View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Bug-The Blockading Of Stardock. 
Lance Corporal

Unread post Bug-The Blockading Of Stardock.
This is a very old "bug" The blockading of stardock and fedspace. I just recently got back into the game and this was the exact reason i left in the first place. There should be someway of getting out of fedspace if it is blockaded.

suggestions

1) Scout maurader class vessels and pods get cleared from fed space on the hour.
2) Antareen Battle Flag purchased in the H option in stardock owner towed hourly.
3) Towed out to empty space- not in the space lanes cleared at extern.
4) Indestructable fedspace ports or Stardock level ports.
5) Have the feds zoom in and out of fedspace as an Alien level group attacking any figs and mines out of fedspace.

These are just a few examples. I would love to see some of them or one of them or any other solution.

To the flamers who claim superior skill allows fedspace to be blockaded......

I say the blockading is no different then exploiting a bug to gain an advantage over others. One that sadly has been overlooked in every revision of TW2002.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:19 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post Re: Bug-The Blockading Of Stardock.
good luck with this one.

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:35 pm
Veteran Op

Not a bug. It's an intentional feature in the game. If your sysop wants to change it, he/she can by just putting stardock next to fedspace.

Quote:
1) Scout maurader class vessels and pods get cleared from fed space on the hour.

Wha? So you're saying these ships should get towed from fedspace on the hour? I'd love that... would make it so much easier to hunt and kill them. As it is now ppl get podded and sit in fedspace for ages.

Quote:
2) Antareen Battle Flag purchased in the H option in stardock owner towed hourly.

The wha? You're talking about some random edit that we don't know.

Quote:
3) Towed out to empty space- not in the space lanes cleared at extern.

Oh yes, please. That'd make it very easy to kill them. Oh wait, that's exactly the way it's done now! You're assuming there is "empty space" to tow people to. That's where you're having your problem, your competition has gridded up the universe and probably ran an "amtrack" around the MSLs so that there is no empty space to tow people to.

Quote:
4) Indestructable fedspace ports or Stardock level ports.

Shrug. Make the rad clear 1 day, that way they regen every single day. After a handful of kills they'll get too strong for all but a maximized edited ship to handle. In the meantime, it's hardly an issue. If someone wants to keep spending their resources to blow a dock that'll just regen the next day, more power to them.

Quote:
5) Have the feds zoom in and out of fedspace as an Alien level group attacking any figs and mines out of fedspace.

You mean adjacent to fedspace? There are some sysops that run clear scripts, there's no need to make that a game-level feature.

Quote:
I say the blockading is no different then exploiting a bug to gain an advantage over others. One that sadly has been overlooked in every revision of TW2002.

Yeah but that's not really up to you, is it? It's up to the sysops to make the game however they want. There are numerous ways to do what you're talking about, there's no need to change the game for it.

If you feel that the game you're on is too easily blockaded then I would suggest talking w/ your sysop. Pointing to them the possibility of running sysop-side scripts or putting dock next to fedspace.

But obviously there's a difference between using a knock-off bug and simply putting figs around fedspace... lol.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Commander

I'm not sure what your complaint is .. other then your lack of player skills.

We SysOp's can help to some degree.
I have produced a SysOp script pack that contains scripts that help
in game setups.

One script mentioned by Singularity , Port Fixer
moves stardock next to sector 1 and turns the port
into a SBB port so if you have credits you the player
can buy ore and a transwarp and warp out provided you have a fighter
somewhere or fed safe.

But as far as the towing hourly , I dought that will be written or implemented
anytime soon. That is just not part of the game.

If a game is too hard check at http://www.thestardock.com/twgssearch/index.php for an easier edit.

Hope this helps someone.

Discord @ DiverDave#8374
Vid's World Discord

Founding Member -=[Team Kraaken]=- Ka Pla

Winners of Gridwars 2010
MBN Fall Tournament 2011 winners Team Kraaken
Undisputed Champions of 2019 HHT Just for showing up!

The Oldist , Longist Running , Orginal Registered Owner of a TWGS server :
Vids World On Guam

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Gameop

Darwitch wrote:
This is a very old "bug" The blockading of stardock and fedspace.
[...]

LOLLOL!!11!111111!!!!

helper : http://svn.thereverend.org:8080/revhelper/

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:41 am
Veteran Op

Were still talking about "Trade Wars"? key on the second part of the name "Wars" there are several places that are hosting building games that might be more suited to your taste. Look hard enough and I think there is a version of "Trade Hugs" where the only weapons are cannons that shoot cotton balls. We wouldn't want to have an injury. Sysops insurance rates are to high as it is. :wink:

Proverbs 17:28 <-- Don't know it, most should it would stop a lot of the discussions on here.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:50 am
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lance Corporal

"LOLLOL!!11!111111!!!!" - the reverend

yeah very useful comment....

"Were still talking about "Trade Wars"? key on the second part of the name "Wars" there are several places that are hosting building games that might be more suited to your taste. Look hard enough and I think there is a version of "Trade Hugs" where the only weapons are cannons that shoot cotton balls. We wouldn't want to have an injury. Sysops insurance rates are to high as it is." - T0yman

Another useful comment.....

"good luck with this one." - Legion

Thank you. Someone has to stand in front of a tank, might get ran over but gotta try.

unless you are there just after Banging a game and i do mean as soon as it opens up, you might as well not play if fedspace gets blockaded. 800 or so figs in every sector of fedspace starting out. game over. How did that require skill?

30 min. of time in anything over 4k turns anyone else who logs in is just Sol. I have been in a game that used the move SD next to fedspace as mentioned by someone who provided a useful comment.

Just home from work settled in how bout a good game of tw2002. So I log in. Wow the game has been banged goody last game was just a refresher game.Someone else is in game ,just happened they had 45 min. on me. I see the SD sector and warp there easy since its right off Sector one no danger. Get a good ol holo scanner. Scan from SD. Its blockaded 500figs every sector. Well guess its game over they won no need in playing now should just cby right there...good game right?

"I'm not sure what your complaint is .. other then your lack of player skills." - Vid Kid

How have my player skills even remotly been tested...Where did I go wrong? How is this player better? Thats what the useful commentors would like to think took skill, or was it just timing?

So what options do you have?

Buy one fig and get towed out at extern if theyve "amtracked" it then this is of no use(actually been in this scenario)?
Buy a twarp and fuel and hope for a empty sector?
Just run out into the figs maybe help the next player?
Just use the Facilities and write on the wall?
Play tricon maybe get enough to really help the next player?
Bother the big guy in the undergound and get murdered make the big headlines?

I know ill just go watch a movie in the Cineplex, Star trek XXV always does make me laugh.

By all means enlighten me The game lasted 45 min. and the winner is the one who Blockaded fedspace. Can i get a bang? They won put a notch in thier bedpost. Well done and done quickly. Bravo what skill they mustta had.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:35 pm
Veteran Op

Quote:
unless you are there just after Banging a game and i do mean as soon as it opens up, you might as well not play if fedspace gets blockaded. 800 or so figs in every sector of fedspace starting out. game over. How did that require skill?

Uhm. You must be playing a lot of unlims. This isn't always the case. Just wait a few hours for extern to run and mow thru to dock. It'll be clear. Of course there's no guarantee that the universe will still be clear enough for you to run around.

Quote:
30 min. of time in anything over 4k turns anyone else who logs in is just Sol. I have been in a game that used the move SD next to fedspace as mentioned by someone who provided a useful comment.

4k turns is a lot of turns. Even if dock isn't blockaded, it's quite possible with 4k turns and a big enough time advantage to lay figs around the universe and mess up people's alignment. That's just for starters, if a person is seriously in the mood to lock down the game they can do so w/ random fig drops, ship drops, torps, pdrops, etc.

What I'm saying is that even if you clear out the area around dock every hour (and there are some sysop scripts that do this during a truce period), if someone is intent on locking it down... there are plenty of ways to do that other than dock blockades. You can't stop them all and still keep the game playable.

The solution to that is to play slower games, ie: lower turns. A 1k turns game and an alternate route to dock will get you in. Provided, of course, you get in within a day of the bang. Give someone a day or 2 advantage and they can make life more difficult, give a decent corp a full day advantage and you're probably not getting in.

That's just the nature of those type of games. One of the most important aspects of playing the game is knowing how to select the right kind of games, and knowing what games are already done.

There are, of course, some sysop-level things that can be done. Some games have a small truce period (ugh) in which blockades aren't legal. Other games (like my slow hand edit) just make blockades illegal during the "startup" period. Other games give ships strong starter odds, so it takes way too many figs to make a successful blockade. Others run clear scripts that clear adjacent to dock and fed, and paths down the MSLs. Others put the dock next to fed, so you can atleast get a scanner and wait for extern.

I guess my point is this: Strictly speaking, what you're asking for isn't going to help you. But those of us familiar with the startup problem have devised other ways (within reason) to make startup more plausable. And as such, you have numerous options to chose from... you just have to look around. Which, in the end, is what you need to do... choose games that best fit your personality, style of play, game habits and skill level.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:36 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Lance Corporal

Guess what im saying after visiting your site and poking around a while. Its very fine if i get #SD#'ed most likely will in the heavier games. I still remember a game a long time ago. It was an old MBBS game. There was no hope of winning. They could have easily #sd# me. They coulda blockaded SD and fedspace and just let the game ride as they did back then. I got out was running around trading and such and came across a toll fig ...well i entered popped it. Went on trading exploring looking for my big base place. came across another toll fig. This time i was taught a lesson. Pwarped a planet on me..boom. lesson learned nope. Got to SD got another ship was out again. Would run around just hitting figs and trading away. DEFIANT till the end. Ifinally had to get a havoc gunstar to get back into stardock to by cloaks. I promptly named it The Red October. I poped out of SD only to get poped because i was at 1004 xp.(another lesson learned) As i sat in my pod wandering how to get back to SD i heard over fed com " I guess the hunt is over!" I did manage to get in another Gunstar and we had many good hunts of the october. I know there are Hordes of players better then me but to just be defeated in fedspace. To have no way out. to not be given a chance to be hunted. To not feel the rush of getting away with hitting a fig knowing they are waiting. Just give me away out. Let the gridders and mowers and such go about their thing. Im not afraid od a pod or #sd# just let it be from something besides a CBY. I cant learn nothing sitting in Fedspace.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm
Lieutenant J.G.

easy.

get there at bang time.

or play a truce game.

truce would probably be more of what you want if you need a refresher.

since you will probably just get killed soon in a regular game.

but once you get your refresher status done.. try some non truce games.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:16 am
Veteran Op

Quote:
They coulda blockaded SD and fedspace and just let the game ride as they did back then.

Nod. People still do, it depends entirely on the game and the player's in it. Some games have more aggressive players in it, others prefer to close things down early, others prefer to keep the hunt going. I've been all of them at some point.

Quote:
since you will probably just get killed soon in a regular game.

Shrug. He might. He might not, either.

Many times I've been in a game w/ several corps, and seen a few solo players moving around. Mostly my efforts had to focus on the other corps, since I knew in the long run the solos could never compete against our corp's turns. As such, it's sometimes easier to just let them go and not waste the ore, turns, torps, whatever, to kill them.

Of course sometimes the fly becomes a pest and needs squished, but solo players can get a decent game early on. Once you hit midgame tho, and cashing is organized, grid gets out and grid defense starts getting focused... well, the solos are history. No single player can compete against a focused corp's grid defense. An edge is an edge and math is math.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:40 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]