View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 TWGS CPS SETTINGS 
Lieutenant J.G.

Unread post TWGS CPS SETTINGS
In any future release of TWGS it might be nice to have an option for gameops to set the cps for individual games rather than globally. With intensive use of various tactics and scripts in one game it can cause players in other games to get bumped at crucial times due to massive lag. Might be a major coding task though.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Unread post Re: TWGS CPS SETTINGS
That's an excellent suggestion. Games that require massive scripting should be throttled. Others may not need to be throttled at all. The problem is, the cps doesn't effect aliens and that's one of the biggest causes of lag. You can limit the aliens and cut down on the move chance and it will help some.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:56 am
Ambassador

Big D wrote:
That's an excellent suggestion. Games that require massive scripting should be throttled. Others may not need to be throttled at all. The problem is, the cps doesn't effect aliens and that's one of the biggest causes of lag. You can limit the aliens and cut down on the move chance and it will help some.

The stock 4 cps setting pretty much throttles everyone down, and is frustrating to me as an unlim player. I found a decent compromise to be about 50 cps running on an old 1.4 gHz box with only 256 meg ram. I have another old 3.4 gHz box with 1 gig ram that is gathering dust so I may have to try it.

I am curious what the impact of AT&T Uverse will have on a home TWGS setup since it runs my TVs and phones in addition to the Internet connection. I was straight DSL for the server with cable TV seperate before.

"A man who has no skills can be taught, a man who has no honor has nothing."

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:08 pm
Profile ICQ
Veteran Op

Promethius wrote:
Big D wrote:

The stock 4 cps setting pretty much throttles everyone down, and is frustrating to me as an unlim player. I found a decent compromise to be about 50 cps running on an old 1.4 gHz box with only 256 meg ram. I have another old 3.4 gHz box with 1 gig ram that is gathering dust so I may have to try it.

I am curious what the impact of AT&T Uverse will have on a home TWGS setup since it runs my TVs and phones in addition to the Internet connection. I was straight DSL for the server with cable TV seperate before.

I don't think the phones will have any noticable impact. I've ran phones both hard line and internet along with server and it didn't seem to effect it at all. The TV? I can't help you there since I've never done that.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:45 pm
Veteran Op

I have the comcast "triple" package thing. TV, Internet and IP telephony. The cable comes in, splits off only once so there's no signal loss. TV happens on a separate frequency set, so it won't cause any noticeable problems. The IP telephone thing might cause some, but I've never noticed any difference with or without a call.

1. TWGS server @ twgs.navhaz.com
2. The NavHaz Junction - Tradewars 2002 Scripts, Resources and Downloads
3. Open IRC chat @ irc.freenode.net:6667 #twchan
4. Parrothead wrote: Jesus wouldn't Subspace Crawl.

*** SG memorial donations via paypal to: dpocky68@booinc.com

Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:57 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]