seen sub zero games where I had lost 1/4 of my grid to them daily

I had to ask myself WWSGD?

Fri May 31, 2013 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Staff Sergeant

I've never really "won" a game anyway (I tend to play solo, which isn't a winning strategy in any game, including life itself), but I could enjoy pissing people off in that kind of game. :p

Fri May 31, 2013 8:28 pm
Chief Warrant Officer

I have two friends that have ever played Tradewars and for both of them it is a dim and distant memory. They play games with pictures and stuff.

I really hate grids, whether they work for you or against you. I try to actually take care of real-life responsibilities, so I find empty games and build. However, unless I built a very strong defense, including a grid, someone would come in and take my stuff. One guy kept lawnmowing. I do not think that he did more than that, but he took out fighters that I needed, and so I wrote a p-drop script. After I killed him a few times he disappeared for a while, but apparently came back once he found a better script.

I just put mines in my important sectors and that delayed him enough for my script to get him.

After that, he decided to hurt my feelings. I couldn't really p-drop his messages, but I did not need to.

Micro wrote:

That might reduce the impact of aliens in tournaments.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]